Reload this Page >

celebrating birthday in portland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 01:12 PM
marie

Does anyone have a good idea where to celebrate a birthday for a 16 year old boy? We will probably go to Malibu Grand Prix, but we have already done that before. All the ice cream parlours are closed down. Any suggestions? It's a family get-together.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 11:38 AM
A

A 16 year old at an ice cream parlour? You must be kidding! I can't imagine that most 16 year old boys would want to be caught in public with their family, not alone at a kiddie place. I'd suggest taking him out for a nice adult meal and then giving him the car keys so he can go celebrate with his friends.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Melissa

Is there a Dave and Busters up there? Pretty popular with teens-adults males. It's a grown up arcade with bar service for adults and few to no little kids running around/older games, etc.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Melissa

Just read my reply and realized you may be thinking this is just a bar with games. It's actually a regular restaurant/bar (like Cheesecake Factory or similar) with the games section at the back.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 12:32 PM
beachbum

16 is a tough age. But they have more options at Bullwinkle's in Wilsonville than at Malibu. My son's been to late night (10:00pm - 1:00am) parties there that he's enjoyed because of no little kids and fewer parents. He's also had fun going to mid-night bowling parties.

Or you can drive three hours to Game Works in Seattle!

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Sara

TGI Fridays is kinda fun - busy. My guy friends like the waiters at Red Robins. Another option may be one of the McMenamins places. Could go to Kennedy School and have dinner then go watch a movie in their theater and soak in their pool. There is an extra fee for the movie and pool.

I am proud of you for taking your 16 year old out with the family. If it expected that he spend time with the family and the family is fun then he won't be embarrased. I think parents assume that therefore giving their children permission to be rude and spend time away from family.

I really like City Search's website for Portland. See what you can find. Good Luck!

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 04:01 PM
David

I'd have to second the recommendation for a family meal at a nice restaurant and then let him go hang out with his friends. My 17 year old is a 4.1 gpa student, responsible, and very respectful to adults, but he would want no part of hanging out with the family at a go cart place.