Search

Car Rental Agencies

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 07:55 AM
don

Car Rental Agencies

I will be renting a car at the airport in Phoenix in April. I was wondering if people find much difference between the major car rental agencies like Hertz, Dollar, Avis Budget,or Alamo? Do you usually use the same one or do you usually go with the one that gives you the best price?

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 08:43 AM
Mark

The only real differences are in service and to some extent car wear/cleanliness.
If your rental goes smoothly (agency is not overwhelmed or overbooked) there's really not much difference in service. If something goes wrong, the lesser agencies often have more difficulty resolving problems I've found.
The big four (A, H, N, Budget) are a little better overall for service.
I've found that on average Hertz's cars are cleaner and have fewer miles.
But one huge advantage with National is that you can select your car from (usually) dozens available.

These are general impressions. I've had a couple very dirty cars at Hertz, occasionally been stuck with a vehicle with over 35K miles, etc.

But over many, many rentals these are the impressions I've developed.

As for cost, that varies tremendously and changes with time interval also.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 09:04 AM
Don

I don't know offhand which agencies do this and which agencies don't, but I'm pretty sure some agencies charge extra for a second driver. This may or may not be true depending on whether the second driver is your spouse. Anyway, that might be one thing to check into.

Otherwise, I've had pretty similar experiences with the major agencies--Hertz, Avis, Budget, National, Alamo, Thrifty, and Enterprise. I usually go with the best price.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 09:11 AM
karen

Don: We go out to PHX every March or April and rent a car. I have no loyalty and rent from whomever provides the best rate. Last year we used Alamo (who ended up upgrading us to a small SUV when our mid-size wasn't available) but this year I've booked with Avis who offered by far the best rate (via internet). Definitely try each agency on-line if possible and I've also found that Costco and BJ's provide the best discounts!

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 03:25 PM
mjh

My sister always goes with National. She's always had good experience with them. When we had a problem with a suspicious noise they came to a motel at night in an isolated area of Arizona, hours away from their nearest office, with another car for us. I call that service!!!

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 03:28 PM
jim

I have found that without exception, National offers substantially better prices when the drop off location differs from the pickup location.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 04:18 PM
don

After trying Travelocity, Expedia and the websites of the major rental agencies, I have a price from Alamo that is at least $130 cheaper than the others for a simular car (8 days, picking up in Phoenix and dropping off in Las Vegas). Is it common to find that big of a difference between the major agencies?

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 04:48 PM
pat

Have people had positive experiences with Fox Rent a Car? I'm from the east coast so i've never heard of this company, but it has, by far, the cheapest rates for phoenix.
thanks

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Jen

Overall, I have had great experiences with Enterprise. Their service is good, their cars are clean and reliable and their prices are the best. I currently have a res. with them for seven days in LA for a full size car for 189.00 for the week. Compared to the other "name-brand" rental agencies, you can't beat that price.
Hertz and especially Avis are outrageous with their rates.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Cowpoke

Wait until you see how they sandbag you with extra charges and taxes when you rent a car in Phoenix in order to help pay for sports facilities, etc. Practically criminal.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Emily

I have only gone with 2 companies - Enterprise and Alamo. I had great expeiences both times. The fact that I'm under 25 yrs. old means more $$ per day. Fees like this and others, like different drop-off location fees, are what to really look out for. The last time I rented (with Alamo) in California (San Diego to Sacramento) was rather expensive, but my choices were limited. Alamo was the ONLY company that allowed the combination of having a different drop-off location and being a driver under 25. It cost $150 just to drop off at a different location, plus $25/day (under 25 fee) all on top of the weekly rate. But Alamo was nice enough to upgrade for free from mid-size to a Blazer. My experience with Enterprise was satisfactory - only they tend to have the smallest vehicle inventory of the major companies. I am going to LA/Orange County in May and will only have to pay $10/day extra with Enterprise for being under 25 . Hope this helps.