Search

Calling Bayou Gal

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling Bayou Gal

Bayou Gal,
I've been searching for your Yellowstone trip report from this last September. Would you be so kind as to give me your impressions about Yellowstone and GT Nat'l park?
My husband and I (both 60) are thinking about going there the 2nd 2 weeks in Sept. of this year.
We normally go to a different country in Europe each year, but can't this year. Since we love the mountains and any kind of wildlife, we have just about decided on yellowstone.
We went to the Canadian Rockies 3 yrs ago and just fell in love with the area. For some reason, I can't wrap my mind around yellowstone.
BTW, we are from Mobile.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Theresa
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 11:46 AM

I topped the thread for you. Here's the link -
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34836620
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 03:50 PM

I was also hoping to see a post trip report from Bayou Gal on Yellowstone/ Grand Teton.

Theresa, it's funny that you mentioned "not being able to wrap your mind around Yellowstone." My husband and I were just discussing this tonight.

Before we went to YNP, I think we had seen too many photos of the tourists there, and just wern't too excited. However, we THOUROUGHLY enjoyed both parks. There was so much more to see than Old Faithful, which of course we knew, but until we went, it was just hard to comprehend how different it would be. Seeing the geyers in the moonlight and early morning were a highlight. We also didn't anticipate how many different thermal features there were to see, and so many away from the crowds. Of course going in September will be a big plus, I would imagine, since we were there at the height of summer.

Enjoy!
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 05:24 PM

Yellowstone is one of my favorite national parks. You just can't beat the wildlife this side of Alaska. Herds of buffalo, antelope and elk are everywhere. You could see a bear or if you are lucky a wolf. The land itself is amazing and will make you feel like you are on a different planet in some places. One section of the park will be very green and "pretty" (Lake Yellowstone are) and then another section will be very odd (Mammoth Hot Springs). There is so much going on underneath the ground there that things change all the time. I just don't think you can go wrong by planning a trip to that area. The only thing I can say to be careful of is the timing. When I was there in 2000 it was around Sept 15th and we got a 14 inch snow overnight that closed many of the roads for a day. The weather can change quickly there and is unpredictable that time of year. The good news though is if you go in September the crowds are pretty much non-existent.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 04:20 AM
AlJ

Not Bayou Gal but here's a different trip report. Its from June. We were in the Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier. Many pictures.

www.AlandSueJohnson.com click on the bison picture.

duncmom1: One of my favorite burgers is in Mobile at the Dew Drop Inn. (sp?)
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Hi, Duncmom1! I have a website in progress, but it's not close to finished. I have a new job so I don't have time to work on it like I'd like to.

You like wildlife? Then you'll LOVE Yellowstone. The day we landed, I cried as we drove into Yellowstone's south entrance from Jackson Hole airport. I couldn't help it - the tears just started flowing. I was so overcome by what I was seeing. I happened to glance up about 8 feet above us where the road cut through a hilltop to see a small herd of elk running alongside the road and our SUV. It was getting late in the day, kind of overcast and drizzly, but a more beautiful site, except for others in the park on that trip, I don't think I've ever seen.

It was non-stop animals from there. September is fantastic because the elk are bugling, and it even snowed on us [a big deal for us southerners! ].

Please ask away, and I'll help as much as I can. BTW, if you read over my old posts-full of questions-when we were planning, and anything by Howard, RedRock, etc, you will find accurate helpful information. All the YNP experts here made our trip the most incredible experience.

It was so great, in fact, we may just go again this fall. We fell in love with the area, and hope to purchase a home/land in Cody or maybe Livingston.

I just don't understand why they won't let me live in the park!? ;-)
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 12:51 PM

If you are interested in the thermal features, be sure and watch the Super Volcano documentary before you go.

Our favorite YNP lodging was Dunraven Lodge in Canyon - due the promixity to wildlife viewing and the quality of the accommodations. Those nights we opened our windows a little to hear the bugling and were thrilled to hear wolves howling too.

Our favorite GTNP lodging was Signal Mtn Lodge, a cabin for 2 with a big gas fireplace. One afternoon we ordered take-out from their excellent restaurant, ate a fine meal on our little porch with the million dollar view, then snuggled in our comfy warm bed - strategically placed in front of the picture window and near the fireplace - to watch the snow falling until almost dark. Then we drove about a mile or two and saw a large bull moose feeding not far from the road.

What a life the locals must enjoy!