Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can anyone tell me if Powell street in San Francisco is a good location?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 08:51 AM
Sheila

I am trying to find a lowcost hotel in San Francisco for a weekend in October. The Herbert on 161 Powell has a good rate. Could anyone please help me if this is a safe area and nearby to things to do in the city? Thanks for any help.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 09:15 AM
Deborah St.Onge

I stayed at the Monticello Inn on Powell Street in San Francisco. It's in the middle of ALL the action. Meaning stores,businesses,ton's of people and easy access to buses and trolley cars. I loved it on Powell Street. We wouldn't stay anywhere else but Powell Street. Enjoy!!

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 09:40 AM
Gail

This is one of those matter of choice questions. Deborah is right in that it is right in the middle of the action ,for me not unlike going to a seaside resort and staying on the boardwalk next to the amusement park, great location if that is what you are looking for. This is a VERY basic hotel and would recommend requesting a room in the back and /or bring those foam ear plugs just in case you find yourself in a room right on Powell street as it will be noisy there. You might consider the San Remo which is in North Beach/wharf area as an option. For me a far more interesting area of SF to stay in. This is shared bath european style but/and a very popular place. In the same price range or less. www.sanremohotel.com Look at bayarea.citysearch.com and click on visitors-getaways for ideas and to do a search for evaluations on these hotels.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 04:13 PM
Sheila

Thankyou Deborah and Gail. I haven't made the reservation yet and still trying to decide. I have my airline ticket and just need to decide where to stay. Thanks Again.

Old Sep 15th, 2000, 05:29 AM
rob

i would stay somewhere off of powell st. we stayed on pine st a block or 2 off of powell but within easy walking distance to "the action" and the cable car. can't really recommend any hotels by name as they weren't anything special.

Old Sep 16th, 2000, 04:04 AM
LookAtWebsite

Here's a website that has some helpful info for a San Francisco visitor:

http://www.sftravel.com/

Old Sep 17th, 2000, 03:33 PM
David M

Sheila --

That part of Powell (161) is reasonably safe, though there are homeless (some of whom can be annoying, and not because they're homeless). I don't know what rate you got, but you might try the Chancellor, which is a couple of blocks north on Powell and even safer. Either way, though, you'll be all right.

Old Sep 17th, 2000, 03:35 PM
David M

Oh yes, things to do. Go to Alcatraz (on a sunny day). It's fun, you get to take a bay cruise, and the history and grounds are interesting. Have a drink and watch the sunset (if there is one) at the Beach Chalet, at the end of Golden Gate Park.

Old Sep 17th, 2000, 05:13 PM
kam

Sheila, if you're OK with the homeless people and are OK with staying in the "city center" then the Herbert sounds OK, although I don't know it personally. You will be on the "fringe" of the nice touristy part of SF. I would also second a suggestion above to look at the San Remo, which is lovely, clean, but no nonsense in North Beach.

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 11:52 AM
Sheila

I got my reservations for King George on Mason & Geary. Does anyone have any information about this hotel from past experience. Thanks

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 08:24 AM
Diane

You're a block from Union Square. A very good location. Don't know the hotel but you should feel comfortable in the area.

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 09:41 AM
Sheila

Thanks Diane. Do you happen to know about the Great Pacific and Grayline Tours? I can't seem to get a response to my other post. Thanks