Reload this Page >

NYC on June 2 - 1st Sunday - Parade Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2002, 09:23 AM
MHS

Just realized that we will be in NYC on the same day as the PR parade -- staying over after Lincoln Center performance. Are considering going to Brox Bot. Garden (from Grand Central - staying at Lex & 52st street Hotel)and then back, pick up luggage and Metro-North home.

Would this be a problem with the parade route on 5th? Would alternative of going down to see the immigration museum, lower east side I think or Chinatown be a problem?

After the past riots/problems associated with this parade, I am concerned and dismayed to discover it's the weekend we will be there. Thanks for any practical options -- too late to cancel, besides this is The ballet I want to see this year.
Thanks again.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 09:38 AM
aMom

The Bronx Bot. Garden is a good idea. Just avoid 5th avenue between 44th St. to 86th Sts. It will be mobbed and probably rowdy. South of 44th should be fine and areas a few blocks east or west of 5th avenue (along the parade route) should also be OK.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 09:59 AM
suzanne

Getting out of the city is a good idea. The whole Upper East Side as well as Central Park will be noisy and crowded, as will the public transportation to the area...bring earplugs just in case.

The Bronx Botanical Garden is beautiful and pleasant. I had a family picnic there on Easter a few years ago (yes, they let you bring in your own food). My grandmother volunteers there. Another option is the Bronx Zoo, right across the street from the BBG...it's HUGE so you'd get lots of exercise walking around. The apes know sign language...can be very entertaining!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:15 AM
x

The parade shouldn't disrupt your Saturday plans. In terms of your hotel, the only issue might be with finding a cab to GCS because of traffic. The subway on Sunday.

Just get back from the Bronx before the drunken crowd makes it back home after the parade.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:24 PM
aa

To Z: I have been to Puerto Rican day parades and St. Patrick's day parades. For the record, there are as many drunks, if not more, wandering around the city during and after a ST. Patrick's day parade as opposed to the PR day parade.

Old May 24th, 2002, 03:45 AM
rqf

As long as you don't have to cross 5th Ave.from 42nd to the upper east side the parade will have no impact on you. Enjoy the day at the Garden.

Old May 24th, 2002, 10:14 AM
suzanne

aa:
Yup - St Patrick's Day is equally as bad (possibly worse - the people - including cops - drink an awful lot). I try to avoid Manhattan on any parade day...it can be a madhouse.

Old May 24th, 2002, 04:03 PM
patty

I just read in today's Daily News that the Puerto Rican Day Parade will be on June 9 this year. So if you're here on June 2 you only have the Philippine Independence Day Parade (on Madison Ave between 23rd & 40th Sts) to worry about!

By the way there is Puerto Rican Day Festival in the Bronx on June 1.

Old May 25th, 2002, 06:08 AM
suzanne

I saw this in the newspaper too...the parade is Sunday, June 9th.