Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can you drive from Waikoloa to Volcanco Village for a day trip? How did you like the Hilton Waikoloa Village?

Search

Can you drive from Waikoloa to Volcanco Village for a day trip? How did you like the Hilton Waikoloa Village?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello to all. Thanks for all your useful info.

Staying at the Waikoloa Village (we got a great deal so will be there for 3 days in October). Just wondering how far it would be from there to the Volcano - I've heard the evening is the best time to see it - concerned how far it might be to make it a day trip or would it make sense to go to the Volcano on departure day and continue to catch a late flight from Hilo?

Any suggestions or feedback on the Hilton Waikoloa is greatly appreciated - I know it's kind of Disneyesque... Thanks again.

Toronto Honeymooner
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 05:06 PM

Hello, yes you can drive it, but the lava flow is best experienced at sunset so I would not do it on the last day you are flying out. Here is a website map showing the 2.5 to 3 hour drive from the Kohala coast (Hilton Waikoloa) region to the Volcanoes National Park which is on the opposite side of the island:http://www.nps.gov/havo/visitor/map.htm
Also be sure to press the lava tab on this website for info. about the hike to see it at the end of chain of craters road. I highly recommend the VNP and lava viewing as a full day into evening trip, though lava viewing conditions vary from day to day.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 05:25 PM

I forgot to mention, we stayed at the Outrigger Waikoloa Beach Marriott in March which is next to the upscale Hilton Waikoloa and less expensive. We visited Waikoloa for dinner at Donatoni's Italian restaurant and enjoyed the ambience and consider the Hilton to be an amazing family resort, some call it Hawaii's Disneyland. However there are other resorts on the Kohala coast you might consider if this is your honeymoon (e.g. Mauni Lani, 4 seasons etc.) Check Hawaii-Big Island Revealed guidebook or search this site for info. about other resorts, I personally have not stayed there.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 06:32 PM

Neilmac
We were there 3 weeks ago, at that time it was a four hour hike(roundtrip) to get to the flowing lava. We didnt go, but if you decide to, bring a flashlight, sturdy boots and lots of water.
We stayed at the Hilton and circled the island in one day.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 04:21 PM

neilmac, I suggest you do a search for Hilton under Hawaii, to read all the posts. Yes, I know, everyone says it's Disney Like. I loved it, and I don't have kids. I am sure there are people tired of me saying this, but I loved all the options and activity.
If you want to post your email address, I will give you some pointers.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Beachkomer:

You can email me at: [email protected] - would appreciate any useful info on the Hilton Waikoloa or anything else on the Big Island for that matter. The honeymoon is fast approaching. Thanks for all your help.

N.