Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Car rental coupon numbers. Do you actual need to bring a coupon??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on Costco travel and they have coupon numbers you enter on-line to get discounts on car rentals. But when you go through the process, at one step, in nice RED letters, it says you may have to present an actual coupon when picking up the car. Of course, since I'm doing this on line, there is no coupon, just the number that's to be entered when booking the car.

Would the rental car company really ask you for a coupon when you go and pick up the car?
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 06:09 PM

I suppose they can. After all they are the ones who get to set the rules -- not you.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 03:00 AM

I've never had a rental agent ask to see the coupon, but Murphy's Law says it would happen to you if you choose not to take one along with you. *smile*

In your OP you state the terms and conditions use the word "may" - it might be worth a call to the rental company and see if it's required and save yourself frustration later.

Good luck.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 06:29 AM

I've used a wide variety of coupon codes and never been asked to provide the code or any proof of affiliation related to the codes (for example, I used and AARP code when I'm around 40).
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 07:04 AM

I agree with ccolor, call the car rental company. It hasn't happened often and not at all in recent years, but I have been asked a couple of times in the past.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 07:58 AM

We weren't asked for either a coupon or a Costco card but if you print out your rental confirmation, I believe that shows a coupon was used, in case you are asked. However, all that info should be in the rental co's computer too.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I do wonder though, since this is through Costco Travel, why they didn't do the leg work for the consumer and checked with the rental car companies and included only those that would not require an actual coupon.

When you think about it, it doesn't make sense. Offer an on-line deal that automatically enters in a coupon number for you, but there is no coupon for you to printout if you did have to validate at the car rental agency.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 01:04 PM

Back in October, I made a reservation through for a car at SFO, at a time when it was quite hard to get a deal. It was with Hertz. There were several paper coupons floating around, and I took them along as well. As it was, the counter guy at SFO was quite impressed with my rate, and also accepted one of the coupons, which was for a one-class upgrade.

My main lesson from this was to check with your local AAA office if prices seem high. And, of course, take along any printed upgrade stuff.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 06:10 PM

That should read, Back in October, I made a reservation through MY Local AAA office....