Car rental in San Diego

Search

Car rental in San Diego

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car rental in San Diego

We've made a 10 day trip to visit San Diego in mid August. We'll be staying in La Costa Resort in Carlsbad for 5 days and then in Estancia La Jolla for the next 5 days. We'll be spending most of the time in La Costa resort so my son can play in the pool and etc. And then when we're in La Jolla we will be visiting beaches, San Diego Zoo and etc. My question is whether we should rent a car for 10 days straight (since first 5 days will be in resort). Should we just rent the car in La Jolla? If so then we'll have to figure out how to get to Carlsbad from the airport.

Thanks in advance for your advise. Thanks.
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 05:36 PM

if it was me i would rent the car for the whole 10 days. the chances are good that you may want to go some where while in Carlsbad during those 5 days, maybe legoland for your son? Carlsbad is a ways from the airport and the transportation cost for your family to get there and then back to a rental car company may not be much less than just renting a car for the whole 10 days.
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 09:51 PM

Depends on what the cost of the car rental for those 5 days is, the cost of parking the car at the hotel, the cost of a taxi or limo instead if you don't get one (you can figure out all this math).....and then the intangible of whether you'd really be fine at the hotel for 5 days without venturing out. There is nothing nearby; it's in a residential neighborhood. I personally would shop hard for a good rate and get the car; perhaps park it in the residential neighborhood if hotel parking is too much and have the ability to go where I want whenever. Legoland is nearby and good for up to age 10. Carlsbad is nice to explore, as is Encinitas.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 10:03 PM

I grew up in San Diego and believe me you are going to want a car all ten days. There is no way that a resort is going to provide everything you need for the first five days, there is so much to see, and in Carlsbad you will be near legoland.

ehrin
www.edufire.com
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 11:01 PM

You'd be surprised what La Cost does to offer an all Inclusive report..they have a very full activites list..even bus to beach.
I'd call teh Concierge ..they can help you figure it all out. You could ask about transport from airport and they could even arange Enterprise for a day if needed.
Lego land, Seaworld arrange for Hotel p/u s...