car rental in Maui, Kauai, Oahu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 1999, 11:08 AM
mph

Hello:

I am spending 2 weeks in Hawaii for my upcoming honeymoon, mostly in Maui (Wailea) and Kauai (south shore). I was wondering how worthwhile it is to rent a car there, and if so, whether it is worth renting a nice car like a convertible, or just getting the regular midsized. Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Old Jul 22nd, 1999, 12:55 PM
Ruth

Hi MPH,

You definitely want to rent a car on Maui and Kauai as there is no public transportation except for the hotel or resort shuttles on each island. Many people rent convertibles there - if you enjoy driving one at home, you should REALLY enjoy driving one there, with the beautiful weather. Now on Oahu, if you're only going to be in Waikiki for a couple of days, you could get by without one - just ride "The Bus" which goes everywhere and is a great bargain. But it will take you at least twice as long to go anywhere compared to having a car. But you have so much within walking distance in Waikiki, some people never miss a car there - just depends on what you're interested in doing. E-mail me if I can be of more help. Have a wonderful time!

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 10:17 AM
Vic

Ruth has got it right. There is no way you can get around without a car. The convertible is a great idea, especially since there are only two of you. We usually rent one when we go, but my wife, daughter and I all fight for the front seats, and I always lose. At least in my experience, convertibles don't cost much more than sedans, perhaps a couple of bucks a day. It's well worth it.
However, you should shop carefully, we are going to Kauai in late August and Hertz was considerably more expensive than Avis. Don't take that as any guide however, my experience has been that the majors go all over the lot. There is no way to predict who is cheapest. Just call around.
I don't know how particular you are but not all convertibles are created equal. Hertz rents only Mustangs in Hawaii as far as I can tell. The fleet of the others, National and Avis, seem to go all over the lot. Some are pretty crummy looking things. So try to make sure what you're getting. Cameros and Mustangs are about as good as they get.
One last thing, stay away from the smaller car rental agencies. I have never used one, but I have heard many horror stories; "Well the car that we had reserved for you is still out on rental" etc.

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 10:33 AM
Vic

I also agree with Ruth about Oahu, its kind of like renting a car in NYC. The hotel will charge a significant amount to park your car overnight. Parking in Waikiki is a mess. It is nice to take a car around the island through Punch Bowl, visit the beaches on the north side -- that's where all the big league surfing goes on. The car renters have booths in the hotels and on the street. You can rent them by the day. You should plan the days you want the car and reserve in advance on the mainland.
Having said all that, the cost of car may not be that much when you substract the amount you will pay to and from the airport. The cost of a cab from the airport to Waikiki is over $30, so if you are not staying more than a few days the net cost might not be that much.

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 10:50 AM
Dick

ABsolutely rent a convertible!!!

With the top down..you really get a much more tropical feeling and can appreciate the view so much better.

I would also add...don't lock your convertible..especially at beaches or trail heads. They frequently get slashed. We left the car unlocked and the windows down...just like the locals..to demonstrate that there was nothing of value in the car.

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 11:45 AM
Ruth

MPH,

Me again! As Vic mentioned below, the taxi from airport to hotel is very expensive but my husband and I discovered (from a Frommers guide)another way that was great. There is an airport shuttle that you can arrange for ahead of time. It will pick you up at the airport for $8.00 per person one way, or $13.00 per person round trip if you want them to deliver you back to the airport from your hotel the day that you leave Oahu. The driver who picked us up at our hotel was one of the most charming and colorful people we've met in Hawaii. There's plenty of luggage space (if you get outrageous, they just charge a little more!) We think it's the way to go if you don't want to rent a car at the airport.

E-mail me if I can help you further. Have a great time.

Aloha, Ruth

Old Jul 24th, 1999, 12:34 AM
Vic

Hey, you're on your honeymoon, at a minimum use a cab, better yet, book a limo from the States.

Old Jul 24th, 1999, 09:31 AM
Sandi

Aloha!

Congratulations on your upcoming honeymoon. You have picked a wonderful destination.

I returned 10 days ago from my first trip to Maui/Oahu. Had the time of my life. Stayed at the Outrigger Wailea Resort and Waikiki Parkside Hotel. made lots of plans months in advance, including a car rental from Dollar Rent-a-Car on Maui. While in Oahu, got a package deal from a travel agency in Kahului of airfare, hotel and car rental for one day.

Anyway, about three weeks before my departure I ran across a recommendation for Adventures Rent-A-Jeep on Maui. It was listed on either Frommers or Fodors. I can't say with certainty which one, but it was one of them. The price was very comparable and reasonable to the economy car rental I had already arranged for through Dollar Rentals, so I called the jeep place. I asked how old their jeeps were, if they had any automatics and so forth. I was assured that I would receive the newest model they had, a '94, and an automatic. I said okay, and cancelled my reservation with Dollar rentals. Upon my arrival to the airport, the jeep I found waiting for me was a bucket of bolts, probably an '84 model instead of '94, and definitely not an automatic. Luckily, one of my traveling companions said she had driven a standard before and thought she could master this beast. Also, there was only a quarter tank of gas in the thing, but we couldn't even be sure of that because the gas gauge needle was jumping back and forth.

Anyway, the next day (it was late at night when we arrived, or it would have been that same day), we took the jeep back and demanded our money back. Adventures Rent-a-Jeep didn't seem to see the problem, since my friend was able to drive the standard. I told them that I made the reservation and I specifically asked for an automatic. They tried to show us some other jeeps on the lot, but they didn't have much going for them either. We finally got our money back and went back to Dollar. We got a very nice, '98 Dodge Neon there for $25 a day. It was a great car, very comfortable and roomy, even though it is considered an economy model. The gas mileage was very good. So the point of this story is that Dollar-Rent-a-Car is the way to go. Actually, this rate was a special offer through the Convention and Visitor's Bureau, which I wrote to months prior. They sent me lots of information along with a special coupon for Dollar.

Sorry to have rambled on, I should have just said to check into Dollar Rent-a-Car. You will definitely want some kind of car. Wailea is pretty out of the way from a lot of the activities on Maui. The roads are excellent, except for the Hana road past Hana. We did take the road the entire way around, and the scenery was vast and varied, but it was very rough and very, very narrow at times. Actually, it seemed narrowest and scariest between Hana and the O'heo Gulch.
As far as hotel parking in Waikiki, the Waikiki Parkside Hotel had a free parking garage for guests.

Good luck, and have a wonderful time. I sure did. You can believe I will be going back to Maui someday soon.

Old Jul 24th, 1999, 01:01 PM
Vic

Regardless of how much research Sandi did, she made some serious mistakes. Arguing with a clerk about a piece of junk is no way to start a vacation. Even thinking about a Jeep is nutty. Intermittent rain is common on the Islands. If you have a conventional convertible, you stop and push a button. With a Jeep you get out roll back the canvas top etc. After a few of these routines, you decide to either leave it up or down. And I didn't even mention the side curtains. Also, these cheap Jeeps don't have air conditioning.
The other serious error is going aroung Maui. The road past the Seven Pools is a prohibited area. Rental car companies get very upset when you tell them that the car was damaged as a result of going through an area only fit for a Land Rover.

Old Jul 24th, 1999, 03:32 PM
Lori

Having been to Maui many time I can only say "rent a car". You will really need one, Wailea is not close to anything (Lahaina, Hana, Haleakala, etc.) and you will have the flexibility of going when you want to go and stopping where you want as well. We've always rented a car - I cannot even imagine doing the islands without one. We have used Budget in the past and had no problems -- always a brand new car with low mileage (maybe we were lucky that way). As the last poster said, do not drive the car where it is prohibited. It voids your rental agreement and if something were to happen to the car you are liable. It's not worth it, no matter how tempting it is to "drive around the island" past Hana. We've been tempted too, but we have turned around and gone back the long way just the same. Enjoy the trip.

Old Jul 25th, 1999, 05:12 AM
Jon

There is tons of beautiful stuff to see on Maui and Kauai, and you MUST have a car to get to it (or else be stuck in some bus or minivan on tours all day). My wife didn't like the convertible because dust blew under her contact lenses, so we just use a full-size car.

LOTS more info about Maui restaurants, hotels, activities, sights, etc, at this web site:
http://www.mauihawaii.org
(note it ends in org, not com)
Jon

Old Jul 25th, 1999, 08:08 AM
Jen

You must have a car on Maui. Everything is so spread out...without a car you wouldn't have the opportunity to explore and see all the beauty that Maui has to offer.

My husband and I just returned Maui. We rented an Isuzu Amigo. It was good because it was partially convertible. When driving past the sugar cane fields it was helpful to be protected from all of the smoke and dust. It was also helpful because that midday sun gets very hot. It was also helpful when driving to Hana...frequent light rain showers.

In regard to driving around the entire island past Hana, the road wasn't too bad. If you take your time and drive with care, you should be fine. We saw plenty of people driving it in Cavaliers and Neons. They make it sound worse than what it is.

Enjoy!

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 09:11 AM
Sandi

About the Road to Hana, and it not being suitable for all cars. The ranger station at the O'heo Gulch posts up-to-date road conditions and tells you whether or not a 4-wheel drive car is needed or not. On my trip, the road was judged to be open to ALL types of cars. If you check at the ranger station for road reports, don't drive like a maniac and take it very slow, there is no reason to miss driving the complete road. The scenery is quite different, and I thought it was just as fascinating.