Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Cape Charles or other beach destination?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me what Cape Charles is like?

We are four couples in our 30's looking for a last minute destination for our annual reunion. We're not looking for too much activity - a relaxing area with a nice beach, maybe something easy-going like kayaking, a cute town to stroll, etc.

The only caveat is that we need a place within driving distance between the Baltimore area and Raleigh, NC (4-5 hrs max from either place). Is Cape Charles a good option? Any others? Thanks!
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 02:33 PM

It's been a few years since I've been, but as of 5 years ago Cape Charles had a very small town feel and defintitely felt past its prime. The town is quite small and still in the process of being rejuvenated. The beach is on the Chesapeake Bay - good for boaters, but not what I'd consider a nice beach. The kayaking was very good, especially the nearby town of Oyster.

I'm partial to Rehoboth and Lewes Delaware but that may be too far from Raleigh for you.

Old Jul 28th, 2008, 06:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
While it looks like Cape Charles is very close to both Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic ocean beaches, you can only access the ocean beaches by boat. They are privately owned and held in a conservation easement.
Have you looked at Chincoteague?
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply.

Birdie - We have looking into Chincoteague and still considering it as an option (assuming we can find a place we like). Cape Charles came into the picture because we stumbled across a great house there.

RumRita - Rehobeth and Outerbanks were our preference, but too far for each of the MD and NC couples. We're searching hard for a place in Virginia Beach at the moment.

Thank you!
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 07:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
jenn - If you found a great house, you might want to stick with Cape Charles. A friend of mine goes over there and says there are some great restaurants. I know the restaurant at the golf course there is very well thought of. I will try to find out some more. I think there is a good kayaking outfitter there too. If you haven't been on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, you should drive onto it. You can pay the one way fare and turnaround at the pier or you can take advantage of the one day round trip and drive into VA Beach to visit that beach.