Can 2 share a steak for 1 at Peter Luger's?

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 03:47 PM
Dan

Can 2 share a steak for 1 at Peter Luger's?

We'd like to try Peter Lugers. We rarely finish a whole steak - and staying in a hotel does not give us the option of packed up leftovers. What's the attitude there for sharing? Is there a sharing charge?

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 03:59 PM
M.M.

You're kidding,right ?

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 09:54 AM
suzee

Why is this such a strange question? Not everyone can devour a 16oz. steak.

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 10:04 AM
lisa

Call the restaurant in advance and ask them what their policy is on sharing plates. Some restaurants charge a small fee (e.g. $5) for splitting an entree.

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 10:35 AM
Dave Rubinton

Um, i would advise not calling Peter Lugers in advance with such a question - the waiters don't need any excuse to treat you gruffly.

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 10:45 AM
lisa

I don't understand what the harm is in calling and asking a question. I have seen numerous articles in newpapers and magazines on how various restaurants around the world deal with issues like sharing plates, uncorking bottles of wine brought from private wine cellars, etc. It is a legitimate question, they're not going to know who you are when you call, and if they deal with it rudely then you know not to go there.

Dan: By the way, I don't know where you're staying but lots of hotel rooms have small refrigerators or minibars which can be used for storing leftovers. Many times while in New York I have had a great second meal for lunch the next day following a great dinner I couldn't finish the night before.

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 11:20 AM
Yvonne

Yes you can share a steak at Peter Luger. I have been there several times and it is almost expected that you are going to share. The waiters look down at everyone. It's part of the atmosphere. Enjoy!

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 01:55 PM
Ellen

We thought we would go to Peter Luger's with our two kids, 11 & 13. Plan to share a couple of steaks between us, plus whatever sides we like, etc. Any reason to expect we'll be turfed out or refused service?

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 05:34 AM
oboy

Ask Yvonne. she takes her child everywhere!

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 06:19 AM
Dawn

Where is Peter Lugar's located?

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 06:30 AM
howard

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 06:30 AM
howard

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 06:34 AM
Dawn

Thanks

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 07:38 AM
howard

Just learned something else about Peter Lugers in today's NY Times. At lunchtime you can get a Luger burger for $4.95, which at that price, the Times rightfully calls it a "steal"! Before you ask, I would tend to doubt you can get it an dinnertime!

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 07:38 AM
howard

Just learned something else about Peter Lugers in today's NY Times. At lunchtime you can get a Luger burger for $4.95, which at that price, the Times rightfully calls it a "steal"! Before you ask, I would tend to doubt you can get it an dinnertime!

Old Aug 13th, 1999, 09:57 AM
Lori

FYI, if you do go to Peter Luger's - THEY DO NOT TAKE CREDIT CARDS - cash only.

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 10:28 AM
jm

I hear that you asking for a menu at Peter Luger will uncover your true identity as a tourist. So do we just ask for the porterhouse for 2 (for mom, dad and 13 yr old)? Dare I ask (forum folks, not, heaven forbid the waiter!) if they have chicken or pasta for our non-carnivore 11 yr. old daughter?

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 07:39 PM
Sue

Peter Luger's is a fine Steak House - famous for their quality and portions. You can't get near the place without a reservation. Go hungry. If you leave a few bites - so what? If you really want to know their "attitude" about sharing, why not just call and ask? But, really, when folks go out to dinner, it's customary to order an entree for (each of) yourselves. It just seems terribly inconsiderate (to me) to the proprietors and the service staff to "split" a main course...You could always sit at the bar... Or, find a place with smaller portions within your budget.

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 08:45 PM
Ralph

If you can't manage a "whole steak", why not just grab a hot dog from a convenient vendor or hit McDonalds? Just wondering why you'd choose a "steak house" if you "rarely finish a whole steak"....?

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 10:44 PM
God

Try Peter Lugers - finish as much as the steak as you can and be grateful...what are the "options" of Leftovers, for heavens sake?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -