CARMEL, SAN FRANCISCO & ?

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 06:20 PM
joanie

CARMEL, SAN FRANCISCO & ?

I am planning a trip to the west coast. I will have six nights. I have thought of spending the first two nights (Thurs. and Fri.) in Carmel and the last three (Sun.,Mon.&Tues) in San Francisco. I am looking for someplace for Sat. night. Would it be possible to spend a night up in the Russian River area? Any other suggestions? Or should I just add a night at Carmel or San Francisco?

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 08:55 PM
cheryl

I just got back from San Francisco yesterday. I really enjoyed it. There is a lot to do there. You can go to Muir Woods; it is beautiful there. Also, there are some beaches on the west side, like Stinson Beach and a few others. One place I don't recommend is the exploratorium. It is a place mainly geared for kids; it is kind of like a scitrek.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Bill

You might want to consider Monterey since it's between the two destinations.

Another option is stopping off near San Simeon to check out Hearst Castle.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Native

joanie,

How are you getting to California and where are you arriving? Can't help you out without knowing this for reasonable and practical purposes.

Native

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 09:39 AM
x

montery is right next to carmel so i would just pick one place to stay in - carmel is more expensive then montery. i'd just add a night onto san fran or carmel/montery.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 06:14 PM
emily

You could do the Russian River area as a day trip heading out of SF, but...I think the advice to see Monterey is good. Also, if you are into Carmel-type places there is always the option of Sausalito or Tiburon as a day trip from SF as well.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 06:29 PM
kam

Don't know why I always disagree with Bill, but I do. With six nights Carmel/Monterey/Pacific Grove for two nights and the rest of the time in the city sounds fine to me. The Russian River is quite a way north in Sonoma Co. You could do that if you wanted to give up Carmel/Monterey but I don't think you can do it all. Traffic's just too bad to bounce around the Bay area like that. You'll be frustrated and tired just from driving. Have you ever been to SF? If not, add the day to the city---there's plenty to keep you occupied. If you've been here, add a day to Carmel and drive the hwy 1 through Big Sur. Come back---there's a lot more to see.