Reload this Page >

Camping near Mount Rushmore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 09:23 AM
Jenny

I´m going to South Dakota in July and have some time left for Mount Rushmore. Does anyone know a good camingground near Mt Rushmore?
We are probably going to stay in a tent.
Do we have to make reservations in advance? Does it cost a lot during July?

Old Mar 29th, 1999, 10:58 PM
KSLinker

Jenny: If you have an AAA near you check that or look on the net for their site. They will have a listing of available sites, costs, and phone numbers for reservations. It can be very cold there even in July.I seem to remember an area where you could rent a tent for the night(canvas walls, cement floor,bunk beds)and it was in AAA South Dakota tour book. Good luck, it's breathtaking.

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 04:58 AM
Paul Rabe

Two suggestions, both of which have worked for me. The national forests have several undeveloped campgrounds scattered about the Black Hills. Check http://www.gorp.com/gorp/resource/us...d/camp_bla.htm
for more info. If you arrive mid-week, your odds of finding a place go up. Also, check out www.koakampgrounds.com/where/sd/sd.htm
and
http://www.rapidweb.com/cgi/ssi.cgi/...ampgrounds.htm

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 06:10 PM
Chris

Jenny, we camped in Custer State Park about 2 years ago. We drove in from Wisconsin and had reservations at a KOA campsite and couldn't believe when we arrived there. We were next to a garage near the highway, 6 days of this, no way. Went to Custer State Park, with no reservations and we luck out to get a campsite and loved it. Went in June and no bugs for us, lots os space around you. The showers were cold, but the campsite was beautiful and saw alot of animals. Enjoy your stay, lots to see and do!!!

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 07:35 PM
Riley

We are also going camping in the area in June and would love to hear from someone where to camp in Custer State Park? Are they reservation only? We are also looking for camping up near Sundance Wyoming. Any suggestions. We will be camping with a pop up and a small child.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 11:10 AM
connie

Horsethief Lake is a neat national forest campground very close to Mt. Rushmore. There are no showers but we went down the road to the KOA and paid for showers. We don't care for KOA type places for camping but there is one close by.

We were surprised to find a several sites open late in the afternoon in July. Custer S.P. was already full.

If we ever go back we will go straight to Horsethief Lake C.G.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Teresa

We enjoy camping in the Black Hills National Forest--sites are relatively isolated and quiet--it's really beautiful. Last time we camped near a lake and were the only people around, it seemed (and this was July). Custer State Park would be my second choice--staying near Sylvan Lake. Sites are closer together, though.