Cancel trip to SC due to IVAN?

Sep 14th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5
Cancel trip to SC due to IVAN?

I was planning on flying to Charleston, SC, this weekend for a second honeymoon. (from NY) With Ivans path heading north and east, I'm wondering if I should cancel. Any opinions?
sungirl is offline  
Sep 14th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Posts: n/a
Why would you cancel?
Sep 14th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,355
Um, actually Ivan is headding northwest. The tracking is indicating it will make landfall somewhere between Louisianna and the Florida Panhandle. Not near Charleston, SC.

If you're still uncertain check www.wunderground/tropical and click on the maps for Ivan.

You should be fine.
tpatricco is offline  
Sep 14th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 219
What GoTravel said.
atlcity is offline  
Sep 14th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5
I know it's heading North west now, but on it shows the projected track and it arches NW and then NE towards the coast of Georgia an South Carolina. It looks like thunderstorms will cover the area until it arrives. So I'm thinking it may still have some power when it hits.
sungirl is offline  
Sep 14th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 219
Planes fly in the rain everyday.
atlcity is offline  
Sep 14th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,355
This "spaghetti map" doesn't show it tracking toward SC.

I believe it's raining there right now...but not a hurricane. The weekend forecast is for scattered thunderstorms Fri & Sat and Mostly Sunny on Sunday. It should be FINE.

tpatricco is offline  
Sep 14th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,137
If you're going to fuss and fret about it, then maybe you should cancel. Seriously, but thats just me. I mean, what's the point if you're not going to enjoy yourselves. Can you get any kind of refund? There are countless other destinations although I have yet to find a place where perfect weather is guaranteed 24/7. (although Hawaii is close!)
wanderluster is offline  
Sep 14th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5
Dear Sungirl,

I live in Georgia not too far from Charleston. Latest reports indicate we may get some rain - but that's about all. I would NOT cancel my plans. Charleston is a beautiful southern city and you can have so much fun-- even in the rain.

Happy 2nd Honeymoon!

ncc2309 is offline  
Sep 14th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,961
Sungirl, that big wide cone you see on the map at is not showing the area that will necessarily feel the impact of the storm. That's called, as all us Floridians can now say in our sleep, the "cone of uncertainty", and shows the path Ivan might take, somewhere within that beige area. Charleston isn't anywhere near it. Make your trip and enjoy my favorite southern city!
OO is offline  
Sep 14th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 15,749
Yes, OO, I've gained two major bits of vocabulary in the past few weeks:
"Cone of uncertainty"
and "Plywood Stress".

Go to Charleston and have fun! Take an umbrella in case.
Patrick is offline  
Sep 15th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 50
sungirl, I'm glad to see someone else was thinking the same thing I was. We leave Saturday from Iowa for a 6 day vacation to Charleston too. Looks like most of the responses say go ahead and go. Who knows, maybe our umbrellas will cross paths. Mine will be the tourquise one. HA! Have a great trip.
arb is offline  
Sep 15th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5
NOT looking like a good weekend to come! We WILL get the rain and wind. Charleston is famous for it's streets flooding...Not much you can do unless you like wading through water and getting soaked everywhere you go. Market usually closes if it's wind AND rain. If you can reschedule without losing $$$- DO IT! Charleston is especially beautiful in the Fall and even early Winter. Wait untill you can really enjoy it!
RA is offline  
Sep 15th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 696
It depends on whether rain will spoil your plans. Personally, I think Charleston is much better when it is sunny (I have been on trips there in both conditions), but I am not sure I would cancel a trip because of a chance of rain. If you are going to stay long enough for the rain to go away, then you may end up with sun anyway. Of course, there is another little tropical storm down there around Puerto Rico that may impact weather on into next week.
dan_woodlief is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:25 PM.