Search

Carmel & Monterrey

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carmel & Monterrey

Was wondering how far is Carmel from Monterrey will be going May 31 for 3 nights coming from Yosemite and want to know where it is better to stay Carmel or Monterrey I know they are close to each other but, want to know if it is feasible to book a hotel in either city and still be able to do what is around both cities without having to change hotels, if it is possible where would be better to stay? Thank you for your time and suggestions.
Gina
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 07:06 AM

Yes you can book a hotel in either city and still be able to do what is around both citys. You do not have to change hotels.If you stay in Carmel for instance, with some traffic involved( mostly summer) it should only take appx. 10 min. to be in Monterey. Can be less in off season.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 07:23 AM

Another option is Pacific Grove, which is the town in between Carmel and Monterey.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you guys for your help.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 03:22 PM

Go to www.pacificgrove.org. This is a terrific small town with great bed and breakfast hotels with views of the Monterey Bay. GRANDVIEW INN, SEVEN GABLES INN AND GREEN GABLE INN all have good rooms and views. Check it out. You can drive from there to Carmel in about 10 minutes. Pacific Grove has most of the coastline on the MOnterey Peninsula. Most people even mistake it for Monterey.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 03:56 PM

Don't know if you are in a certain budget for hotel room, but my daughter just stayed at Tradewinds Inn in Carmel and said it is fantastic: romantic ambiance, sort of Balinese influence, fireplaces in room, breakfast included. There's a web site, and also, see its reviews on Tripadvisor.com. Lowest prices for it were on travelhero.com
A nice place to eat is Patisserie Boissiere in Carmel. Yummy shepherd's pie and other goodies.
As all others have said, Carmel and Monterey are easy commute--sort of run right into each otehr. You can buy tix in advance for the Aquarium, if that 's a destination for you, at mostt of the hotels/motels.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Traveldawg & Calinurse, thank you both for your input. I will definitely give those websites a check, as far as a budget not really, it four girls going and we are planning on staying in the same room, I have found some places don’t have a problem with that do you have any suggestions or do they have houses for rent there? Thanks for the heads up on tickets to the Aquarium, since we are in that subject are there any zoos is California (besides San Diego, too far) between San Francisco to Monterrey or maybe a little further up?
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 06:53 AM

As far as i know there is a zoo in San Fransico.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 07:51 PM

Had you thought of renting a condo? There are many in Pacific Grove, and they usually cost the same, or even less, than a hotel room. Try googling....'condos' (or apartments) Pacific Grove. We have had some very comfortable and lovely rentals that way. More space. ability to eat breakfast, or anything else without going out. Snacks and drinks at your fingertips.

As others have said, the three communities are very close together, with Pacific Grove being in the middle.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 08:01 PM

Also try...vrbo.com and cyberrentals.com. There are more, but you will find them by playing around with google.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:02 AM

I think you'd like Carmel best - wonderful shopping, quaint. Monterrey has some nice attractions but I found it much more touristy. Personally - I'd never go again. Carmel however - I'd be back in a heartbeat.

Pacific Grove would be a good compromise.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 06:41 AM

austin- and Carmel is not touristy?????
What did'nt you like about Monterey?
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to thank you all for the great suggestions.
Gina
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 01:16 PM

Carmel is very far from Monterrey. Actually, it's a different country. Monterrey is in Mexico. Monterey (one R) is in California. Be careful while making reservations - using computers it's easy to go wrong.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

1 more question how far is Marina-Seaside from Monterey and carmel? (sorry trying to find a nice hotel) and see they have some good once in that area.
thanks
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:31 AM

Marina-Seaside is a short drive from Monterey. I don't know about any of the hotels there, but the area itself isn't particularly appealing. There isn't anything really wrong with the area, it just isn't where I would choose to stay on vacation - it is sort of bland. There isn't really anything to see close by - you would drive into Monterey and Carmel everyday anyway.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

J Correa
You have been great help. Thanks,
Gina
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:48 PM

I would not stay in Marina/Seaside.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 08:38 PM

Triple the suggestion not to stay in Seaside/ Marina. It's the suburban not cute part of Monterey, you know, where Best Buy and Costco are. I like Casa Munras in Monterey for reasonable accomodations walking distance from the wharf. The walking tour of Monterey is nice. There is a zoo in SF--not one of the best but they're fixing it up one exhibit at a time, so it's still worth a visit if your kids really like zoos.