Cambria, Carmel hotels please

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! I have been reading all the great threads for our trip from LA to San Fransisco this July. But I still need some specifics if anyone can suggest. I am thinking 1 night in Cambria (Moonstruck Landing Inn?) and 2 nights somewhere in Carmel area(Treebones?? Ventana??) and then a night or 2 in San Fransisco. Also, I'd love restaurant ideas for a 20th anniversary dinner near Carmel. BTW, a friend said there is a cool hotel in SLO that each room is decorated in a different theme. Hmmmmm.
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Well, wouldn't you know I just found the perfect thread to answer my question about Carmel. If you have anything to add or a spot in San Fransisco that'd be great, otherwise, sorry for the repeat.
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Neopolitan

In SLO, it's the funky, bizarre Madonna Inn with every room with a different decor.

http://www.madonnainn.com/

And just for fun, you should look at this link too:

http://www.urinal.net/madonna/

Old May 4th, 2006, 07:03 PM

Two restaurants inside the 17 mile drive:

Stillwater - at the Pebble Beach Lodge

Roy's - Inn at Spanish Bay

Both of these restaurants offer spectacular golf course-cum-ocean views.

In town (Carmel) - definitely Casanova's for the kind of special 20th anniversary dinner you are contemplating. Just had dinner there last night and we overheard a couple saying that they had flown in from Chicago just to dine at Casanova's! Great French food!

Bon Appetit!
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Great ideas. Just booked Cassanova's for our dinner and the website and reviews look fantastic. Thanks! Big problem now is I LOVE LaPlaya hotel but they are booked that night. Any suggestions as a back up in Carmel??
Old May 5th, 2006, 05:04 AM
Neopolitan

A fireplace room at the Normandy Inn in Carmel.

http://www.normandyinncarmel.com/

Old May 9th, 2006, 04:02 PM

I love the Pacific's Edge! It is located at the Carmel Highland's Inn. Very good food and views. There is the Tickle Pink Inn right next door where we had a very nice stay.

Casanova is very good, also as is Bouchee, right across from the Carmel Plaza. Too bad about La Playa, we stayed there last May for my birthday, it was wonderful! You may want to look into the Pine Inn on Ocean Ave. We were in Carmel a few weeks ago and loved the looks of the place. It is in a great location and there is a nice Italian restaurant there, also.

I believe you are referring to the Moonstone Landing Inn in Cambria. We have enjoyed stays at the Blue Whale Inn, the Fireside Inn and Cypress Cove. They are all right across from the ocean on Moonstone Drive. Have fun! ***kim***
Old May 9th, 2006, 06:46 PM

The Madonna Inn is very kitschy and somewhat amusing but is by no means a luxury property. It is located on the other side of 101 from downtown SLO so you don't get to experience the charm of the town unless you drive downtown.
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:12 PM

We've been going, off and on, for over 25 years to Casanova in Carmel. Consistently outstanding food in a romantic setting. Vagabonds House in Carmel is a charming B&B around the corner from Casanova. Very quiet setting with rooms around a central courtyard. I posted a trip report with photos on www.tripadvisor.com as I did with Blue Whale Inn in Cambria, which is special.
Old May 13th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the great information. My BIG question of the day is...if I fly into LA and get in early, can we make the drive to Cambria the first night and still enjoy the trip or should we add an extra day and spend a night in Santa Barbara, then 1 in Cambria, then onto Carmel?? Or skip the night in Cambria and stay in Santa Barbara and then on to Carmel??
Old May 13th, 2006, 06:58 AM
trippinkpj

You can make the trip and enjoy, but it will be a little rushed. Have a late breakfast/ early brunch in Santa Barbara, then an afternoon break and snack in Pismo Beach. It's doable in my opinion.

Old May 13th, 2006, 01:19 PM

Shouldn't be more than 4 to 4 1/2 hours or so from LAX to Cambria if not rush hour conditions. Then you can do a leisurely drive to Carmel the next day on Big Sur Hwy.