Car rental - San Francisco to Portland

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 10:51 AM
MD4
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car rental - San Francisco to Portland

Planning to rent a car and drive for two days from San Francisco to Portland, but the rates we're finding online are outrageous, mostly due to a $150-$180 drop off fee. If this is standard in the industry, I wasn't aware- we've picked up and dropped off at different locations before and not had this occur.
Are there any rental companies that might not charge this fee? Any help/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 11:29 AM

This is truly difficult to say, MD4.

Every car rental agency goes through cycles of "good deals". Avis used to have a $15 drop off fee. But they have gone off that particular promotion.

I would strongly suggest that you shop around, go to all the different car rental sites, the individual sites.

Another way is to call a local agency and ask if they would outright give you a better deal. Competition is pretty much out there, in this economy. You might just luck out that a human person will want the business and give you a good deal.

Good luck!
Jason
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 01:22 PM

I suspect this time of year the rental companies would rather have cars moving north to south. There is definitely seasonality and location sensitivity with one-way rentals. If it was spring, it probably wouldn't be so bad. It does pay to shop around, though.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 01:53 PM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
Usually National doesn't have a drop fee. I just checked for late October (you don't say when you're traveling) and their quote was $170 one way (no drop) SFO-PDX. For a lark, I tried the same days in the other direction...$95. Curmudgeon is probably right - they'd rather have cars in SFO than Oregon. One way around it, we've found, is to book a reservation, then when you're in SF (in your case) call the local stations directly and ask them if they have any Portland (or Seattle) cars that need returning. If they do they'll usually cut you a good deal. The on-line booking sites won't do this.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 02:41 PM

Try both airport and downtown Car Rental lots, as Hertz, Avis & National often have different rates depending on where you pick up the car.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 07:29 AM
MD4
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions! We will be picking it up in SF either Sat, Nov 22 (at the airport) or Mon, Nov 24 (downtown, if we take the BART in and can find a rental location downtown) and returning it Wed, Nov 26 in Portland. So far, National looks like the best way to go- thanks for the tip about no drop off fee, Gardyloo. It will make a huge difference in cost.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 11:36 AM

Don't rent from the airport 2 days prior...you'll pay a bundle to park in the city for two nights.

Avis has good rates and unlimited mileage for picking up at Fisherman's Wharf and returning to Portland. No drop charge - and discounts for AAA, Costco, Frequent Flier etc.