Cancel trip to SC due to IVAN?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was planning on flying to Charleston, SC, this weekend for a second honeymoon. (from NY) With Ivans path heading north and east, I'm wondering if I should cancel. Any opinions?
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 12:25 PM
GoTravel

Why would you cancel?

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 12:45 PM

Um, actually Ivan is headding northwest. The tracking is indicating it will make landfall somewhere between Louisianna and the Florida Panhandle. Not near Charleston, SC.

If you're still uncertain check www.wunderground/tropical and click on the maps for Ivan.

You should be fine.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 01:12 PM

What GoTravel said.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

I know it's heading North west now, but on weather.com it shows the projected track and it arches NW and then NE towards the coast of Georgia an South Carolina. It looks like thunderstorms will cover the area until it arrives. So I'm thinking it may still have some power when it hits.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 01:43 PM

Planes fly in the rain everyday.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 01:45 PM

This "spaghetti map" doesn't show it tracking toward SC.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical...409_model.html

I believe it's raining there right now...but not a hurricane. The weekend forecast is for scattered thunderstorms Fri & Sat and Mostly Sunny on Sunday. It should be FINE.

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 02:17 PM

If you're going to fuss and fret about it, then maybe you should cancel. Seriously, but thats just me. I mean, what's the point if you're not going to enjoy yourselves. Can you get any kind of refund? There are countless other destinations although I have yet to find a place where perfect weather is guaranteed 24/7. (although Hawaii is close!)
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 02:40 PM

Dear Sungirl,

I live in Georgia not too far from Charleston. Latest reports indicate we may get some rain - but that's about all. I would NOT cancel my plans. Charleston is a beautiful southern city and you can have so much fun-- even in the rain.

Happy 2nd Honeymoon!

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 02:51 PM
OO

Sungirl, that big wide cone you see on the map at weather.com is not showing the area that will necessarily feel the impact of the storm. That's called, as all us Floridians can now say in our sleep, the "cone of uncertainty", and shows the path Ivan might take, somewhere within that beige area. Charleston isn't anywhere near it. Make your trip and enjoy my favorite southern city!
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 02:56 PM

Yes, OO, I've gained two major bits of vocabulary in the past few weeks:
"Cone of uncertainty"
and "Plywood Stress".

Go to Charleston and have fun! Take an umbrella in case.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 05:36 AM
arb

sungirl, I'm glad to see someone else was thinking the same thing I was. We leave Saturday from Iowa for a 6 day vacation to Charleston too. Looks like most of the responses say go ahead and go. Who knows, maybe our umbrellas will cross paths. Mine will be the tourquise one. HA! Have a great trip.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 07:10 AM
RA

NOT looking like a good weekend to come! We WILL get the rain and wind. Charleston is famous for it's streets flooding...Not much you can do unless you like wading through water and getting soaked everywhere you go. Market usually closes if it's wind AND rain. If you can reschedule without losing $$$- DO IT! Charleston is especially beautiful in the Fall and even early Winter. Wait untill you can really enjoy it!
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 08:33 AM

It depends on whether rain will spoil your plans. Personally, I think Charleston is much better when it is sunny (I have been on trips there in both conditions), but I am not sure I would cancel a trip because of a chance of rain. If you are going to stay long enough for the rain to go away, then you may end up with sun anyway. Of course, there is another little tropical storm down there around Puerto Rico that may impact weather on into next week.