Reload this Page >

Canada vacation, August, Toronto area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 1998, 12:58 PM
Nancy Ponder

My husband has a business trip to Waterloo beginning Aug. 9. We would like to vacation in area before meeting begins but know nothing about the area. Will have rental car. Want to see the sights and have new experiences. Moderate prices.

Old Jan 3rd, 1998, 05:09 PM
Rick B.

If you're going to stay in the Toronto area, you can usually get a good rate at any of the chain hotels. We've stayed at both the Skydome & Hilton downtown and the Best Western in North York. You can get to most any where in a short time on the expressways. There are the "broadway" shows, the Zoo, baseball games, shopping. Outside of Hamilton, about an hour from Toronto, there is an African Game Preserve. Niagara Falls is about 2 hours away from Toronto.

Use search to get more info about Toronto and surrounding area.

Old Jan 3rd, 1998, 06:50 PM
Bob Greenhalgh

We have lived here for 6 years and acted like tourists for most of it, so here goes.

The "broadway" style shows are a must see, it you enjoy that stuff. Also the TSO may have a concert series when you are in town.

Major league baseball at skydome is always interesting, but the Blue Jays have not lived up to the promise of the repeat World Series in 92 & 93. Canadian football in Toronto and Hamilton can also be interesting. Museums are big: the ROM (Royal Ontario Mus.) is worth a visit. AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario) is also good. There is the Bata Shoe Museum (true!), and a planetarium. Zoo is good, as is wild animal park. A must see, especially for kids (of any age) is the Ontario Science Centre -- full of interesting exhibits, many hands on, and demonstrations of science "stuff". Niagara Falls is touristy, but still mightly impressive. Near Niagara falls is the town of Niagara on the Lake (Canadian side). This is a must see, as it has much charm and many very interesting shops, restaurants, and quaint B&Bs. It is also home of the Shaw Festival, which runs in three theatres during the summer -- very good productions. Also nearby is the Niagara wine region. You could spend two days visiting the many wineries and their attached restaurants and never backtrack. If you enjoyr wine, GO! Closer to Waterloo is the town of St Jacobs, with a very fun farmer's market every Thurs and Sat (maybe Tues). Lots of produce, home cooking, great pies and fudge, nice crafts, etc. Lots of photo opportunities. In the area near St Jacobs there are lots of Mennonites (sp?). they can be seen driving their buggies along the country roads.

Much more to see and do.

E-Mail me if you would like some more info

Old Jan 3rd, 1998, 08:16 PM
Karen

I agree with Bob that Niagara on the Lake, Canada was just a beautiful area and very impressive little village...beautiful ,small, high quality shops and alot of cultural events. Well worth making an effort to visit.

Old Jan 4th, 1998, 07:57 AM
Tom

Don't miss going to Elora to see the Gorge. Shopping in quaint shops. As mentioned, St. Jacobs is a great village and so is Elmira.

Old Jan 6th, 1998, 03:39 PM
Bob Greenhalgh

Try these web sites:
WWW/tourism-toronto.com .....
WWW/thestar.com newspapers for current events .........
WWW/starcitysearch.com

I agree - Elora is great. Forgot to mention the Stratford Festival, Stratford Ont (Close) Offers plays by Shakespeare during summer, similar to Shaw Festival (which is plays by G.B. Shaw and his contemporaries)

good luck

Old Jan 6th, 1998, 04:17 PM
jj

Nancy: A car is almost unnecessary in Toronto due to their excellent public transit system. A day pass costs $6 and allows unlimited travel on subways (very safe), buses and trolleys. We enjoyed the Hockey Hall of Fame, where the Stanley Cup is on display; Toronto Islands for a nice getaway from the city; Royal Ontario Museum and Eaton Centre. Good places to eat are the 7th Street Bar and Grill in the train station and Marche in BCE Plaza.

Old Jan 7th, 1998, 07:25 PM
Cindy

You didn't mention if you have children, but if you do, I highly reccomend the African Lion Safari near Cambridge. My children (ages 7 & 9) loved it. You drive through an area of animals-like an open zoo, but you are the ones caged. Many animals come right up to the car! Watch out for the monkeys! They also have some very good animal shows. Have fun.