Carlisle, Pennsylvania - sisters' night out

Feb 11th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Carlisle, Pennsylvania - sisters' night out

My sister and I are ditching our teenage daughters with their cousin at Dickinson College for one night, and we want to stay somewhere, well, fun. Not EXPENSIVE fun, but maybe just a little different, whimsical fun, or maybe even just the neighborhood might be fun. Suggestions for dinner would be cool too. Thank you!
Feb 11th, 2008, 08:39 AM

I would suggest Hershey for something different (check the Hershey Theater & Giant Center schedules), Lancaster if you want lots of Outlet shopping and light sightseeing or Gettysburg, with history and a few nice restaurants.Pick a city (all are reasonably close)and add some more preferences.
Feb 11th, 2008, 08:43 AM

almost forgot. How about Berkley Springs, WV. An easy drive south on I81.Nearby Cacapon State Park has a nice lodge, the town has a few nice restaurants and a massage at the Spa might be fun!I promise that the drive is as easy as it gets.
Feb 11th, 2008, 10:22 AM

If you go to Berkeley Springs and like to shop, check out the Old Factory Mall. Here is the town's web site:http://www.berkeleysprings.com/
Feb 11th, 2008, 04:56 PM

About 3-5 miles south of Carlisle is a little town called Boiling Springs, named for the underground springs that "boil" during the winter.

Located there is the Allenberry Resort Inn and Playhouse, along the Yellow Breeches, which is known for it's year-round catch & release fly fishing (the Breeches, not Allenberry).

The lodging is located in several different cottages, lodges and houses spread out over the 50+ acres of a former estate.

Allenberry first started out over 60 years ago as a restaurant, and now there are several dining options available throughout the complex.

They also have a playhouse which has been presenting professional theatre for over 50 years.

So you can have dinner, watch some theatre, relax with a drink afterwards in the lounge, sleep in a cottage in the woods, and do some fly fishing if you so desire.

About 15 years ago I stayed in the Meadow Lodge during a four-day conference held at Allenberry. The rooms were nice, but average, although they did provide turn-down service with a piece of chocolate on the pillow. I remember that we ate a lot of good food at the buffets, and the grounds were pleasant to stroll around, even though we were there in the winter/early spring.

www.allenberry.com

The only other suggestion I have would be if you enjoy drinking beer. There is a brewery/pub located in Carlise, I think on the main street, although I have never been there, so I can't recommend it. I just know there is one on our list of mico-breweries to visit.

Robyn >-