Reload this Page >

Carry on bags - Need Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 05:50 AM
PG

I will be traveling on United for business in a few weeks with only a carry bag. I want to able to bring items with me such as a nail clippers, small scissors, tweezer, etc. How do people carry-on items like this these days? Or do they? I plan to contact United also but wanted some opinions from experienced travelers. Thank you.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 06:02 AM
Howard

The answer is simple: If security is doing its job, those items will be confiscated. How are they carried on? They're not, but rather are packed with checked luggage.
I'll add that if you "luck in" and the items are not removed, it means that security is doing a lousy job! So, you really wouldn't be so lucky!

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 06:17 AM
Dick

I'm not sure about United, but I flew on USAir last week and they had a list of allowed/prohibited items at the check-in counter. The nail clippers would have been definitely OK, the scissors definitely not - not sure about the tweezers.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 06:40 AM
cd

A "carry on" and going for business, suggests you won't be staying a long time. So, get a manicure and tweeze those brows before you leave home.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 11:05 AM
Donna

It doesn't matter which airline you fly, the security people check for all airlines. I had a pair of nail scissors taken away from me.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 11:54 AM
Cindy

I flew on United last week. I took one of those little turbo-props from Sacramento to San Francisco; a passenger had a nail scissors in her purse which was confiscated, even on that little plane which wouldn't do a hijacker much good. Suggest you leave these items at home, and buy some at your destination if you're desperate.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 01:18 PM
Gail

I know USAir has a list on their website. Check your airlines. On USAir, tweezers are OK--no scissors allowed.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 05:40 PM
PG

Thanks for the info. I am sweating already. I was hoping that being by the coast would be helpful but it doesn't sound like it.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 05:42 PM
PG

Whoops - I replied to the wrong post above. As for this one, thanks for the information and I will be leaving these items at home.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 08:26 PM
Lois

I would recommend not packing any of those items. It is likely they would be confiscated. I flew on another airline recently where it had been said tweezers were okay, and they were taken. They were a really good pair, and I haven't been able to replace them with a pair equally good, and I wish I hadn't been told they would be okay.