Search

Capitol Hill

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2016, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capitol Hill

Starting a different topic this time. For our stay in Seattle, we reserved a room at the Shafer Baillie Maison for 3 nights (thanks to suze suggesting it for someone else). We don't normally stay in B&Bs, but I thought it might be helpful to have a local point of view since we are investigating relocation.

Can anyone recommend restaurants and things to do in that area and close by? Last year when we were in Seattle, we stayed downtown and went to the Chihuly Garden and didn't do much else that day as we couldn't tear ourselves away from this amazing place. This trip, we want to focus more on the different neighborhoods, although just having 3 days, this may be a daunting task.

Thanks for any help.
Old Sep 16th, 2016, 11:45 AM

Capitol Hill is absolutely filled with restaurants. Just wander down a street and try one. One of my favorites is Poppy. Meals are served as a thali - an Indian meal concept that includes a number of small tastes of things. The tiny dishes are often the most stunning. In the Capitol Hill area, there is the Seattle Asian Art Museum in Volunteer Park - go there for the view even if you aren't interested in the art. The Volunteer Park Conservatory is one of my favorite ways to get a short tropical break in Seattle's rainy weather.

I'd chose maybe one or two other neighborhoods to explore - if you try to fit in too many you will lose the sense of the neighborhood.
Old Sep 16th, 2016, 12:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Agreeing with the post above & we're talking about my neighborhood(!) I have lived on Capitol Hill for two decades.

For your trip, don't miss Volunteer Park, it's right by your B&B and absolutely lovely.

Right on 15th Avenue East is a line up of restaurants, all decent... Liberty, Hopvine, Jamjuree thai, Olympia Pizza/Harrys Bar, El Faro mexican, Coastal Kitchen, Rione XIII, Remedy Tea, Nuflour bakery (gluten free), Victrola and Café Ladro coffee shops... just to get you started within just a few blocks of where you are staying.

If I were to move any where else in Seattle, it would be north to the Roosevelt/Ravenna/Maple Leaf areas. Or possibly down to the lake (Lake Washington), say Madison Park.

Will you have a car? (as far as visiting other neighborhoods)
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we will have a car, but from your list, I may have to spend all my time just eating!

What do you like about the neighborhoods you listed?
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 07:39 PM

You mentioned that you're thinking of relocating to the Seattle area. Where do you live now, and what do you like about it? What kind of a neighborhood would you like? Maybe we can point you in the direction of a Seattle neighborhood that's similar to what you're looking for.
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

We live in Austin, Texas and are mainly thinking about leaving due to the weather and political climate in the state.

We live in a neighborhood that is seeing a huge change. It used to be a really close knit neighborhood that was full of musicians. I used to work in my yard every Sunday and listen to a band in the house across the street playing the most incredible fusion jazz. As I walked the neighborhood, I heard music spilling out of many of the houses.

Now, the neighborhood has become extremely popular leading to most of the smaller houses being torn down the day they sell to make room for huge, multimillion dollar houses that are really too large for the lot. The musicians have left, the old hippies are leaving due to the increase in property taxes. I understand this is progress, but I miss the closeness of the neighborhood. It's still there, but is changing fast! Of course, with the changes there have been good things. I can walk to restaurants, bars and coffee houses. I like that.

We just want our lives to be more simple and to find a community we can relate to. We would like a good mix of people, old and young and a community that says hello if they pass you during a walk. Having amenities within walking distance is a plus and being located next to transportation would be nice. That is almost unheard of in Texas.

Not sure this is helpful, but maybe you understand.
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 05:12 PM

Definitely. I'd recommend checking out Greenlake, Wallingford, and Fremont based on those descriptions - all are friendly and lean a little toward the hippie side, although I'm sure most parts of Seattle will have more hippies than Texas! Others can probably speak to our bus system better than I can, but light rail goes as far north as the University of Washington now, so you'd be nearest to it in Wallingford, although it still wouldn't be walking distance.
Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 09:00 AM

<good mix of people, old and young and a community that says hello if they pass you during a walk. Having amenities within walking distance is a plus and being located next to transportation>

That describes Capitol Hill perfectly.

Seattle is not inexpensive, and the traffic is horrible would be the drawbacks.

Besides Capitol Hill many other neighborhoods fit your request as well... Columbia City, Ballard, West Seattle, Ravenna/Roosevelt, Fremont/Wallingford, Madison Park...
Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 10:16 AM

As I remember you asked earlier about being close to the water. We have lots of water here, and you might look at neighborhoods close to the sound like West Seattle, Queen Anne, Ballard and Magnolia. For areas close to Lake Washington, there is Madison Park, Laurelhurst, etc For areas close to Lake Union, consider Eastlake and Queen Anne. Also, there is Greenlake - both the lake and the neighborhood.
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Wow, so much to see. Wish we were spending a couple of weeks! Thanks for all the information. Will be there in 13 days!
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 09:38 AM

Well the weather has just turned this week, since the official arrival of Fall yesterday, it's very FALL-like today... gray and rainy.