Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Challenge: Last minute July 4th trip from Bay Area--Yosemite?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,

Doctor's orders--no flying for me over July 4th, so our plans to fly back east to spend the holiday with family are out. But, we already have the dog kennel reserved, so I am wracking my brain for something fun, within driving distance from Oakland, CA for the holiday weekend?

My thoughts:
1) Yosemite. Embarassing, but I've never been there and would LOVE to see it. Will it be disgustingly crowded and take away from the beauty because its a holiday weekend? Any suggestions for last-minute hotel booking? Looks like Blackberry Inn has a room available. Any comments? Would love to stay at Narrow Gauge Inn if they have availability--any comments? I did check the official Yosemite website, and they show no availability.

2) Lake Tahoe. Never been during the summer--what fun things to do? Any reco's for hotels?

3) Something along the northern California coast--just not familiar with what is there at all. Any suggestions?

Sorry this seems a little vague--just fishing for good ideas! Thanks in advance for any ideas!!

AZWildcat
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:19 AM

Hi AZ,

Yosemite will be a screaming zoo of people. The only way you will get away from the worst of the crowds will be to go for a long hike up highin Toleume Meadows. Maybe you are not up for that right now.

I would go to Tahoe, especially if you have never been there. Everywhere will be busy on the 4th, but Tahoe is such a big area that the crowds will be more spread out. Personally, I would stay anywhere except the south shore (casionos). Plus there are lots more lodging options and lots of fun things to do. It's very beautiful, you'll enjoy it.

Have fun!
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 09:39 AM

I can't imagine Yosemite being more of a screaming zoo of paople than Tahoe. Probably some of the most crowded summer times is the time around the 4th of July. The traffic through Tahoe City can take hours to get through. Cars back up for miles - past Sunnyside Resort to the south and far past the Boatworks to the north.

Usually Incline has fireworks on the lake so if you can find something in or near Incline I'd stay there. Otherwise go with the coast for less crowds.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 10:52 AM

Try for Tahoe, any hotel/motel around the north shore. They spread their Fireworks out over several days.

Kings Beach and Squaw Valley have their display on July 3rd. Incline Village on the 4th, as well as Tahoe City, and near Homewood on the west on the 5th.

You might make a dinner reservation at the Lone Eagle Grill at the Hyatt Incline now, to be able to see the display from the beach, otherwise, only guests with wristbands permitted on their private beach.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 11:04 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Yosemite would be VERY difficult. W/ 140 closed all the traffic will have to funnel in through fewer entrances and the traffic will be a nightmare.

Hwy 50 to Tahoe will also be a mess. Taking hwy 80 to the north or west shore will be easier. Book something immediately.

OR - you could go somewhere different entirely -- Plumas County, or Lassen or the far north coast like Garberville or Fedrndale.

But whatever you decide, decide ASAP, like yesterday . . . . .

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 12:58 PM

Hi QAZWildcat, here is my thinking. I-80 gets very heavy traffic going north on Friday afternoons. In that the 4th of July will be on a Tuesday I am of the thinking that the Friday of June 30th will be a "getaway" day for a lot of people. I say that as I have heard of several people that are going to take Monday July 3rd off from work so that they have a good long holiday weekend.

Sooo, if you do decide to go to Lake Tahoe (and I would go I-80 versus turning off on 50 to go to southshore) I would try to do that on Thursday at least, if this is possible with your schedule.

I agree with others, if you are going to go somewhere I would reserve your room etc. ASAP. From people I have talked to it seems that the 4th of July weekend due to the 4th being on a Tuesday is going to be an extremely busy holiday weekend. Best wishes to you.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 01:12 PM

Sounds like you're set for Tahoe, but just a note that July 4 is the most fun day of the year in Ashland, Oregon. A real Small town Parade followed by food and fun in Litha Park, then Fireworks to top off the night.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 02:00 PM

Ashland, OR, what a great idea! A beautiful little city. Of course I love Oregon AZWildcat, but something you might look into..bbqboy has a good thought.