Portland-Tigard: Where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking my mother to Portland next month to visit her 90-something year-old aunt, who lives in Tigard (just west of 217/210). We will probably stay five days/nights, and will split the time between visiting and some sightseeing in the area. We don't have any fixed commitments, but I assume we will get together with my aunt on most but maybe not all days. My preference would be to stay downtown, but I will be doing all the driving, and I don't want that to turn into a chore. From a look at Google Maps, it doesn't look like a particularly long drive, but I know that doesn't factor in traffic, etc. Cost isn't as much a factor as stress level. Am I better off staying in Tigard or somewhere around there? Thanks!
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:04 PM

The Embassy Suites in Tigard is probably your best bet - although I last stayed there 20 years ago (wow!), I assume it's still pretty nice. It's right off the 210/217 interchange, at Washington Square Mall.

Perhaps you could split your nights - do a few downtown and the rest at the Embassy Suites? I know it's a pain to change hotels, though...

If you wanted to stay in downtown Portland, you'd take Highway 26 west to 217 south to Tigard. 26 west traffic isn't so bad pretty much any time of the day; going the other way, eastbound, is generally awful at rush hour, though, and traffic on 217 either direction can be awful between Tigard and highway 26. if you are going at odd hours not at rush hour it's generally a very easy drive - almost all freeway.
Old May 12th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Andrew. That probably makes more sense. I started thinking about doing a drive like that every day (I live in Chicago, so I know traffic...) and began to wonder if it would get tiring. I may try to squeeze a night or two downtown on one end of the trip.

BTW, I did do something wrong when I mapped the destination last night. It's actually more in the southern part of Tigard, between 99W and 1-5, near Summerfield Golf Club. I assume that might change the driving route to/from downtown (if we do stay there) and maybe the choice of where to stay?

Thanks, again.
Old May 12th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

To clarify, when I said "change the choice of where to stay" above, I was looking at some things along I-5 listed in TA as "Lake Oswego." It looks like that might be a little more convenient than the area around 210/217, but again, I don't know the traffic patterns. Thanks!
Old May 12th, 2010, 06:34 AM

I would opt for something more in the Lake Oswego area.

Very close to your area in King City, on hwy99w, is a Best Western. Neighbors stayed there while having work done on their home and said it was nice. It is the only hotel around hwy99w in this area.

The area near the 217/I5 interchange has several good hotels. There is a Pheonix Inn, a Residence Inn, A Crown Plaza, etc. All of these are near a Trader Joe's and a couple restaurants, and literally right at the freeway interchange so very quick and easy to get into downtown Portland.

Also near here is Bridgeport Village, an upscale shopping area with a brand new hotel that is supposed to be quite nice. The Grand Hotel opened late last summer.

These last two areas I mentioned would be my pick as they are nicer and have easier freeway access. HWY99W in Tigard is a zoo most any time of day. I live just south of Tigard and avoid that area of 99 completely.
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, mms. That is very helpful. I had been looking at a Holiday Inn Express in the same area, but the Grand Hotel looks better--and, it's less expensive (believe it or not)!
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:06 AM

The HIE is in a much less desirable location than the Grand Hotel. It is literally right at a freeway onramp, and at a very congested intersection. While the Grand Hotel is nearby, the location feels much different. Hands down I would opt for the GH
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

mms--just wanted to thank you for the reco for the Grand Hotel. It has worked out very well. With no traffic, it's about five minutes from my aunt's house. And having Whole Foods across the parking lot and the Bridgeport shops within walking distance has been very helpful. The hotel is very nice; very comfortable with nice-sized rooms. It reminds me a little of the Ayres Anaheim, where I've stayed quite a few times.

As I was traveling with a 75 year old and visiting a 90 year old, we didn't push too hard, but still managed to see quite a bit. We visited Newport--twice actually, as we had to backtrack there and then use the road to Corvallis on the way home due to an accident that closed the highway for hours on Sunday. We went downtown a couple of times to several of the gardens and to walk around a bit. And, today we went to Multnomah Falls and around that area. Didn't get to stay downtown, but I will be back for that!
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 04:13 PM

ms_go--Thank you so much for letting us know how it went! Yes, I heard about that accident. We were at the coast this weekend, but avoided that. The Bridgeport area is so nicely done. You should have seen it before, lol. You are lucky too to be here with our good weather Glad I could be of help.