Camden over 4th of July week - 1st time!

Jun 4th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Camden over 4th of July week - 1st time!

Hello, we were given a friends house to use this July in Camden. I know it's in town and since this is my first trip, can you tell me the must sees and do's? Also, I have to have my lobster, can you recommend restaurants. will be travelling with 4 and 6 yr old kids. Thanks!
Jun 4th, 2007, 10:24 AM

The Bayview and WAterfront restaurants are right on the harbour and both serve wonderful lobsters and are child friendly. Families hang out at the harbour head park and children love the hill for running or rolling down. The public library is in a historic wonderful building with a grea view of the harbour from the upstairs reading room and they have a wonderful children's area on the bottom floor. You should drive up to the top of Mt. Battie for a great view of Penobscot Bay and the town. Wonderful transportation museum in Rockland with is just 15 minutes away. If you don't mind driving about an hour, there is a great maritime museum in Searsport. Kids love to see the "Oreo" cows--belted Galloways in a pasture just a minute or 2 from the center of town(driving). I can't remember the name of the road, but anyone there can tell you where they are--they are actually on the tourist information map! There is a wonderful tourist center in the harbour parking lot with lots of info and friendly staff to help you. Have a great trip!
Jun 4th, 2007, 10:26 AM

Oh -- MAINE. I clicked because I was thinking Camden, NJ, and I just had to see what on earth would possess you! (I mean, I do love the aquarium, but...)
Jun 5th, 2007, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Arriba!! My kids are going to love it!
Jun 5th, 2007, 05:26 AM

You could also try the Lobster Pound in Lincolnville (just a few short minutes before you enter Camden). I had the lobster roll and it was just delicious.
Jun 5th, 2007, 09:34 AM

I agree beba. We like the smaller place near their restaurant where many people get lobster rolls to go to eat to the ferry that lands right there. You can eat there or take it outside and sit and enjoy the weather and view.
Jun 5th, 2007, 11:06 AM

I also recommend the Waterfront restaurant. Good food and a fun, casual atmosphere. I ate there 3 times last summer.