Search

Cash/Credit?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 01:31 PM
JC

Cash/Credit?

Hey
I have a general question for all you travelers??? Do you pay cash or use Credit Cards when paying for a vacation???
Do you find yourself in debt after paying for a vacation?? I have a friend who travels a lot and charges all her trips on her American Express Card. To me this can add up..Especially if you take more than 1 vacation a year.

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 01:33 PM
John

I use an airline affinity Visa card which racks up airline miles, then pay it off when I return. It gives you extra frequent flyer miles and added protection in case something goes wrong. I don't travel with too much cash anymore since most places I go (US, Canada, W Europe, etc.) have ample ATMs.

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 04:13 PM
2Cents

JC-American Express requires that you pay within 30 days. They are very strict about this. I think using a credit card as opposed to cash is a good idea because you are protected if anything goes awry. However, people can and do get into trouble when they do not pay it off in 30 days.

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 05:23 PM
Paul Rabe

By paying for large purchases on my Discover Card, and then paying off the full balance when the bill comes due, I'm almost EARNING money by using this credit card. The 1/2% return on total purchases applies even if I pay off the bill in full.

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 08:05 PM
Me

I always use our AMX card because I earn points that go towards airline fares. I also pay the amount due at the end of each month (BTW, AMX now has an extended payment option...)

Two reasons I use a credit card: 1. the local currency is converted (don't have to tax my brain on vacation) 2. carrying real money -- cash -- isn't always advisable.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 05:51 PM
Olga

I use cash... Try and pay my vacation off as soon as I book it.. To easy to get in debt charging vacations all the time... Unless you can pay them off quickly...
Olga

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 06:48 PM
Lillian

Like one other poster, I too use a Visa card that grants freq. flyer miles. Even though I have the cash on hand, I always use my credit card . It comes in handy for the added protection. As soon as the bill comes in, I just write a check and be done with it. One other thing, AE has a credit card that revolves, you might want to check into it. Happy Traveling.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 05:20 AM

I don't carry much cash on vacation -- maybe just to buy items under $10 or if we're having fast food. It's important for me to have credit card receipts to keep track of what is spent. (With Quicken software I can easily keep track of names of restaurants, what was spent.)

Fortunately, travel costs usually get spread over several months of bills. I often have the plane tickets paid before we leave. Then the vacation purchases and expenses often drift over a two month period. (And am grateful to have the money to pay off each card each month.)

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 05:22 AM

P.S. We don't spend much for Christmas, but usually have those credit card bills spread from October to January, too, because we shop early. Works great!!

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 10:07 AM
Lilly

Credit all the way baby!!! Earn frequent flyer miles!!

LILLYYYY

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 04:16 AM
Debby

We save the for a vacation, then do like a poster above, and charge everything but very small items. We usually have everyting paid off by the second bill after return. One big help has been the Xmas club. I have an automatic deposit every payday, which in Nov. I transfer to a regular saving acct. We use a very small part of that for Xmas and have most of our vacation money in the bank before leaving.

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 05:36 AM
Me

IMHO, it defeats the purpose of a vacation if you have to go into debt to have it. We live in a society where many don't understand delayed gratification. There are lots of things that can be done on free time that cost nothing. Hopefully, the vacations expand as the resources increase.

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 04:19 PM
Lela

Layaway (as I call it)- Paying in monthly installments...