Search

Car Rentals in Maui

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 03:40 PM
gyppielou

Car Rentals in Maui

I have everything booked but a car---for January. We want a SUV or a convertable. Should we buy our time, for rates on compacts to go down, or are they as low as they go...400 for compact for 2 weeks inclusive of charges---and upgrade to the best available when we land---the daily sales? Any thoughts and advice is greatly appreciated.

Old Dec 8th, 2001, 09:23 AM
tani

I think you'd be better off to continue watching the car company sites for specials. Alamo and Thrifty tend to offer really changing rates, so I just check often. I also find the 800 numbers have good specials sometimes. Try using your Costco card discount (if you have one) as that seems to give great discounts. Also, If you are flying Hawaiiian or Aloha into Maui, ask about specials in conjuction with your flight.

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 03:56 AM
Vicki

You can always book something and then change if you get a better price. That is the good thing about car rentals (except priceline, etc), you can always cancel at the last minute. I found some fantastic rates at Alamo on Hawaii Specials. I think they entended into Jan. You might want to check into it. Have a fantastic trip in Paradise!!

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 06:36 PM
g

Thanks for your replies and any others to come...I have already noticed a drop in the base rate. Do all rental agencies offer an upgrade upon landing to their least sold cars?

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 12:23 PM
ADS

gyppielou. most certainly check the websites for deals. We were just in Maui two weeks ago.......I got a convertible deal from Dollar for 167 for five days. So check Dollar and Alamo. Watch out for the insurance they try to stick on ya and be sure not to leave ANYTHING in your rental, keep the windows down slightly, and doors unlocked. Some of the kids on the island like to vandalize and they WILL breaks windows if they have to, so this way, they can take a "peak" and leave your car along.

By the way, Dollar has a 35.99 SUV sale going on right now. Go to there website and click on specials. Have anymore questions post them here and I will answer.

Have a fantastic trip.