car ferry oahu to Maui

Search

car ferry oahu to Maui

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car ferry oahu to Maui

Is there a car ferry to Maui from Oahu ? If so, does anyone know costs, time taken to cross etc. Is it worth it if I can secure $39 airfares?
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 10:59 PM

Are you asking about sending your car on the ferry and fly to Maui?
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 11:38 PM

You probably mean the $39 boat rider fare: http://www.hawaiisuperferry.com/

It isn't likely worth it, because besides the passenger fare, there is something like $55 fare for vehicles, and worse of all soon they will impose brutal fuel surcharges on both of them of maybe one third. Takes 3 hours plus much time at either end, but the plus is during the winter they seem to take you around the northern side of Molokai (to avoid whales) which has outrageously scenic sea cliffs not seen by other means.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 05:01 AM

Unless there has been a change rental cars are not permitted to use the ferry.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 05:15 AM

hulajake, it was announced that sf and hertz teamed up to allow their rentals. sf currently working with other rental agencies but for now only hertz.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 10:06 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If we're talking rental cars, seems it would be lots easier to fly... turn in the 1st car at Honolulu and pick up a 2nd rental car at the Maui airport upon arrival there.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Actually the poster made no mention of putting a car aboard, and I was irrational to assume that. Clearly they must be considering a walk aboard situation, and if you can get in during the promotional fares and aren't dragging reams of luggage, it would be absurd to miss such a stimulating adventure compared to the banality of flight.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 01:01 PM
dmlove

Viking, in your "defense" they did actually ask about a car ferry. Why would they care bout a car ferry, if they don't have a car?

Old Dec 16th, 2007, 04:42 PM

Because there's only one type of ferry that goes between these two islands?
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 06:14 PM
dmlove

Well, since the poster's question was "is there a car ferry?", I think it can be presumed they have no idea there's only one kind of ferry between these islands, or any ferry at all for that matter.

Old Dec 17th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Original Poster

sorry guys my fault for being a vague ozzie. Over here you pretty much go on a car ferry with your car !! Which in our case would be a hire car which would probably raise other questions. As we are a family I thought it may work out cheaper to travel from Oahu with our car to Maui rather than pay for 4 airfares !! Hope this provides a bit more info. While I am at it where in Maui does this car ferry arrive/depart from?
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 06:37 AM

wallos, I'm no expert on this but the car ferry is a new thing. And most people fly when going between islands.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 09:46 AM

You will have to pay 4 fares plus the fare for the car.

So you won't be any better off financially by taking the ferry.

The ferry started up with no regard for the environment & many including myself will never take nor will we ever support the ferry.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 11:42 AM

You can check the ferry's website for exact pricing (posted in this thread), then figure out if it's worth it to you financially.

What may also make it appealing is that with a family of four, it may be easier to just pack up the car and drive on and off the ferry, rather than dealing with the hassles of an airport, baggage screening, security, etc.

It arrives and departs from Kahului Harbor on Maui.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 04:45 PM

Unless you really want to experience going inter-island on the water, I would buy a plane flight and get some rentals on each island. With all the controversy lately and the legal hold ups, you may get stuck on an island if it gets shut down again. I wouldn't use it until it's fully functioning with the EIS having gone through. You can keep track of the news and EIS progress at this site.

http://hawaiiinterislandsuperferry.com
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 07:02 PM

sf already cancelled yesterday and today due to rough seas.
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 07:23 AM

...and cancelled again today.

Call it karma or bachi or whatever...things seem to be taking care of themselves nicely with regard that danged stuperferry.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 01:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. We have now booked a flight for the family to maui. The rough seas was the final decision maker for me !!
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 03:43 AM
kealalani

There was a pretty good article in New York Times Travel Section this past sunday regarding super ferry which included discussion of Kaui and Molokai oppositions.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/12/30...l/30heads.html

Old Apr 1st, 2010, 04:28 AM

Does anyone have any advise on getting from Oahu to Maui? I looked into the Super Ferry, but it appears to be discontinued? Two of us going do not enjoy flying, especially on small planes. But I am thinking that is the only way to get to Oahu to Maui? If we must fly, which airline would be the best? We are staying near Kapalua, but understand Kahului serves larger planes? Would appreciate any advice. Thank you so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -