Search

Cape Cod Vacation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Cod Vacation

We will be going to Cape Cod for a July vacation of 7 days. We will be driving up and back home on a Monday. This will be our first time on the Cape. It's me, my husband and our 11 year old son. We'll be staying at a very casual bed and breakfast in Dennis Port, 1 block from the beach. We are looking for itinerary suggestions. What should we not miss? We definitaly want to visit several beaches, historical sites and areas with fantastic views. We also want to go to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. Are the islands easy to visti without a car? Should we reserve a tour for each island? Any suggestion would be very much appreciated.
Thank you! Looking forward to your input.
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 07:18 AM

Do go to the National Seashore, there are two visitor's centers that I know of, one right off rt. 6 in the Eastham area and one out in Provincelands. Both are worth a visit. A trip to Provincetown is fun as is a whale watch from there.

With just 7 days I would choose either Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket. You can use the bus on the Vineyard, I think a day pass is $7 and you can go all over the island on it. There are also tour bus trips there. I'm not sure about Nantucket but you could do it easily on a bike if that is fun for your family. There are also lots of bike trails in the Seashore area that off the roadways.
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 12:49 PM

We've been vacationing in Eastam the past several summers. IMHO, not-to-be missed:

Sunset at First Encounter Beach (Eastham), pick a night where sunset is around low tide. There will be beautiful views, many families (but not "crowded") and you can walk out/play in the tide pools quite a ways out. Try to arrive 1-2 hours before sunset--there's no parking charge after 5pm. Its magical.

The Nat'l seashore: check their on-line schedule before you go, they have great family-friendly offerings everyday (hikes, exploring, evening sing-a-longs on the beach), mostly free though some popular things fill up in advance (call to reserve). The canoe paddle is a very reasonable $10 or so for a couple hour trip in the marshlands--the guides stop to scoop critters up out of the water and your son would probably think its very cool.

Arnolds restaurant/Ice cream window/Miniture golf. A kids paradise (with some of the best lobster rolls anywhere), just north of the National Seashore entrance in Eastham. Conveniently where the bike trail crosses the main road. An added bonus: they have little historical markers mixed in with the mini-golf about other places that used to be nearby.
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 03:58 PM

I would definitely recommend a whale watch from Provincetown if you haven't done one before. Also, you can take the Freedom Ferry from Harwich (1 town east from Dennisport) to Nantucket for the day (free parking). Take a 1 hour bus/van tour from the dock area and then walk around, bike or whatever interests you. There is really only 1 town on Nantucket. Pick up sandwiches, chips, drink at the supermarket at the end of the wharf for a reasonable lunch price-wise. Agree with the other things mentioned above.To go to Martha's Vineyard you will need to go to Hyannis and take the Hy-Line ferry or to Wood's Hole for the Steamship Authority ferry (a good 1 hour plus drive in the summer depending on traffic). The Sagamore bridge is under repair and down to 1 lane in each direction through fall. Take the Bourne bridge and bring your patience with you. We are worth it.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 08:27 AM

If you get to the National Seashore in Eastham stop by Fort Hill Area for scenic views of Nauset Marsh and the Atlantic Ocean, historical tour of the Captain Edward Penniman House (check schedule first at www.nps.gov/caco), and gentle walks along a meadow, through a forest and into a board-walked Red Maple Swamp. The national park offers activities for children like shellfishing, Jr. Ranger, story-telling etc that might appeal to you.

Arnold's in Eastham is the quintessential "clam shack" with mini-golf and Ben and Jerry's ice cream is always popular. At the Eastham-Wellfleet line there is a movie theater and Drive-in...one of the last remaining outdoor theaters in the state. And of course the National Seashore beaches in Eastham are magnificent! Cape Cod Bay beaches are accessible to tourists for a daily parking fee.i
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 11:20 AM

I agree - do not miss the National Seashore. My personal favorite beach is Coast Guard Beach because it's not as rocky as some of the others.

I would recommend Martha's Vineyard over Nantucket. I just feel there's more to explore on Martha's Vineyard and it's a shorter ferry ride. I would rent bikes or mopeds over there to get the full effect of the island. Aquinnah (Gay Head) has beautiful cliffs and you can't miss the Flying Horses Carosel, one of the oldest working carosels in the country. Since the ferries for Martha's Vineyard go out of Falmouth, take a little time to check out Woods Hole and see the Aquarium that is operated by the Woods Hole Oceanagraphic Institue (WHOI).

The Welfleet Drive-In is always fun too and most nights they offer a double feature!

I also would recommend taking advantage of at least one of the many mini-golf courses on Cape Cod. Pirates Cove in South Yarmouth is one of the more popular ones but Skull Island is a good one too!

If you're up for a good day drive, you can go to Plymouth and visit Plimouth Plantation or the Mayflower II. Plimouth Plantation is a great day trip and really educational.

Living and working for a resort development company on Cape Cod has allowed me to really get a taste for activities for all so I hope you enjoy your stay!
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 07:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
From the Dennisport area, Martha's Vineyard is not closer than Nantucket. Driving to Falmouth to get the ferry is a long drive and you probably won't be able to park near the ferry so you might have to take a shuttle from a (possibly quite distant) parking lot. I would pick just one island in your week on the Cape, but if you really enjoy ferry rides and islands you can go to both of them.

The beach near you in Dennisport is on Nantucket Sound on the south side of the Cape. The water is fairly warm there, but for swimming I greatly prefer the beaches on the north side of Dennis. These are on Cape Cod Bay. The water is cooler but still very swimmable in July. There are dunes and the tide goes out pretty far, although not as far as in neighboring Brewster, where you can walk out for miles on the sand flats at low tide. The sand and the water are nicer for swimming in Dennis, but the tidal flats are more extensive in Brewster. In Dennis you can still swim at low tide, in Brewster low tide is for walking.

You might want to go to the Cape Cod Museum of Natural History in Brewster, which has interesting exhibits and nature trails out to the bay. Lots of programs and guided walks too. Check the website at http://www.ccmnh.org/.

There are seal cruises from Saquatucket Harbor in Harwichport, which is quite near Dennisport. You cruise around Monomoy Island, which is a wildlife refuge, and almost always can spot seals either in the water or out sunning themselves on the beach.
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 10:28 AM

A correction about the Sagamore Bridge. The bridge is down to one lane in each direction now but that will be done by Memorial Day. If more work is needed it will be completed in the fall after Labor Day.
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 06:35 PM

From Dennis, head to Hyannis to take a ferry to the island of your choice. Your son might enjoy the Whaling Museum on Nantucket. Downtown Nantucket is a nice walkable area.

No need to go any further than Dennis beaches on Cape Cod Bay to enjoy a sunset. Hit the Sesuit Harbor Cafe' for the best lobster rolls on the Cape. Byob and sit back and relax. It's not formal, but it sure is special.

In nearby Hyannis you can visit the ridiculous Cape Cod potato chip factory. Some people enjoy the tour, but I'm really not sure why. The Kennedy Museum is a great place to visit too.

Take a whale watch out of Provincetown. Keep your mind open and enjoy this gem of a town for dinner after your afternoon on the water. The National Seashore is especially impressive in Provincetown.

There's summer theatre all over the place and much of it is geared to families with kids. Check out Cape Week when you get there for listings of shows, galleries, art shows, craft fairs, etc.

From Dennis it's a short drive to Brewster (bay side), Chatham (mostly Nantucket Sound and Chatham Harbor). Both are lovely Cape towns. Stop in at the Coast Guard beach in Eastham and enjoy the glorious views there.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 05:56 AM

You should also rent bikies; there are many flat or slightly hilly bike trails. Definitely go to the National Seashore: some of my favorite beaches there are Head of the Meadow, Race Point & Herring Cove. We also enjoy Skaket Beach in Orleans - at low tide you can walk wait out & the water is calm and warm. We LOVE having lunch at the Bookstore Restaurant in Wellfleet.

I second the recommendation for Pirates Cove. My daughters loved it when they were younger; it's very popular.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 07:41 AM

All of the above are great ideas. We live in Boston and go to the Cape every year. I would add one caveat: stay away from Provincetown the July 4th weekend. That's when Summer Camp, a very big party in the gay circuit-party crowd, happens. Very crowded, lots of drugs and not especially family-friendly at that time. We are gay, and I stay away that weekend!
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 03:49 PM

Really, dontom?? I have Never noticed any of that in Provinctown on the 4th. Ever. But I basically bump around Commercial Street and Macmillian Wharf. Provincetown is loaded with families on the 4th.
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 05:04 PM
cw

dontom, I was in P-town on July 4th last year to watch the fireworks. The fireworks were great, and the town was packed with people--families, couples, and groups of friends.

I wouldn't avoid Provincetown on the 4th, but I would get there early if fireworks watching was going to be on the agenda. Parking can be challenging on that night. It is very crowded but it is still family-friendly.