Please help me decide between Palm Springs & Rancho Mirage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi- We will be staying in Palm Springs for 3 days during our Oct. CA trip. My husband, myself & 7 yr. old daughter. I booked the Rancho Las Palmas Resort in Rancho Mirage which is about 20 min. from Downtown Palm Springs. But in looking up things to do, places to go, etc it seems that Palm Springs has more going on and is more of a fun, retro town and not as new and "cookie cutter" as Rancho. I am now looking at the Hyatt in PS. I know the Rancho Las Palmas has a really cool pool area for kids and is more of a resort but we are from FL so that is nice but not necessary. I can't decide what to do but like that face that in PS we can walk everywhere! Please help me make a decision!! Thanks!
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 12:44 PM

I have never been to Rancho Mirage, but here is my trip report of Palm Springs. Perhaps you may find it useful.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...rip-report.cfm
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 01:01 PM

Unless something's changed, the only thing going for the Hyatt is its location - not a nice hotel at all. It is true that you can walk to restaurants in downtown Palm Sprins, but other than that, it's just shops - not much retro about it. Also, it will still be hot in October, so you'll want the pool even if you are from Florida.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 12:09 PM

We always stay in Palm Desert or Rancho Mirage. We like the El Paseo area for restaurants and shopping. The Living Desert and the tram would be good for a 7 year old.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 12:54 PM

Check out the water slide/park - and also - the nice walk/hike at the end of Indian Canyon in Palm Springs, and of course - the tram - for a couple of things to do there - and also the Living Desert in/closer to Rancho Mirage.

Really - you are only talking about a 10-20 minute drive difference for most things.

And while I haven't been inside the Hyatt rooms in some time - I like the interior design, as far as the dining areas, etc, and you can walk down the cute Palm Springs sidewalks.

Rancho Mirage - except for El Paseo - is more spread out, and El Paseo isn't that interesting for a young one. There is a newer shopping area - "The River" that might offer you more choices. see: http://www.theriveratranchomirage.com/
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice!! I think we will stick with our plan and stay at the Rancho Las Palmas in Rancho Mirage. We will definitely do the Tram and the Living Desert! Any Advice on good, unique restaurants in the area (the 7 yr. old is used to dining everywhere) Thanks!!
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 01:41 PM

In addition to the River shopping center (across the street from RLP), there is El Paseo and the Gardens center in Palm Desert. Hard to say which stores and restaurants will be open in October, there are always a few casualties over the summer. My favorites from when I owned a condo in PD are all gone!;(
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 05:12 PM

If you narrow it down in terms of likes/dislikes, fine dining vs. casual, I'd be happy to provide some suggestions.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! We are definitely staying at Rancho Las Palmas but will be going into Palm Springs for dining since it appears there are a lot of chain restuarants in Rancho Mirage area. If you have dining suggestions we love upscale casual and casual fun places (no national chains) Unique, locals favorites, etc. we love all kinds of food. Leaving in 3 weeks- thanks for the advice!!
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 06:16 AM

Palm Desert (PD): Go to the Flea Market either Sat or Sun (7am - 2pm) at College of the Desert on Monterey. Really, something for everyone. Palm Springs has a street fair on Thursday evenings; even if you don't go...keep in mind traffic that night.
Restaurants: breakfast-Randy's Cafe on Hwy 111 (PD); great food cooked to order and Randy is alot of fun. Keedy's Fountain Grill-very casual for either breakfast or lunch; also PD. Your daughter would probably enjoy the atmosphere of Tommy Bahama's rooftop - but the food is marginal and very expensive. We like Cafe Beaux Arts (French bistro) on El Paseo for lunch. Pacifica seafood on El Paseo. Daily Grill. Ruth Chris steak sandwich ($18) in the bar area (kids are allowed). It's worth a stroll down El Paseo Drive because it's just darn pretty.
The Marriott Desert Springs is a wonderful property to visit. Free grass putt putt golf - kinda fun. you can take a boat ride to the restaurants, although again, the food is average.
You could drive out to Indio for a date shake. The Palm Springs tram is fun; keep in mind it's about 30 degrees cooler at the top.
If I think of anything else, I will write again.
Have fun.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks JBass1! I looked up a bunch of the places you suggested and added them to my list - definitely going to Keedy's - sounds fun and different! Are there any old ghost town type places nearby (within an hour)- my daughter would love that!
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 01:41 PM

Hello,

Added dining suggestions:

Elmer's Pancake House in RM (breakfast)
Camelot Cafe in Palm Springs (lunch)
Tyler's (burgers) in Palm Springs
El Mirasol in Palm Springs (Mexican)
El Gallito in Cathedral City (Mexican-funky place)
Shame on the Moon in Rancho Mirage (fine dining)
The Nest in Indian Wells (really fun spot for crowd watching, good food)
Armando's in Palm Desert
Cork Tree in Palm Desert
3rd Corner in Palm Desert (wine store & restaurant)

I think I may well have found one of the best margaritas in the desert at The Soul of Mexico in Indio (Jefferson and Fred Waring Drive) Make sure you ask for the fresh-squeezed lime juice. 100% blue agave tequila, $8.50. Try the stuffed peppers too--

Activities:

Living Desert, Palm Desert

The PS Aerial Tramway

Cabot's Pueblo Museum in DHS

San Andreas Fault jeep tour

Not really a ghost town, but Pioneertown can be fun and is within an hour, try Pappy & Harriett's http://www.pappyandharriets.com/

Farther than an hour: Calico Ghost Town http://cms.sbcounty.gov/parks/Parks/...GhostTown.aspx

2hr, 15 min
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 08:20 AM
lvk

Thanks for all of the great restaurant recommendations. Bookmarking for this weekend. If DH had his way, we would eat at Johannes every night.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 07:26 AM

lvk...I am another Johannes fan...for a long time.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 09:49 PM

I am book marking this for my trip next month. Things change so fast in that area that it's good to update. Thanks
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you So much PSLocal - just what I needed! Looking up everything and making reservations!
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 11:51 AM

travelingirl: NP and I hope your trip is everything you're expecting and more.

Rancho Las Palmas has the Splashtopia water element, which you probably already know. Hugely popular with 'kids' of all ages and the resort is well-located across from The River commercial development with several good dining choices, shopping, and what could be the nicest movie theater in the Valley. Lots of other restaurants in the vicinity too at all price points. Johnny Rockets burger place just opened up across the street from the River where the Ruby's Diner used to be. Retro 50's style burger place.

Enjoy.