Reload this Page >

Carefree, AZ Resorts

Search

Carefree, AZ Resorts

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 05:51 PM
Nancy

Carefree, AZ Resorts

For my past 5 or 6 vacations to AZ, I have always stayed at Boulder's.

I have been told a Fours Season's opened at the the beginning of 2000. Deciding if to return to Boulder's or give the new place a try.

Do not golf - main reason for vacation is relaxing and fine dining.

Anyone have suggestions or comparisons?

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 06:14 PM
Carol

Nancy we moved away from AZ about 12 years ago but go back regularly and frequent the resorts there, including the Boulders. We're staying at the Four Seasons next month but have only driven by in the past. You know the Boulders. It's major downsides in my opinion are distance from Scottsdale and pool area which is not as nice as, say, Phoenician and Gainey Ranch. Four Seasons has the same downside of being a hike from town, but I don't recall seeing the pool area. It has a nice foothills view of the metro area and feels very peaceful and secluded. None of the red rocks, of course, which make the Boulders scenically unique. We've stayed at Four Seasons resorts all over the world and I can't recall anything subpar about service at any one of them, so I'm sure service will be top notch. And it's just over a year old, so no concerns about wear and tear and aging issues. Any kinks should have been resolved.
I find Conde Nast's Gold List ratings reliable most of the time. The current numbers are Overall: B-78.3, FS-75.2 Rooms: B-77.2, FS-76.0 Service: B-79.3, FS-80.0 Design: B-80.8, FS-72.0

For reference, Phoenician is 81.0 overall, Princess 73.3, Biltmore 73.5, Enchantment (Sedona) 71.4
Outside AZ comparison: FS Maui 90.6, Lodge at Koele 93.1

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 06:52 PM
Nancy

Carol,

I agree Boulder's is a distance from
Scottsdale. - we are planning on staying at the Hermosa Inn or the Sanctuary on Camelback for a few days, then going to Carefree. Have stayed at the Phoenician in the past. Checked out Gainery Ranch but thought it was too "hotelish" vs. private casitas.

We like staying at Boulder's because it is "out of town" where you can see the cacti and sometimes hear coyottes. That makes it special. Also enjoy the unique pathways and rocks

Glad you wrote about the view from 4 Seasons. My first choice is the desert view; that's why I'm staying out of town.

I noticed the picture of the pool in the 4 Season's website and it looks interesting.

For reference, do you have the current Conde Naste ratings for Boulder's?

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 09:56 PM
Carol

Boulders ratings (2001): Overall 78.3, rooms 77.2, service 79.3, food 78.8, layout/design 80.8

(2000) 83.6 (overall)
(1999) 88.3

A suspicious trend, eh? Down each year.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 05:14 AM
Nancy

Sorry I asked you to post Boulder's numbers twice. Although I read it with first time; it didn't sink in.

Glad you supplied the numbers. I also go strongly with Conde Nast's recommendations and have not been disappointed. I do not have my 99 copy for comparison so I did not see the downward trend until you pointed it out.
My last trip there was in 99 when it was the overall 88.3

Thanks for the insight! I would appreciate you posting after your trip.