Search

camera help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 11:09 AM
kim

camera help

I am planning a 3 to 4 week road trip this summer through Oklahoma, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, California, Nevada, Colorado. I would like to take some good photos of scenery/family/friends. I can't decide whether to get a Cannon Rebel 2000 SLR or a Yashica T4 Super point and shoot. I like the convenience of a point and shoot; but I don't know about the quality. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 11:41 AM
L

As one expmaple, look at Nikon N65 with one lens ... perhaps less than $400. It's an SLR with a fully automatic program ... just point and shoot. But you need more capability, for times you want to control the exposure. Nikon and others offer this. Be sure to go with a SLR with an automatic program and flash included ... you want the camera to do all of the calculations for you. Ciao

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 11:43 AM
L

Another thought - the lens. Most experts say for the first lens get a zoom ... 35-80 mm. Gives you a bit of a wide angle for scenery, normal at 50 mm, and a slight portrait for family and friends at 80 mm. Get a good one lens too ... probably f3.5 for speed. And you can find a good photgraphy paperback by Nikon or Kodak which will tell you all you need to know. Ciao

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 11:45 AM
J T Kirk

I shoot with three cameras: Nikon F3 (manual), Nikon N80 (autofocus), and an Olympus point and shoot. The Olympus is my "back-up" camera. It's small, and has some nice features. I originally bought it because I got tired of lugging my big cameras everywhere. And it (like most point and shoots) is a good camera. BUT- it has its limitations. I find that I get crisper shots with the SLRs (although the point and shoot does give render good pictures). I also can use filters with the SLRs. I'm a big believer, since I take a lot of outside shots, of using a polarizer. this filter really brings out the (natural) blue in the sky and water. You can't use a filter with a point and shoot. Then again, the SLRs are dang heavy. So, you have to decide? Is the weight worth dealing with for (maybe) slightly better pics? Fundamentally, I believe a great photographer can take a good picture with a poor camera, but a poor photographer can't take a good picture with a great camera. And I mean no personal offense by this. Just my (rambling) thoughts.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 11:49 AM
J T Kirk

L's right, and let me carry it further. If you go the SLR route, spend a little more for a better quality lens. this can make all the fifference in the world. I think a good all around lens is 38-105. If you do alot of outside shots (wildlife, landscapes) I'd get a 28 - 200mm.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 11:53 AM
Rebecca

I am a freelance photographer, and used to work at a camera store. I have two SLR's (where you can take the lenses off), and one point and shoot. I always use my "good" cameras for anything important, where as the point and shoot is for back up or if I cannot take a larger camera somewhere. I would suggest getting the Canon Rebel, as it is pretty automatic. You can have the option to just turn it on, point, and it automatically focuses. Yet as you get more advanced, the camera has more advanced features that you can use which is really nice as you learn. You have so much more with SLR's-filters that go on the lense for special effects, different lenses-where the Yashica has a fixed zoom, you can always get more lenses for close ups or telephoto with the Canon.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 12:14 PM
brown I's

Kim -- you didn't mention your photo background. If you are experienced, I would say to buy the SLR; if you're not, try the point and shoot.

Seems people buy a "good" camera but when they don't know how to operate it properly, the camera ends up in a closet. Point and shoots have been a blessing for those with less experience.

I prefer my P&S for vacations; since you'll be driving, lugging an SLR shouldn't really be an issue. (Good luck!)

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 12:47 PM
kim

Thanks for all of the advice. I am a novice with cameras. I have only used a point and shoot, but I'm tired of having ugly pictures of important events. The Cannon Rebel 2000 sounds like something I could use right away and also add to as I learn. It looks pretty light weight for an SLR, but I am concerned about carrying a big camera around on my vacation. That's why I was considering the Yashica T4 Super. I wish I could get both, but I don't want to spend the money.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 01:09 PM
L

Kim, sounds like the posters gave great advice. Also sounds like you're going with a good SLR that offers the option of adding on as yoy grow more comfortable with the camera and become more ambitious about making pictures. A zoom is just the perfect first lens ... a 28-200 mm was mentioned ... really, that's a very flexible lens for what you say you'd like to do. But get the best 28-200 mm you can afford. And make it as "fast" (lower f number .. the camera store will help you) as you can afford ... that will make it easier to shoot in low light, for example, around evening. May I also suggest you read the camera manual carefully ... study it, in fact. And get the folks at the camera store to help you ... they can take the camera out of the box for you, insert the batteries, and show you how to attach the lens, as well as load the film. If you're in the DC area, Penn Camera is very reliable ... downtown or at Springfield, VA. BTW, when you get ready for a second lens, and if you have a reliable store, look at used lens too. Have fun. Ciao

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 02:44 PM
xxx

Took a Yashica T4 point and shoot and a borrowed Olympus Stylus Epic Zoom (Panorama) to California last summer. Left the Minolta SLR at home. Was very happy with the pictures from both cameras. Got some wonderful panorama pictures at Yosemite from the Olympus. But will say we are not camera experts by any means. Before I bought the Yashica I checked out tons of reviews from users of all experience levels online at some of the photography sites. It was a toss-up bet/ the Yashica and the Olympus but was not unhappy with either.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 02:58 PM
Sal

Kim, I searched for years for a camera that was easy to use, took great pictures (including zoom) and was small. A few years ago I bought a Pentax IQZoom 160. This camera meets all the criteria, plus takes panoramics. The best part is it has a 160 zoom, yet is very compact. I think I paid around $300 for it. It's been all over the country and to Europe and the photos are always great--even though the photographer is not!

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 03:05 PM
Brian Kilgore

Buy the Canon if you think you would liek to have several pictures good enough to get enlarged and framed when you return.

The real decision-makingpoint is how hard do youw ant to be able to work, andhow hard willyou actually work.

The T4 is a fovorite camera of professional photographers who do not want to work hard, outside of working hours. IT has one of the best lenses, from a sharpness point of view, and is easy to use and very well made.

But it is very, very limiting.

The Rebel is not very big, although bigger than the T4, so it will be more trouble to carry, but not allthat much more trouble.

And it is much more versatile. Better closeups. Get the standrad zoom lens that comes in a Canon Rebel kit and you'll have many more framing options than with the T4.

Sharpness is a toss-up. The T4 lens is very, very good.

But the big advantage of the Rebel is the ability to frame carefully, get close, zoom the lens, and more easily adjust exposure for weird lighting conditions(like silouettes)

If you want to confuse yourself a bit more, look at the Nikon f65 and the Canon, and buy the one that feels best in your hands.

And take your film to a good photofinisher. Bad processing is the main cause of disappointing pictures.
BAK

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 06:26 AM
Dick

Kim,

You've receivedn some great advice already.

If you really want to get some great scenic shots.....pics that you may be able to enlarge and frame...I reccommend taking a tripod. It is easier to "frame your shot"..and the pic will be sharper. As an added bonus, you will be able to get into the pics with your family using the tripd and a timed shutter release. (I've used this to take pics of my wife and I while travelling)

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 08:22 AM
S

Kim,
Photography is my hobby. But considering I work full time, am married, 2 kids, on the go all the time, I don't really have the time to get in to it like I would like. I have an SLR that I can hand to anyone but my Mom and have good results with the pictures. You've received lots of good advice so far. Here's some more.

The SLR will let you make the step up in your photography efforts. Some of the models have really gotten lightwieght lately! Consider getting a fannypack camera bag. It takes the weight off your shoulder and onto your legs. Somehow/somewhere, years ago, I got some videos about shot composition. That's probably made the biggest difference in the quality of my pictures! Between now and vacation time, find out what you can at the beginner level on setting up the shot in your viewfinder BEFORE you snap the picture. I have a Minolta Maxxum SLR and know that Minolta has a website with all sorts of helpful hints and links to more. I'd bet Canon does too. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 08:41 AM
L

Message to JT: You said you have an N80 ... I gave my wife an N80 and Nikkor's best 70-300 mm zoom lens ... and someone gave her Nikkor's 35-80 mm zoom. The N80 is one amazing machine ... what a joy to hold and use. I know you must love it too. Mine is headed off to S. Africa this fall to photograph some large animals ... so the N80 turned out to be an early birthday present. Ciao

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 09:12 AM
J T Kirk

to L:
The N80 is a GREAT camera. I've used it in France, the Keys and the Rockies of Canada.
I've had my eye on that 70-300mm lens. Let me know how it works.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 09:51 AM
L

The 70-300 mm is terrific ...but get the G model (about $300 plus in DC) .. the ED is the other, about $150, and not so sharp I'm told. Nikon doesn't make a metal hood for this zoom ... but Penn Camera in DC ordered one for me from Japan ... metal ... $30. It will fit over the Nikon UV filter, but not necessarily over others. The N80 is terrific, as you say, and I am still studying the manual, after 4 months. It certainly offers a lot! I started out on two Nikon F-2 manuals in the very early 1970s ... N80 is certainly a step up, but the same things that helped me with F-2 still apply, I think. Ciao

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 10:45 AM
dan woodlief

I am all for the Rebel. It is lightweight and will allow you to grow. The T4 comes with a fixed lens, so it will be severely limiting for this type of trip. Definitely get a lens that goes at least as wide as 28mm for the scenics; I think Canon still sells a 24-80, but I love my 28-105 and use it for a very large percentage of my travel photos. I agree with using a tripod for scenics because you can use a small aperture (which will give you more sharpness throughout the image) and lower speed film in good low light conditions, but a tripod may be a hindrance if you are not sure about even carrying an SLR. I still say get a good one and put it in the car. That is what I do. Sometimes I have time to take it out, and sometimes I don't. Either way, it is not a bother with a car. If you get the SLR, also get yourself a polarizing filter for the lens, to add blue to the skies and saturate the colors of the landscape. If you go with a 28mm or wider lens, it is a good idea to get a slim version of the filter. It will cost a little more, but with a regular one, you can often end up with dark corners in the photo (known as vignetting). Whatever you decide, do use up a few rolls practicing with the equipment before you go, and read the manual thoroughly.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 11:28 AM
kim

Okay, how does this sound for a first timer? I can get the Cannon Rebel 2000 kit at Walmart for $370. This comes with batteries, strap, and 28/80 Cannon lens. I will also need to purchase a carrying case (the fanny pack sounds good to me) and I'm thinking about getting the polarizing filter lens.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 11:46 AM
J T Kirk

Check out B&H Photo; I think their website is www.B&HPHOTOVIDEO.com. It could be cheaper there, pluse sometimes there are rebates you might not get in a retail store. Also, definately (money permitting) get a polarizing filter. Also, get a UV filter. This filter helps on hazy days, helps filter out reflections when you shoot through glass, and keeps the lens from getting scratched. Have fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -