CArlsbad Caverns or Mount Rushmore?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had suddenly found a four-day opportunity in your summer vacation schedule -- and were interested in the two destinations listed above -- which would you choose?

I just keep flip floppin...

Would be particularly interested in viewpoints from people who have been to both. I plan on traveling solo right now, though it is possible a friend will be able to meet me there...but I won;t count on it for planning purposes.

Thank you for any advice you may have!

LP
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

I left out the important part: I am interested in some casual hiking...and general learning about the area. I'll probably do this somewhat on the cheap side of things...nothing too fancy for this (sweaty) trip. Thanks!
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 02:58 PM

I have been to both and if I were going in the summer (as you say you are), I would choose the Black Hills. There is some great hiking there (the hike up Harney Peak is one of my favorites) and the weather is so much cooler than you will find around Carlsbad Caverns.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Longhorn. No one I know has been to both...so your perspective helps!
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 03:06 PM

I have been to both, and would choose Carlsbad Caverns. There are several tour options, plus an opportunity to see the evening bat flight, which is really cool.

Mt. Rushmore was something to see once, but the caverns are much more of an "experience."

That said, I can see why you are "flip floppin." The area around Carlsbad is not nearly as scenic as the Mt. Rushmore region, and there's a lot to do around there.

Assuming you did Carlsbad, you could probably fit in a visit to a couple of nearby New Mexico areas of interest, such as White Sands in Alamorgordo and/or the Ruidoso area, including nearby Lincoln, with its Billy the Kid historic sites.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 03:57 PM

I've been to both . . Would choose Carlsbad if I had to choose. You do not get very close to the Rushmore faces . . many options for seeing Carlsbad.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 05:21 PM

I've been to both, and would probably choose Mt. Rushmore, but not for Mt. Rushmore. Mt. Rushmore is near the Badlands, and that definitely is worth seeing. Mt. Rushmore is fine, but not worth a lot of time. But I've traveled all over the country and never seen anything quite like the Badlands.

If you do go to Carlsbad Caverns, be sure to be there around sunset at least one night, to watch the bats.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

See why this is hard

Thank you for all these thoughts...sincerely.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 05:52 PM

Carlsbad...Sooo amazing and yes, watch the bats .. I remember the guide turning off his light for a minute ... scary.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 05:53 PM

Another vote for South Dakota. And I agree that while Mt Rushmore is nice, it was nowhere near my favorite part of the trip to the Black Hills. Custer State Park is wonderful with some great hiking and amazing wildlife.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 08:15 PM

I've been to both, and found each to be fascinating in their own right.

But, if we're talking about FOUR days in the SUMMER, I'd pick the Mount Rushmore/Black Hills option.

While Carlsbad is uniquely beautiful (and the temperature underground is consistently cool) it really only takes a day to see it. Most other things you'd do for the other three days would be above ground in the heat of the desert.

Activities in the Black Hills area are much more varied and amenable to summer. You could easily spend twice as much time as you have trying to see everything - there's even a pretty decent cave (Wind Cave) and a hot springs.

Definately do Carlsbad Caverns sometime, but save it for a trip in the late fall or early spring.

Old Jun 15th, 2008, 10:23 PM

With only 4 days, Black Hills are the more convenient destination...
From there, a lot of sightseeings in a little mileage : Custer Park, Wind cave, Mammoth site, Spearfish canyon,
Badlands...
Nice hikes if you like it in Custer Park or badlands and in Spearfish canyon,
Nice caverns(Wind cave or Jewel),
Nice wildlife(Custer, Wind Cave, badlands)
Some museums(the Journey museum in Rapid City and the western heritage in Spearfish worth the visit)
Some fine dining : Game state lodge in Custer, the corn exchange in Rapid City
And a nice indian shop : the Prairie Edge in Rapid City.
And an airport in Rapid City...

For Carlsbad, problem is not in the
beauty-it's very nice, but 4 days is really short.
You can flight to El paso or Albuquerque, or in a more little town, but there are more miles than from Rapid City/Black hills.
And out of the caverns, you have a lot of miles to drive for other attractions : Guadalupe state park in south,White sands at the north...
Less hikes, not a lot of restaurant...It's wilder, but if you like desert it's a must.
Alone, I would preferr Black Hills.
With someone to share the drive, New Mexico is a nice option.
Erik

Old Jun 16th, 2008, 05:22 AM

Been to both and would vote for the Black Hills over Carlsbad for all the reasons already listed, but most importantly to avoid spending 4 days in the desert in the summer -ugh.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 10:48 AM

I've also been to both more than once. It would be a hard decision and others have given you all the pros and cons. The only thing I will add, is if you are planning this trip over the 4th of July weekend...AVOID Carlsbad Caverns at all costs! That place turns into a ZOO!

Utahtea

Old Jun 17th, 2008, 04:45 PM
kit

What great information...marking for myself...
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 05:11 PM

I'm in a similar situation, and am going to head over to Mt. Rushmore in 5 weeks, then driving over to Devil's Tower.

If you want caves while you're in the Mt. Rushmore area, I just found that there is the Jewel Cave National Park (second longest cave in the world and celebrating it's centennial this year), and the Wind Cave National Park.

Info on Jewel Cave National Park can be found here http://www.nps.gov/jeca
and Wind Cave National Park here
http://www.nps.gov/wica

Hope this helps you in making your choice! When are you leaving?
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all...sounds like maybe Rushmore area might be better for my late August vacation. You've given me much to ponder...and maybe I can hit Carlsbad Caverns for a weekend trip, since I'm rally most interested in the Caverns themselves.

I think I am going to go with Rushmore...

MAny, many thanks!
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 07:35 PM

Good choice!

The desert is fascinating but not in the heat of August!
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 08:18 PM

Despite the fact that it is the second longest cave in the world, I found Jewel Cave to be extremely mediocre as far as its underground features are concerned.

Wind Cave was much more interesting, both above and under ground.

If it comes down to a choice between the two for you, I'd recommend Wind.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 06:46 AM

I think you made the right choice, LotsaPasta. Isn't it wonderful to have the luxury of vacation dilemmas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -