Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can you rent snorkeling gear at Hanauma Bay on Oahu?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Stephanie

I plan to rent gear wherever I go. I just want to make sure you can rent here before I drive all the way out from Waikiki early in the am.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Lenore

Yes, they have a rental stand. We got there late in the afternoon and they had already closed the stand for the day, but the park was still open. Beware that there is a long steep driveway down to the beach. We had to walk it because the tram had also already finished for the day. Be sure to pay whatever it is and buy the tram pass!

Old May 14th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Judi

We went snorkeling there, and had a great time, and got some great underwater pictures. You can rent a dry snorkel set fo $9. They require credit card or rental keys as deposit to be sure they get their gear back. They close the rental at 4:30 and the tram at 5pm. Tram cost is .50 down and $1 going up. The water is mostly 2-4 feet deep, and very easy to snorkel. Even my husband, a non-swimmer, enjoyed it with his life jacket on.

Old May 15th, 2002, 06:43 AM
jpm

We were there in early march and found that the rental stand didn't open until 9 a.m. (at least while we were there). This may be a factor depending on what time you plan to get there. Of course, they may open earlier now.

Old May 15th, 2002, 07:21 AM
xxx

So convenient to have your own on hand or do a tour in. You think this is will be too bulky for luggage but especially if you have kids it is great to have what fits them on hand before leaving. Leaking masks seems to happen too often with rentals. Nice to jump in with your mask wherever you are and explore the sealife.They lock people out of that park at 9am sometimes. This happened to us in August. They told us we were not allowed to enter on foot yet they let cabs and buses unload people. Said the parking lot was full also. Said we could enter by going to the bottom of the hill parking lot and taking in a limo in at $2 a pop. We think we just got the run around that day but it kind of ruined much of our day. We came back to the park at 3 and had know problems but of course morning is the best time to see fish.