Reload this Page >

Cannon Beach, Oregon

Search

Cannon Beach, Oregon

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 1997, 05:26 PM
John Brownlee

Cannon Beach, Oregon

My wife and I are traveling to the Pacific Northwest next March. We're looking for someplace along the coast in northern Oregon. Would like beachfront accomodations for a couple of lazy days. Any suggestions in the Cannon Beach area?

Thanks

Old Oct 12th, 1997, 11:23 PM
BT

When we've been up at Cannon Beach we have stayed at the Tolovana Inn which overlooks the huge Haystack Rock on the beach. This hotel is right on the beach, the rooms are big, with small kitchens, balconies over the sand, fireplaces and they accept pets. The rooms are actually condos that they rent out so each is decorated differently. It really was quite nice and decently priced too.
They also have an indoor pool. Right next door is a Mo's restuarant (big seafood chain on the oregon coast) so you can walk there for meals and not drive..

Old Oct 13th, 1997, 07:08 AM
Bob

My wife and I go to Cannon Beach at least three or four times a year from Seattle. There is a neat, plain little motel called Webb's Surfside Motel, right in the middle of the town on the beach. It's relatively cheap and very clean. Has an unbeleivable view and is in town so you have all of the fun things to do there right out your back door. Highly recommend it but it is not super fancy. Have dinner at the Bistro and DO NOT MISS breakfast or lunch at the Midtown Cafe about a mile out of downtown, just south. If you want to spend some bucks and stay in luxury, lodge like, go to the Stephanie Inn. Beautiful and right on the beach..

Old Oct 13th, 1997, 04:21 PM
John Brownlee

Thanks folks!

Excellent comments. I've had some information sent to me by the Cannon Beach Chamber of Commerce. It's just that it's much more helpful to have another perspective. I've got a little while to decide so anyone else with a comment or suggestion please feel free to share.

Old Oct 15th, 1997, 01:34 PM
Mary DeWald

I have been going to Cannon Beach for the last 18 years and have seen quite a transformation. We always stayed cheep at the McBee which is an easy walk to town or the rock...has kitchens but no beach view. The Land's End is right in town with a terrific beach view and the price off season especially mid week is very good...mid Nov-mid March 2 nights for 1. Fireplaces, kitchens, small spa etc.
For my tastes the Tolovana is too large and too far from town to walk easily. Rent bikes to ride on the beach from Mike's, buy a kite at Catch the Wind, buy a bottle of wine, eat breakfast at Lazy Susan and chicken and dumplings at Morris's Fireside. The shops are endless (check the blown glass gallery). Hike in Ecola state park. Everytime I go there I discover something new. If you want to go off the beaten path, check out Manzanita about 5 miles down the road. Don't tell anyone how wonderful it is though. The town is growing too fast. I miss the 80's. Maybe by the time you get there the new brewpub will be finished...but I'll miss the old rickity Bill's Tavern which was torn down. Oh well, that's progress. Have fun!!

Old Oct 15th, 1997, 09:02 PM
Sarah

>. LOL!!! Very funny. I think you're about 15 years too late to say Manzanita is "off-the beaten path"! I think about 500,000 people already know.
That town is packed with people from Portland and espresso stores etc. If you don't tell anyone about it you're the only one in the state who hasn't.

Old Nov 10th, 1997, 05:07 PM
John Brownlee

Last chance for input! I've received some great suggestions and wanted to give folks one last shot before we decide and make our reservations. Look out El Nino!