Search

DC Visit with Young Kids

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 07:50 AM
LG2
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC Visit with Young Kids

On their way to Sesame Place (PA) in June, my son and his family are considering a 1-2 day stopover in Washington DC. They have 4 boys: 12, 6, 4, and 17 months (in June). Since I can't dissuade him, I'm hoping to give him some suggestions to benefit the 6 and 4 year olds. They have already been to the zoo and aquarium in Chicago, so I'm hoping for something else. Any DC experiences with young kids? Thanks!
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 08:14 AM

Boys, that is easy. Natural History museum and the Air & Space Museum. They have IMAX movies and such to keep them occupied. Also, a trip to the top of the monument is pretty cool, and the subway is great--they will love that! Have them consider a hotel with a pool.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 09:09 AM

Even if they've been to another city zoo, it's worth loking into the National Zoo, which has been renovating several exhibits. And Chicago doesn't have pandas!

At Natural History see whether the hand-on insect exhibit is still open. And check whether they open the Carousel on the mall this year.

Rather than the Washington Monument which has a tiny viewing area and timed tickets, visit the old post office which provides a view almost as good and much less crowded.

Old Feb 17th, 2007, 03:14 PM

LG2: why the negativity? DC is a great place for kids of all ages, especially in the summer months when they can take advantage of the many outdoor spaces that flank the memorials and museums.

I second (or third) the recommendation for the Natural History Museum. Younger kids especially enjoy the Mammal exhibit, with its large variety of taxidermied animals. There is also a hands-on "Discovery Center" there for small children that is opened during certain limited hours.

Next to the Natural History Museum is the Outdoor Sculpture Garden of the National Gallery of Art. In the middle of the garden is a large fountain with a comfy ledge -- sitting on the ledge and splashing is a favorite activity of my little nieces and nephews, as is the carousel across the way on the other side of the Mall. Small kids also find plenty to enjoy at the Air and Space Museum, just looking at the large planes and space ships.

The FDR memorial is very popular with young children -- lots of room for kids to run around, sculptures to touch, mulitple water features. On the other side of the Tidal Basin, near the Jefferson Memorial, paddleboat rentals are always a favorite.

Special kid-friendly programs at the museums can be found by perusing for the Smithsonian: http://www.si.edu/kids/ and this for the National Gallery: http://www.nga.gov/kids/kids.htm Also check the individual Smithsonian museum websites -- many of them have activity guides that will help the kids get more out of the museums. The Natural History and Air and Space Museum have IMAX theaters, and there is usually at least one film playing that is suitable for younger children.

There are a number of boat tours going up and down the Potomac that would probably be of interest, some plain, some fancy, leaving from either the Southwest waterfront or Georgetown Harbor. Here is one that would be particularly suitable for younger kids because it is relatively short in length: http://www.capitolrivercruises.com/index. html There is also the DC Ducks sightseeing tour that goes on both water and land, which leaves from Union Station. The boat trip can be a great opportunity to relax tired feet and arms.

Old Feb 17th, 2007, 04:07 PM

DEFINITELY do the National Zoo! The boys will love the panda exhibit, which is something they don't have in Chicago! The suggestions of the Air & Space and Natural History Museums are also very good.

I spent a lot of time in DC when I was these kids' ages. My grandad worked for the government, and he and grandma always made sure I did educational things when I visited. I still remember the old pandas at the Zoo (long deceased now), and getting to play with live bugs at the Natural History Smithsonian!
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 06:45 PM

Great thread, just what I was searching for! I was kicking around the idea of taking our kids as well...4 and 1.5yrs. Sounds like there is enough with the museums, zoo and monuments to keep them busy for a weekend. I think both the kids would LOVE the Air and Space Museum.

My question, if anyone could answer it, do we need to rent a car? I heard the metro stops can be confusing and result in out of the way walks. Do the museums and monuments have reasonable parking or is it better to just stick the tots in a stroller and hoof it from the Metro and is the Metro safe?

Also, another question is how long does it take to tour the different museums? Are there eating establishments in the museum?
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 04:56 AM

As a native of the area, I must tell you that the Metro is very safe! You will find that it is clean and not intimidating (very different feel from New York). If you are using it to see the museums, you will get off at the Smithsonian stop and be in the middle of all of them!

As for how long they take, that depends on your family. Since they are free, you won't feel wasteful if you don't spend much time in one or another. There are places to eat and I suggest the cafeteria at the Native American Museum - yum!
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 05:46 AM
JJ5

I just returned and saw families like yours in Air and Space. There was immense interactive there for all your ages. Also the zoo is fine.

You do not need a car. The Metro is easy. If you need help, go to the booth by the in/out islands and ask. The people will help you with your machine ticket purchases. You can get anywhere all day for 1 sum. We got unlimited for a week for $22. We would only have to pay extra at exits if we went way beyond Alexandria- or if we left before 9:30 am rush hour end. And that may not even apply for a 1 day. We never did either and got off/on on average about 7 or 8 times a day, and if we had left at 7am that would have been only a couple of dollars more. Kids are less, I think. I bet you could go anywhere for the day at a low, low cost. And you can enter/exit without any charges at any of the Smithsonians. The Native American and American History were closed- getting ready for later exhibits.

Hit the zoo, we are zoo people and have seen probably about 20 to 25 in the USA. This is easy on the Metro- plus it is an easy walking zoo- not miles square as some are. Animals are somewhat in habitat, but close up and pandas and tigers are especially worth it.

Which zoo in Chicago did you go to? This is better than Lincoln Park. MUCH!
Not as huge, nor as inclusive as Brookfield.

With boys do the Air & Space and Nat. History. They are very close to each other on the Smithsonian exit (Metro) and have numerous interest and interactive too. Believe me, you might get off at another exit as well, and quickly, and see a few monuments or the reflecting pool too. As said, FDR and WWII have immense spaces for running. Good snack /lunch near the Vietnam wall too, perfect for kids. They even have gelato.