Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can You Advise On A Baggage Dispute With American Airlines?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realise that the Airlines profile is the most appropriate Forum for this question but I’ve posted this on the US & Europe Forums too just in case any of the regulars there have any input. I don’t have all the facts to hand but this is the story as I understand it.

Back in October 2006 myself & other family members travelled with American Airlines from our home airport at Glasgow, Scotland to JFK New York. The trip involved flights with AA’s partners British Airways from Glasgow to London Heathrow connecting with an AA flight from LHR to JFK and the same flights on the return journey.

To cut a long story short, my sister in law Anne Marie’s case did not turn up when we arrived at JFK and she was one of several passengers from our flight whose baggage had gone missing.

The scene at Lost Baggage was pretty chaotic but when Anne Marie & I eventually got to the front of the queue the necessary documents were completed & signed & the clerkess gave Anne Marie a copy of her report form.

Anne Marie had taken her handbag as carry-on luggage so the only clothes she had were those she had travelled in. On our first morning in Manhattan she bought a few essential items (including contact lens solution to replace her own which was in her case) and she kept all of the receipts as advised by the Lost Baggage clerkess. In fact, the bag did not turn up until we got back home to Glasgow and so Anne Marie ended up spending around about £400 USD on additional clothing & necessities etc. I don’t consider this amount unreasonable when you consider that she had to spend 4 days in New York with only the clothes she had travelled in.

As I say, the bag was eventually delivered to Anne Marie’s home 3 or 4 days after we returned to Scotland. She then gathered together all of her receipts & submitted a claim to AA for the additional costs incurred. To her surprise and dismay, however, AA refused to meet the claim because she had not telephoned them in advance for authorisation to make the purchases. Over the course of protracted correspondence Anne Marie explained that she had not been made aware that the purchases had to be authorised in advance but AA insist that this would have been made clear to her both verbally, by the clerkess at the JFK Lost Baggage desk & in the leaflet which the clerkess would have given her when she made reported the bag missing.

I realise that I can’t be viewed as an impartial witness but I was with Anne Marie throughout the whole process at Lost Baggage and there is absolutely no doubt, firstly, that she was given no such verbal advice and secondly, that she was not given the leaflet that AA referred to in their correspondence – the only paperwork she was given was a copy of her report form.

AA have now advised Anne Marie that they consider the matter closed & that they will not meet any of the extra costs which she incurred. She has tried to escalate the matter through AA’s offices here in the UK but they have just referred her back to their Head Office in the US who, of course, have already washed their hands of the whole affair.

My first thought was that she should take the matter up with her insurance company but she tells me that they are unable to help. I must admit that I don’t understand why this should be the case but then I don’t know the full details of her insurance cover.

What I do know is that AA took her money, failed to deliver her luggage, left her in Manhattan for 4 days without her belongings & then, not content with ruining her holiday, they have now added insult to injury by refusing to reimburse her for the additional expenses she incurred due to the ineptitude of the staff at JFK Lost Baggage.

Do any Fodorites have any suggestions on where we can go from here? I haven’t looked into this in any detail yet but, if this had been an airline in the UK, (say British Airways, for example) then I believer that there are various independent organisations we could complain to. Are their similar organisations in the US who would deal with a complaint from a UK passenger travelling on a US airline?

Thanks for your help.

Jim
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 05:06 PM

Jim, If you could cut to the chase on this story I think you might get more help. I got lost after paragraph four in this twelve-paragraph post. Perhaps others will react differently. HTTY
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 05:27 PM

Maybe you should start a topic entitled "Anyone Had American Airlines Lose Their Luggage?"

Maybe you'll hear from a dozen or so people who had the same experience...never were handed a pamphlet or given a phone number for pre-authorization. Then you can print the thread, send it to AA Customer Service and the President of the Airline , telling them that you plan to send it to the FAA and to the Attorney General's office in NY.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 05:41 PM
LN

You may need to check with the FAA as to what airlines are required to do. Last year Lufthansa lost my luggage for 15 days and I had a difficult time getting them to own up to my losses. I did win my claim though at their Lost counter in Frankfurt. I had documented everything, including the cell phone calls trying to locate the bag, and that documentation helped.

It is my understanding that they are supposed to allow you to purchase necessities when your things are missing.

Good luck, and please try checking out the rules and then get after their butts!!
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 05:56 PM

I had an article stolen from my luggage by AA and after a few letters I was able to get a full refund for the item taken. Fortunately had followed the proper protocol (which I had filled out a stolen property form w/in 24 hours) and followed up on it via mail.

In the future if this situation ever happens again be sure to ask the Airline what to do in this situation, what the rules are regarding purchasing "hold over" clothing items or toiletries.

Two things you can do at this point but I don't know how much help you'd get:

File a complaint with the NTSB:
http://www.ntsb.gov/info/sources.htm

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau which will mediate for you. AA is not in good standing with the BBB so I don't hold out much hope that you will get any monies refunded.

The BBB American Airlines Reliability Report:

http://www.fortworth.bbb.org/commonr...ompid=57010002

File a complaint:

https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/GetStarted.aspx
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 06:01 PM

Upon looking at the "Refund Practices" section of the AA Better Business complaints you may have some chance at a refund. I am guessing there is some legal out for aa regarding reimbursement protocol.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 06:46 PM

My bags somehow got delayed on a trip to ATL on AA. They gave me 150.00 to buy make-up and toiletries because I threw a fit.
I was headed to a meeting and had not put make-up on, fixed my hair, etc... it was a 645am flight from DFW. My meeting was at noon.
They gave me a piece of paper. That's it.
I got to the hotel and a Macy's was next door.
I bought the supplies and when I went back to Dallas, I presented the receipts + paper to someone... I can't recall who. They gave me the money.
PS... my bag was delivered to the hotel at 1pm the same day!
I am Platinum on AA. That may help.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 07:47 PM

Many airlines apply a formula to determine if, and how much, a passenger is entitled to for delayed luggage (as opposed to lost luggage). I recently flew on Alaska Airlines, and my bag was delayed for three days -- I think the formula was $25 after a 24-hour delay, and another $75 for the second 24-hour delay (I may have those figures wrong, but it was not a lot of money).

I think its hughly unlikely that they will reimburse £400 (around $800) for a four-day delay (that's a lot of money for clothes for a four-day stay).

If her baggage was lost, there are other rules that apply, and she would receive more money.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Sincere thanks to everyone who replied on all 3 Forums – well, almost everyone . (HTTY, if you think this post was long winded, it's probably best if you avoid my Trip Reports!)

There are a couple of points I need to clear up. Firstly I managed to confuse everyone by using two different currencies in my post – my fault. The amount claimed was for around $400 or approximately £200. Is that excessive? I don’t know. Female posters here might be the best judge of how they would cope for 4 nights (5 days) in Manhattan with one set of clothes & no laundry facilities. Even if it is excessive, was it unreasonable to expect AA to meet at least some of the costs?

Also, the claim was made immediately the lost bag was returned to my SIL in the UK in October 2006 – the fact that it’s still unresolved gives you some sort of idea of how slowly AA’s Customer Service (for want of a better term) moves.

Anyway, as I said, thanks for the tips – we’ll sit down & decide where to go from here. I’ll probably top this one more time tomorrow to catch the back to work crowd.

Cheers,

Jim
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 08:54 PM

I hope you are keeping a paper record of all your conversations of who you spoke to and when and also sent mail with proof of delivery. If AA considers the case closed I think you may have to go through the Better Business Bureau. You can keep trying to go up the ladder but it helps when the BBB can mediate for you.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Topping for those who missed this over the weekend.

Jim
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 01:03 PM

I think I have to agree with the airline because advance authorization was not asked for.

I don't think $400 to have to spend is unreasonable for 4 days.

But, anything that was purchased should be able to be used up in the future anyway whether it is clothing, make-up or contact lens solution.

So your sister-in-law is not really out the entire $400 even though she did have to purchase the items when she really didn't need them. And she probably had to pay full price instead of buying things on sale as she needed them.

I would still contact the airline. Ask for a supervisor & perhaps some agreement can be reached for 1/2 the $400. But don't count on it.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 01:26 PM

Is it possible that since there are two airlines invovled they'll point the blame at one another?
Our daughter's bag was MIA on her flight to Hawaii which invovled two different airlines. This could have been alot worse than it was as she was getting married there but she carried her dress on the flights. She did have to get somethings but quite abit of difference between Oahu and Manhattan. Fortunatly her bags finely caught up with her before they went to the BI, however what she was hearing everytime she called about them "it was the other guys fault".
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 02:33 PM

I have a DFW-ORD-LHR trip on AA, then on to Berlin on BA.
I am expecting the worst concerning my luggage. I am preparing in several ways.
1. My small carry on will have a change of clothes as well as my nightgown. I am packing them in a small, stretchy soft pillowcase so I can use it as an extra pillow on the flight.
2. I am taking a ziplock bag with necessary toiletries. I got loads of great samples from Nordstrom.
3. I used a paint pen to mark the interior of my luggage with my name, address and phone number. It is flourescent yellow, permanent and prominent!
4. I will tape my destination information to the inside lid of my bag. If it gets lost and they open it they will see the flight numbers, record locator and FF#. AA and BA can get all the info they need from that information.
These few things make me feel better.
I honestly think it would help, unless the bag is outright stolen.
On this trip I am using a well worn Pathfinder, and it has my name in yellow paint on the inside!
Anything valuable will be in the cabin with me!
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 03:04 PM

I am not sure if I can help but I did have a similar situation and I was refunded after getting the run around and around. I believe, however, that airlines have caps on how much they will pay out per day.
I had to mail in my request to "special address" in Arizona - which I did after waiting 6 months for a reply. All of these matters were strictly done in writing or by fax and there was no one who could speak to me about it. Very frustrating.

I then only got $100 of the $400 of merchandise that I was requesting (there were four of us travelling and we were told it is $25 for the first day, $50 for the second for each person - our luggage was lost for three days but we only got a total of $100 for the four of us. I was content with that and let it rest.

I would try another avenue - write to another address. Put it all in writing and be patient - but do follow up. Good luck.

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 08:27 AM
LT

Hi Jim:

I don't mean to be mean (am sorry this happened to your SIL), but, bottom line, your SIL should have inquired while she was at the counter, filling out the forms. Frankly, figuring out how I was going to get clothes would have been at the top of my mind at that time, and I'm not sure why it didn't occur to her or anyone else in your party. Perhaps you were all tired?

Having said that, I can suggest the following:

- Write to the President of AA. You can get the info at www.hoovers.com. Don't start at the bottom -- start at the top.

- Was her ticket bought on a credit card? If so, check with them to see if they offer any lost luggage assistance. Many credit card companies here in the U.S. offer some very basic and limited baggage insurance.

- You can file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Transportation: [email protected]

Aviation Consumer Protection Division, C-75
U.S. Department of Transportation
400 Seventh Street, SW
Washington, D.C. 20590

But, bottom line is that your SIL did not follow procedures, and even if she did, the airlines are notoriously stingy in these types of situations, so tell her to keep her expectations low. Chalk it up to a lesson learned. Good luck!