Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can you book open jaw flights with AA miles?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
When you redeem miles on American Airlines, will they allow you to do an open jaw flight for this? I recently had a free ticket from Northwest, and they did allow this. My FF acct. is with AA, so I was wondering if they did the same. Thanks!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 01:52 PM

I would think so, but why don't you call them and ask!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 01:55 PM

Absolutely. What kind of ticket are you getting? Not only can you redeem miles on open jawed tickets, but when I cash in miles (90,000) for a free business class trip to Europe, I've learned I can add a destination in route and one in return for fee. For example -- Miami to London, London to Berlin, Rome to Paris, Paris to Miami.
I'm not sure you'd be able to add a third on domestic tickets, however.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 01:55 PM

You can on United. Using your miles for a ticket, you can change the flight times, dates, everything. It's great. Call AA.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone.

Patrick, what a great tip about adding a destination for a fee, I never would have know that! We will most likely use these tickets (once we have enough miles) for either an open jaw to Hawaii, a vacation in the southwest (Arizona and Vegas or California) or a RT Caribbean ticket. Thanks again!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 02:36 PM

Duh, I just read your last response three times and couldn't figure out what you meant about paying for an extra destination. Then I saw my typo -- I meant for "free" not for "fee". Those extra destinations on those free tickets didn't cost anything. In the example I gave, you are basically booking Miami to Berlin and Rome to Miami, but they allow you free stopovers -- one each way, or two in one direction if one is a "gateway" city.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Patrick, Wow....even better! What a great tip for me to keep in mind, I will definitely use that in the future! Thanks again for your help.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:12 PM

Should I keep going? With AA when you use mileage for a free business class ticket to Europe, you get first class on segments that don't have business class -- which is often the case with flights from your hometown airport to the US gateway city.
This past year with our 90,000 mile tickets we flew from Ft. Lauderdale to New York Laguardia first class. We stayed in New York for three weeks -- we had planned to do that anyway, but decided to include it for free travelwise on this trip. Then we flew from New York to London. Later we could have flown from Rome to Paris, but we ended up changing some plans so dropped that. But then returned from Paris to Miami. AA even considers Ft. Lauderdale and Miami the "same" airport so we could fly out of one and back into another. If someone lived in say Seattle, they could do that same itinerary and be traveling across the US first class all on that free business class ticket.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 07:33 AM

Well, you are just a wealth of info, Patrick! Those are wonderful points to know. Thanks! I would have assumed the two point to points within Europe wouldn't be included and would have paid for them myself without ever asking.