Reload this Page >

cell phones in Los Angeles

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2002, 04:24 PM
melinda

What service plans provide the best coverage in Los Angeles? Specifically, I'm going to move to the Westwood/Santa Monica area and want to know what plan (i.e. Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, Cingular, etc.) is the best and which to avoid. thanks!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:41 PM
Tim

I've had my Sprint plan for over a year now and have been happy with the service. It's nice to have national coverage and am able to call friends and family on the weekends with all of my excess minutes.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:14 PM
Mina

With all due respect to Tim, I strongly disagree. My opinion: Sprint sucks.

I think theoretically, their plans are great, but I have never had so many dropped calls, analog roams, and problems "connecting" in general. I was relatively happy with Verizon, but our company gave us Sprint phones (so I can't really complain, since it's free). However, every person I've spoken to in my company about the phones, (at least 10 people) hate Sprint compared to their previous service.

I get analog roaming in LA all the time, which is ironic since I got a full signal once in the middle of nowhere. Also, I travel all over the country and find coverage to be horrendous.

Once at a Best Buy, I heard the salesperson pitching Sprint to a doubtful guy. I couldn't help but say that my service was less than satisfactory. The salesperson brushed me off and told me that it was probably my phone, and that I needed a good phone like "X" model to get clear reception. To which I replied "Buddy, I have that phone."

Bottom line is that no service is perfect...but I'm really surprised that Sprint has made me long for Verizon!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 12:49 AM
sprintblows

Sprint? Ugh, talk about the worst customer service of ANY industry! They now charge your account just to speak to a human; they want you use their crappy automated Claire system that doesn't understand a word you say. Stay away!!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 04:07 AM
Jason

I'll chime in. Verizon is far superior to Sprint. At least if you do have a problem, Verizon is readily available to fix it. Sprint has cute commercials but lousy customer service. And watch your bill as Sprint has overcharged me and several other people I know!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 08:25 AM
Janie

I've had my sprint service for close to two years and I guess have been fortunate enough to have had no problems with my service or customer service. I like the fact that I can call in on my phone at any point and find out how many minutes I have remianing for the month. So many of my friends with other providers say that wish they had such a service.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:22 AM
Agreer

Another vote for "Sprint Sucks!"

Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:22 AM
Agreer

Another vote for "Sprint Sucks!"

Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:28 AM
Barbara

I live in this area & am very happy with Verizon. No complaints so far...been using them since December.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:28 AM
sd

I'm with Sprint PCS and it sucks. I use it for business so it would be to inconvenient right now to change since I am self employed. If I had to chose again it would be with Verizon. Try calling Sprint if you have a problem - it takes about 20 minutes to get a real person only after you type in your telephone number twice and then the first thing the customer service person asks if for your telephone number! SPRINT SUCKs and I hope they read this.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:36 AM
Mina

Wow...looks like I'm not the only one who thought "Sprint Sucks". Thank God my phone bill goes directly to the company so I've never had to deal with the customer service.

Verizon does have good customer service. I once lost my phone in Atlanta. I was able to get a person in CS, no problem, and they made sure I wasn't charged for unauthorized calls. Very prompt, very helpful.

Now the Verizon Customer Service people aren't to be confused with some of the numbnuts who work in the Verizon stores. Once, a CS person told me of a deal on purchasing a phone (this after the lost phone incident). When I went into the store, they said no such deal existed, and when I persisted that I was told about the deal by a CS person, the store people stopped short of calling me a liar. So I called CS to cancel my verizon service, as I was frustrated and peeved. They told me the store people were idiots, called the store for me, and told them to give me the deal.

Welcome to L.A.!

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 10:26 PM
joe

Thought this may be interesting to you Melinda...

If you go to a search engine like yahoo and type in "Sprint sucks" there are countless web pages denouncing Sprint. I did the same for Verizon, and while there are some, it doesn't seem as widespread as Sprint. Apparently, the previous posters aren't the only ones who think Sprint sucks.

Unfortunately, I have Sprint, and I think it sucks.