Car Rentals & Types while in Hawaii

Jun 26th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Car Rentals & Types while in Hawaii

Hello,

We will be staying on Kaua'i(8 days), BI(4 days) & Maui (7 days). What type of car should we get for each island. I was think the following;

Kaua'i - Convertible
BI - SUV/Jeep
Maui - SUV/Jeep for Road to Hana.

Am I "off the road"? :0)

Also, how do I find a "package" for fly/drive? Do I have to do this through a travel agency? or through the airlines? rental car agency?

Thanks
Jun 26th, 2003, 09:12 AM

We've had a convertible on both Kauai and Maui. A regular car on BI. Loved the convertible. We had the cars arranged with the lodging though. On Kauai the condo place ahd a car option, with Budget, and on Maui the car was included in the deal also Budget. No problems either time.
Jun 26th, 2003, 09:14 AM

I personally, would prefer a SUV on Kauai/Big Island and a Convertible on Maui for the Road to Hana. But as others have said previously you can get by with a convertible on all 3 islands. All the major on-line booking agencies, expedia, orbits, travelocity offer fly/drive/hotel packages, as do travel agencies in hawaii. Airline websites also getting into the act of fly/drive/hotel booking but usually packages cost more here.
P.S. Is Floridagal a.k.a. Nancy03? >-)
Jun 26th, 2003, 09:27 AM

I guess I'm one of those California SUV-
driving residents so I do prefer a smoother drive while on vacation to easy living places like HI.

Being in a pretty sunny place, that isn't 100 degrees, that smells as good as HI does and is slower paced than the ususal rat race, it's great to drive with the top down. But don't forget the sun screen!

BTW you're vacation sounds terrific!
Jun 26th, 2003, 10:09 AM

I agree with Suzie....convertibles all around.

4x4 not really necessary on Maui or Kauai.....having one might have made things a little easier once or twice, but never once did we really wish we had one.

The luxury of the convertible more than made up for it.
Jun 26th, 2003, 05:16 PM

JohnD - yes Nancy03 and FloridaGal are one and the same, just depends on which computer I am using at the time.

John- On Kaua'i we are staying at Secret Beach Hideaway Resorts which is not part of Orbitz etc. So how would you recommend I do

Kaua'i - Fly/Drive

BI:
Kona Village - 2 nights
Near the volcano - 1 night

But in Mauai:
4 Seasons for 4 nights
Hana Maui for 1 or 2 nights
Ritz for 1 night

With switching hotels on the island can I still do the Fly/Drive/hotel thing? Or should I just rent a car for 20 days that allows me to switch from Island to Island. And can I do that online or do I need a travel agent?

Jun 26th, 2003, 05:19 PM

We always used Roberts Hawaii for our out-island trips. They had great car rental prices. I can also recommend Tropical Rent a Car for very good rates.
Jun 26th, 2003, 06:32 PM

Hey Nancy/FG, my wife and I have done a trip similar to what you are doing, and you have to check around to see where the best deals are and pick and choose accordingly.
Perhaps a good place for you to start is by calling a Hawaiian travel agency and tell them what you would like to do (all three islands/cars/flights), and then you can compare their rates versus what you find on the internet, and feel free to swap out the lower rates from what you find versus what they can give you.
For us the largest expense is the airfare, we usually redeem frequent flyer miles for a free trip. In your case, you might find you get a better deal by checking online with the airline website you are flying with roundtrip from mainland to Hawaii. In our experience we find that Alamo usually has a discount code (try 6T) for Hawaii travel that significantly lowers the cost of an SUV or convertible, you can reserve the low rate now (at no charge)on-line for the period of time you are spending on each island and cancel it later if you find a better rate somewhere else. Book the cars on-line consistent with your interisland flight times and airports.

For hotels search the ones you are interested in on-line on expedia, orbitz, hotelonsale, etc, enter your arrival & departure dates and check the option for car to see if you get a better rate or not, but do not book it until you have everything worked out-some allow you to reserve before purchasing (expedia).

You are going to need to do interisland flights, and if you happen to be booking your "Secret Beach" through a travel agency they probably can get the interisland flights for less than you can online, check with travel agencies in Hawaii(you can find online by searching) or call Secret Beach resort and ask them to recommend one to you. Also if you have triple AAA, some Hawaiian airlines (Aloha or Hawaiian Air) may give a discount. The type of trip you are planning is involved and challenging but we find it rewarding. Aloha.

Search this Thread