Cambria & San Simeon...suggestions please!

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 09:18 AM
DC

Cambria & San Simeon...suggestions please!

We're planning an anniversary trip to the Central Coast (Cambria & San Simeon) in mid-October. Any suggestions/recommendations on activities, dining, wineries? Thanks!

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 12:55 PM
Toni

Be sure and see the elephant seals by the lighthouse. Ask any local for directions. They are FANTASTIC!
Also if you haven't already, see Hearst Castle. If you can, see more then one tour. The last time we went we went on 3 different tours, all great!

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 05:05 PM
gail

Just a warning about The Cliffs at Shell Beach (Pismo). I had reserved a partial ocean view. When we got there it overlooked the cement pool pedestal.The rooms are outdated and missing ammenities in some rooms.Once we were moved I had to pay $20.00 night. I would not stay there again.Wish I could have gotten in at Kon Tikki or Sea Venture. We have not been having much luck in the central coast area. Make sure to do a text search as there has been lots of good info on Cambria vs. Moonstone Beach.
P.S. We really enjoyed the night tour at Hearst Castle.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 10:32 PM
C

If there's an evening tour available at Hearst Castle while you're there, that's the one I would highly recommend. The tour groups are smaller at night and the tour is more comprehensive. Call ahead and make reservations since this tour tends to sell out early when available.

As for restaurants in Cambria, I'd recommend Sow's Ear or Robin's for a nice meal.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 05:05 AM
Dawn Ct.

We stayed at the Pelican Suites across from Moonstone Beach in Cambria for one night. It was lovely and we should have stayed longer. I second the suggestion for dinner at Robin's. It was wonderful.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 05:21 AM
Ingrid

One of my husband's & my most memorable meals was at The Sow's Ear Cafe. If you want to check out their menu - here's their website. If you decide to dine there, be sure to try their calamari - the very best we've ever had!

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 08:19 AM
Ken

You may want to stay a little further away in the vicinity of San Luis Obispo. There's a wonderful place to stay and also eat called the Madonna Inn right off the interstate. It is lovely and has a website you can find easily on Google. Have a blast