Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Camden area - waterfront lodging-where to stay?

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 10:04 AM
Jane

Hi:

We are thinking about visiting the Camden area this year for a couple of days - would like to stay in a waterfront hotel/motel with great water views - any recommendations? Not really interested in a B & B - also, where do we go in this area for a great lobster dinner? Any good lobster pounds here? Thank you!

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 11:06 AM
bob

Most people stay in an Inn or B&B in the Camden area. Very little in the way of waterfront hotel/motel. The Lord Camden has upper rooms that look over the buildens across the street to the harbor. We go each year to the Maine Stay Inn, two blocks from the harbor. Check out the Camden web site at www.camden.k2bh.com.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 01:48 PM
lisa

Ouch.I thought you meant Camden, New Jersey and wondered why on earth anyone would want to stay in Camden!!! What a relief.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 04:51 PM
Mary

The Inn at Ocean's Edge is a beautiful shingle-style inn, just two or three years old. Every room has an ocean view, king-size bed, Jac. for two and fireplace. It's in Lincolnville, close to Camden and near The Lobster Pound in Lincolnville Beach. Nice private, but convenient location. It is pricey, though. I think the Web address is the name.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 02:40 AM
Dick

The Norumbega (spelling?) was quite nice when we were there a few years ago.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 08:19 AM
Daniel Williams

Lisa-

Funny, I thought Camden, New Jersey also, having not heard of another Camden. I couldn't imagine anyone would make a special trip there either...although isn't there a decent Aquarium and Planetarium there by the waterfront?

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 08:46 AM
lisa

for Daniel
Yes, there is a very good aquarium there as well as the E-center which hosts concerts and shows. Could be a planetarium too. I profess ignorance. Most people who visit these venues stay in Philadelphia which is just over the bridge from Camden. Lots of historical and cultural sites in Philly. Its just that Camden itself is not ( and I'm choosing my words carefully here so that I don't offend anyone) an area one one choose for a place to stay. Parts of Camden are somewhat depressed.
Cherry Hill, which is mostly an attractive residential suburb about 10 -20 minutes away from Camden, is an area with hotels and a mall, racetrack and a large flea market. People do stay in hotels there.
Sorry Jane for hijacking your question.