Carmel to San Luis Obispo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling from Carmel to San Luis Obispo end of June (during the week) and wondering how the drive is on Highway 1? Safe, or scary?
Not a big fan of winding, curvy roads, but if the weather is good, and views are worth it and it's not too difficult to drive, will do that route instead of taking a boring highway route(101)... What would be the drive time with HWY 1 take versus HWY 101? Thanx...
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Well parts of Highway 1 between Carmel and San Simeon are quite winding and curvy with steep drops on the ocean side of the highway. But if you take your time, pull off to the side to let faster traffic pass, it is not that difficult and well worth the effort, especially if this is your first time. Beautiful scenery with many worthwhile views to stop and gaze at.

Drive time? Depending how fast you go and how often you stop. Maybe 3-4 hours, longer if traffic and weather come into play.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 10:23 AM

Take HWY 1, it is a winding road but the scenary is not to be missed especially since you will be traveling with the ocean out the passenger's window. Definetly 3 - 4 hour drive, so make sure your plan your meals & drinks accordingly.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 10:51 AM

We went down to SLO taking Hwy 1. I was on the passenger side, and going south the drop to the ocean was on my side. SCARY!! But so beautiful!
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 11:01 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
We will tell you it is not to be missed -- and it "isn't so bad" - which is true.

But just how much do you dislike winding, curving roads?? Because it definitely IS winding, curvy, and hilly w/ some very sheer drop offs.

Just don't to mislead you . . . . . .
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 11:02 AM

should read "Just don't want to mislead you . . . . . ."
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 11:23 AM

Hwy 1 from Carmel to Ragged Point is winding for about 90 miles. It is beautiful but the one thing that bothered us was rounding a tight curve and finding a bicyclist on the road. Unfortunately, they have no other place to go so it is very dangerous in my opinion. We just took this route a week ago and loved the drive (about our 3rd time) but have decided never again as we were so worried about hitting a bicycler. Beautiful tho.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 12:06 PM

Not as scary as the road to Hana (due to the absence of local drivers trying to overtake on blind corners).
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 05:35 PM

Definitely take Highway 1. The drive is about 130 miles and takes 2 1/2 to 3 hours. The views are spectacular, and this is a trip you will never forget.

Thousands of drivers do it each year, and everybody--including first-timers--are better for the experience.

As you approach San Simeon, look for sea lions basking in the sun along the side of the road.

Take a walk on Moonstone Drive, just south of Cambria, and drive through the town of Cambria. Have lunch at Linn's.

Enjoy.

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 05:36 PM

Erratum: "...just north of Cambria..."
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 05:53 PM

I didn't say it isn't a gorgeous drive. And it isn't a huge problem for most drivers. It is one of the most famous scenic drives in the entire country

However - only you know how nervous you really are about winding/cliffside roads. All I'm saying is - the mere fact you even asked this question means you have some concerns.

I personally don't give hwy 1 a second thought - but I HAVE known some friends/relatives, unused to mountainous driving, to panic on a few different roads: Hwy 1 through Big Sur, Hwy 89 around Emerald Bay at Tahoe (and Myers grade for that matter), the Amalfi Coast, etc.

If you are a confident, competent driver - it is definitely an amazing drive.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

thanks ALL for your replys. Have decided you only live once, so will do HWY 1. weather permitting. I trust my own driving and have been on some scary winding roads before (but only as a passenger), but its other drivers (and bike riders) I worry about. But we will be driving beg of week so maybe there will be less traffic.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 09:00 AM

It will be a little better during the week. But please pull over and let cars pass if there is a big line behind you (like more than about 3 cars). I can't say how many times I've driven that route with someone who is obviously nervous, going about 15-20 miles an hour. This results in unsafe attempts to pass and very frustrated drivers behind you.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 03:28 PM

The drive and view is rated as one of the top five in the world. The total drive from Carmel to SLO is 133 miles, but a major part of that is not along the coast and is not winding or curvy.

It is really only from about Big Sur to San Simeon (65 miles) that is what everybody freaks out about.

During the week is a good time to drive it. Just don't let people push you into driving faster than you want and if they do then pull over at a look out and spend a few minutes.

If you watch the traffic you see that it travels in clumps. There will be a bunch of cars then a gap and then a bunch of cars.

I have done the ride three times on my motorcycle and I watch for the clumps then wait a few minutes and pull out.

The alternative is to take Hwy 101 and that is a suckie drive, yes it is flat four lanes and fast, but it is boring.

During the week I have done the section between Carmel and Cambria in a little over an hour and I don't speed (that much).
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Thinking about maybe stopping for lunch either at POST RANCH INN or VENTANNA Inn (reading Ventanna Inn Restaurant closed thru June beginning of each week due to construction, maybe open end of JUNE?) for a pit stop...
The views look great from these places...
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 10:10 AM

If you are going in June, there will likely be fog along the coast at that time of year.

Have a nice leisurely hot breakfast in Carmel, enjoy their gorgeous beach. Then start out around ten or eleven in the morning when the fog clears.

Do a hike at Point Lobos State Reserve just south of Carmel.

Then head south at a leisurely pace. The road is windy but it's a good road and the curves at not that bad. There will be lots of pullouts, so take advantage of those for the gorgeous views.

Maybe lunch at Nepenthe if you don't want to stop at the other two places you mentioned.

If you lunch at Post Ranch, you may want to stop off at Pfeiffer Big Sur and do a small hike through wonderful redwoods. Then on down and stop at Nepenthe anyhow for the gorgeous views.

Continue driving and stop at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park and visit McWay Falls. Easy hike to the viewpoint. About 1/2 - 1 hour stop.

Then drive down to Cambria. From Cambria onward, Highway 1 is relatively flat and easy to drive.

Dinner at the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo?
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 10:29 AM

They've opened Hwy 1 today after the rockslide at Devil's.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the "driving and traveling" advice. I remember going to Hearst Castle 10 years ago in May or June, and it being very foggy in the morning. Probably best to book afternoon tours at the castle... thanks again..
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 12:06 PM

It's a beautiful drive but windy. Don't drive it at night, of course. If you're a photographer, you'll be sorry you didn't drive it.

Remember to pull over if someone is on your tail. It drives us crazy having to crawl behind tourists who don't pull over and we need to get where we're going within a reasonable time.