Cape Cod in 1 day?

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Cod in 1 day?

I will be in Boston for 5 days later this week. We will not have a car. A friend of ours that is going with us would really like to see Cape Cod. From my research, this does not seem to be a day trip? Any comments? One of the things she wanted to see on the Cape was the houses. Any other areas closer to Boston Metro where there are the Cape Cod-style houses?
Thanks!
Jaime
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 12:18 PM

Half the houses in all of the Boston suburbs are Cape-Cod style. The steep-roofed second-floor style is just basic and practical for New England weather (cold and showy). There are housing developments full of them, I grew up in one. You're right, the Cape just isn't a day trip.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 12:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
You can take a boat trip to provincetown from Boston, It will be a three hour stopover, as I recall, before the boat heads back.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 01:10 PM

The cape is a big place to cover in one day. Are you thinking of renting a car? if so I would pick one town and focus on that. Such as Chatham or Falmouth. Another idea would be to fly to Nantucket for the day from Boston- you will see many lovely homes and shops though this option will be pricey. How about driving to Hingham for the day for lunch, touring and shopping. This is less than an hour from Boston (South Shore) and offers a view of some lovely cape and colonial style homes. Let me know if you need more suggestions.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, we will not have a car. We don't want to rent a car, everything I've read says not to drive in the Boston area! Do you know which ferry(ies) go to the Cape? Thanks!
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 04:59 PM

Marblehead, which is adjacent to Salem where you are planning to go, would solve your problem. A cab ride from Salem to Marblehead wouldn't cost that much. It's a most interesting and historic town.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 05:31 PM

Cigalechanta gave you the best advice, take the ferry from Boston to Provincetown. The houses at the West End of Commercial Street were built long ago on Long Point by fishermen and ferried across the harbor to their present location. They are identified by plaques on their front and are easily viewed as you stroll along.

Bay State Cruise Company is one ferry phone (617 748 1428) website (baystatecruisecompany.com)that has several boats including a fast ferry (90 mins.).