Car in Key West?

Feb 26th, 2000, 04:23 PM
Lisa

Car in Key West?

Staying in Key West for three nights, do we need a car to get around? or are we better off not renting one? Any suggestions on nice accomodations for my husband and I that is near some things to do?
thanx in advance.

Feb 26th, 2000, 04:30 PM
Patrick

Personally, I say forget the car. A nice resort in the heart of the action is the Pier House, but a neater place to stay is the Marquessa, a sort of enlarged traditional Key West guest house. These are both pretty pricey, but worth it, depending upon what you are looking for -- Pier House being busy and the Marquessa being quiet and refined. At either of these places you can walk to nearly everything -- and by all means take the conch train tour of the old town, you'll learn a little and probably laugh a lot. You're not near the beach, but who in their right mind would go to Key West for the beach?? See the Hemmingway House and Truman's Little White House, maybe the Audobon House, walk to the lighthouse and the southermost point of the USA. There are also some fun boat and/or sailing trips.

Feb 26th, 2000, 04:50 PM
Debra

We drove to Key West and once there did not get in our car once until it was time to leave. We stayed downtown which I believe is Duval Street at the La Concha Inn. It's an old restored hotel right in the middle of everything you would ever want to do in Key West. I agree, you definitely don't want to go to the beach. We went sight seeing, took a boat out snorkeling, shopped, went to malary's pier (not sure of spelling) which has lots of things going on at night. The La Concha Inn has an open bar on top so you can have a drink and watch the beautiful sunsets. We had a great time. Have fun!

Feb 26th, 2000, 06:29 PM
susan

I agree with the previous posts. For a long weekend you definitely don't need a car, especially if you find accommodations in Old Town. The Pier House is one of several resort/hotels on the Gulf, the others being the Ocean Key House, the Hyatt, the Hilton and the Galleon. All have views of the Gulf (if you request them) and all are near Mallory Square, where the sunset activities take place. There are lots of great B&Bs in Key West in all price ranges, so if you don't immediately find what you're looking for, keep looking!

Feb 26th, 2000, 07:48 PM
JoAnn

Lisa, the biggest problem with a car in Key West is the parking--there isn't much. You are better off walking, renting a moped Go to www.keywest.com and check out all the beautiful B & B's and Inn's in Key West.

Search this Thread