Search

Canadian Rockies

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 1998, 08:12 PM
Ethel Brown

Canadian Rockies

My husband and I hve an opportunity to visit Lake Louise the end of April. Is this too early in the season? Any information on places to go and things to do would be appreciated. Will visit Calgary and Edmonton also. Hotels and resturants in a moderate price range? We will rent a car and have a week to tour the area.

Old Jan 8th, 1998, 07:56 PM
jj

Ethel: I can't speak of the weather in April because I've never been there in the spring. However, I can say that Chateau Lake Louise is one classy hotel where the service is excellent. However, watch for inflated prices in some of the restaurants, especially the deli. One excellent restaurant is the Walliser Stube-try the BC salmon. If you like wine, their wine list is in a 3-ring binder. There are some nice hiking trails around the chateau, but Moraine Lake, about 20 min. away, is my favorite. Unfortunately, too many tour buses go there, spoiling the serenity of the view. Rent a canoe and go paddling on a lake of liquid turquoise. The Moraine Lake Lodge also has a nice restaurant. Yoho National Park in BC is about 30 min. away, and don't miss the Icefields Parkway. Have fun!

Old Jan 14th, 1998, 07:22 PM
Lynn

We also stayed at the Chateau Lake Louise, but beware, many bus groups also stay there. When I was there in August, we waited about 1/2 hour to check in due to the lines, but in April, I'm not sure if they would be as busy. Also, as far as the weather goes, my guess is that it would still be chilly in April, so take some warmer clothes. In Calgary, we stayed at The Palliser, right next to the Calgary Tower, which was classy as well. Both The Palliser and Chateau Lake Louise are Canadian Pacific properties from which you can expect very nice hotels and good service. Enjoy Canada, it's breathtaking.

Old Jan 15th, 1998, 09:39 PM
Sue Ross

If you would like to receive up to date weather reports, try Lake Louise's website:
www.lakelouise.com plus there are links.

Old Jan 27th, 1998, 11:19 AM
Jamie

Ethel: As far as going to the Canadian Rockies in April, we've been in June and July and the mornings are quite cool (let's say cold) but the days warm up. I do know when I checked to go there in May one year, many places were not open as their summer season doesn't really open until June. So, April will be rather chilly--but lovely. The Canadian Rockies are our favorite place to go. Lake Louise is beautiful, as is Moraine Lake which is nearby and very much worth seeing. As far as places to stay, Chateau Lake Louise is very expensive. If you can't stay there, they do have a reasonable dining room which is not crowded and looks out onto a garden overlooking Lake Louise--it's called the Poppy Room. The last time we were there, we stayed in a hostel which is supposed to be the nicest hostel in the world. It's like a hotel in the lobby; the rooms are small and do not have private baths--there are a couple on each floor. But people of all financial backgrounds stay here--doctors, middle class, upper class, wandering students, you name it. The rooms are like $20/pp. They have a very good cafe there, too. It was different and we'd do it again as we don't stay in our rooms much anyway. So, if you're just looking for a place to sleep . . .

Old Jan 27th, 1998, 02:24 PM
Carla

If you like a bit of quiet, another nice place to stay is Castle Mountain Chalets. Its half way between Lake Louise & Banff. Cozy cabins off the highway and lots of wildlife>

Old Jan 31st, 1998, 02:47 PM
John

try Revelstoke
1998-"Best accomodation value in Canadian Rockies/National Parks"

http://www.revelstokecc.bc.ca/mountns/hostel.htm