Calling Dayle---Cloud's Rest hike

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this on your list of favorite hikes. We're thinking of doing it next summer. Despite lots of Yosemite hiking, I've never been up Cloud's Rest. But while up on Half Dome last summer, I found my eyes constantly drawn to it---what a beautiful expanse of granite.

We'll probably camp overnight near Sunrise Creek, assuming we can get a wilderness permit, and start from there. Since the trail goes up and over, is there a preferred direction? Is there any scrambling involved? We'd rather go up the steep way and down the less steep, if there is a difference. Also, how exposed is it? I have a bit of trouble with that---I sometimes have to approach the edge of a huge vertical drop on hands and knees. Or at least have something I can hold onto.

We have no worries with the effort (went up and down Half Dome from the valley in a day), just wondering about the exposure.

Thanks!
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:56 AM

Sorry I'm not Dayle. If he doesn't report back, my brother was telling me about his Cloud's Rest hike, he mentioned that the last part had some scary narrow exposed bits. We were comparing notes on how narrow is too narrow and it was basically just room for one person and one foot in front of the other.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. Is it straght down on both sides of the narrow stretch, or just one side?
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:52 PM

Hi Enzian!

I did Cloud's Rent quite a few years ago, but obviously it really left an impression!

We were backpacking and camped at Sunrise Lakes too! I assume you know all about hanging food and bear boxes if you are Yosemite regulars.

I sure don't remember any narrow spots. I can't imagine you would have any problem if you did Half Dome (which I haven't).

I loved this hike and the views are awesome! You actually look down on Half Dome. We sat on the edge and ate lunch. You might wiggle over on your stomach if drop offs bother you. Yes, it's straight down to the valley floor!

Lord, I hope you don't hit a mosquito hatch! I packed twice in Yosemite over 4ht of July and nothing could ever make me do it again. Both times the mosquitoes were so bad, you couldn't even leave your tent. People were wearing head gear with bug nets and still getting eaten alive. Highly recommend going early Sept!
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:54 PM

Make that Cloud's Rest!
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:55 PM

I'm a "she" by the way! Mom got creative.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi Dayle--mlgb didn't know you are a "she", but I do. I actually know several women named Dayle (or Dale). It's a nice name.

We'll be going in mid-August, after our week at Snowbird, when we are all acclimated to the altitude. Skeeters weren't bad at that time last year, but I suppose it depends on the year. I've got 3 or 4 kinds of repellant left from last summer 'cuz we didn't need it.

BTW, we're thinking of a "hut-to-hut" in the Wasatch this year, from Alta up and over to Brighton (Twin Lakes Pass? Or past Prince of Wales Mine? From my maps it loooks like there are several routes---and it might be easy to get off-route). Spend the night at the Silver Fork, then hike back the next day via Twin Lakes, Lakes Mary and Catherine, and Catherine Pass. If you have any thought on the route, especially going from Alta to Brighton, I'd love to hear. From Brighton back to Alta via Catherine Pass we have done, so no worries about the route there. But we had a heck of a time finding our way up to Twin Lakes pass and then down to the lake---roads and trails everywhere, and no signs. I may have to polish up my compass skills.