California VS Florida

Search

California VS Florida

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California VS Florida

My boyfriend and I, in our late 20's, are planning a trip but we can't decide between California and Florida.

If we go to CA, we would like to fly into LA, spend time with family and friends there and in San Diego. Then we would like to drive up to SF for a few days and possibly hit the wine country. We love red wine. Then fly out of SF. Is it possible to drive from San Diego to the northern part of the state? How long would it take? Would a 2 week stay in CA be sufficient?

Our other option is to go to FL. We are planning on flying into MIA and driving down to Key West for 2 nights. Then we wanted to drive back to MIA for a few nights and stay with friends. We were then planning on driving up to West Palm Beach, where we would stay at a resort for 4 nights. (this resort is already paid for, we just need to figure out the dates). We both like to SCUBA dive and realize this choice would be a more relaxing one.

So which place do people recommend? Also, which place do you think we would spend more money? Are either of these trips doable with driving from place to place?

Thanks!!
Michele
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 09:04 AM

I don't have experience with FL, but I have lots of experience with CA, so I thought I would comment on that option.

Your proposed trip is definitely doable in 2 weeks. You should take at least 3 days to drive from SD to SF, more would be better so you could see more things and take your time. With a 3 day trip up the coast, I would spend a night in or around Santa Barbara and another night in or around Monterey. I would take the coast route all the way up, possibly heading inland at Santa Cruz. If you have more time, you can either break up the segments and stay at places in between or stay more than 1 night in SB and Monterey.

There is plenty to see along the California coast. Big Sur is one of the most beautiful coastlines in the world. Hearst Castle is great. There are plenty of interesting towns along the way - Santa Barbara, Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, Cambria, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey, Capitola, Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 09:07 AM

Michkel, IMO, it is like comparing apples and oranges and I love both! Both trips sound wonderful and it all depends what you want! Florida has more doable water sports and warmer water than CA, BUT CA has better scenery and differant things to do and see. It really is up to you to decide. I think you have both pretty much figured out, you just need to flip a coin if you are having trouble deciding ;-) Judy
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 12:24 PM

Like J Correa I live in CA and agree with all things suggested that you can do here, yet you will spend more money
here on food and lodging (as my trips to FL proved to me) and as we scuba
we'd definetly chose FL as it's pretty cold and murky to dive here. OTOH, as Judyrem suggests both trips have their temptations! Flip a coin and let us know
what you decide!
R5
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 12:56 PM

When is the critical issue.

Fla. seems the obvious answer to me as it's cheaper, better scuba, more relaxing AND a paid resort for 4 nights. But I wouldn't do Fla. in summer. So June-Sept do Cal., otherwise Fla. IMO
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 12:59 PM

And now reading my post, I remembered "June gloom" in Cal so be warned.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 04:04 PM

Both trips sound equally doable given your time constraints. Given that you're including West Palm Beach and SCUBA in your Florida plans, I'd even venture that they're likely to be equally expensive or not.

Florida will be warmer, California will be drier. Don't forget that if you're planning a summer trip that hurricane. season is in effect from something like May to November. Off shore storms can create swells and murk up the water even if it doesn't directly impact your stay on the Florida coast.

With California, you stand a good chance of having to deal with fog on the Coast. This would affect you from LA to SF, but doesn't usually affect wine country which is far enough inland to be sunny and warm.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 05:17 PM

I've been to both many times, and it's a no-brainer: California first and then Florida. You can't go wrong, but California is probably the most beautiful state in the Union (and I live in fabulous Washington).
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Abi

I would definitely go with Florida oer California. I went to Ft. Lauderdale and droves down to Key West last year and really enjoyed it. Don't foret to take an airboat tour of the Everglades.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 07:09 AM

In Floria also visit the Corkscrew Swamp near Naples. However, California has so much more to offer.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 08:25 AM

From what you have said, it sounds as if Florida would be more ideal than California for you if you plan to SCUBA dive and spend time relaxing on the beach and since the resort in West Palm Beach is already paid for. For the most part, with the exception of southern California (LA and San Diego) it will be too cold and overcast (foggy) in the summer months at least, to sit out on the beach. The waather in the Pacific is also coder than the Atlantic. Down in San Diego and maybe LA it will be warm enough to go into the ocean, but definitely not north of LA.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

WOW!! You have all given some great advice! I have a feeling we are leaning towards CA. We can use the resort in FL anytime. Thank you so much for your advice and I will most certainly let you know what we plan to do. I would love to run our final plans by all of you to see what you think!

Thanks again,
Michele
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 02:15 PM

Michkel, I live in West Palm and have been to the places in California you are thinking of going. California has different types of scenery and Florida has the kick-back tropical feel. If scuba or snorkeling is your thing, then the Florida Keys is for you. Key West is a blast and then drive up to Islamorada and dive off shore at Pennicamp, the nations and perhaps the world's first underwater national park. You really don't need tanks to enjoy these beautiful reefs. You can rent an 18' or 20' boat for $150 a day, much better than diving off West Palm, unless you want to dive on wrecks. The Keys are like the Bahama's of the U.S. June is a great month, just bring VERY casual cloths and plan on relaxing. Enjoy.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 02:43 PM

You have to experience California!! I will say I am biased because I have only visited DisneyWorld when I was a kid and San Fran as an adult. You didn't say what time of year you would be there, but I know Florida is hot and humid in the spring, summer, fall... SF is a very classy city with great views, food, the bay and you are close the Napa and Sonoma Valleys as well as Big Sur. SF has outdoor opportuinites: walking, hiking, boating around Alacatraz Island, and being from Texas I loved the dry weather and the cool breezes. Everyone should experience Northern California at least once in their life.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 03:00 PM

I live in CA and travel to FL frequently-- oddly enough, almost entirely in the summer. Hot and humid doesn't begin to describe the weather in FL in summer-- but if you're spending all your time on the beach, it's much more bearable than you expect.

CA is a huge state, with surprises around every corner. The weather, for starters. Although a given area's weather stays somewhat constant year-round, go five miles in any direction and the climate will be completely different. That's the phenomenon of the microclimate. It makes generalizations very difficult.

The "June Gloom" phenomenon is well-known (in fact, we're getting some right now in Santa Monica!!), but my feeling is: So what? If you get fog in San Francisco, well, that's expected. It's part of its considerable charm. I consider the weather question to be a non-issue myself.

If you're going to hang out and do some diving (and require some fun things to do when on dry land), no question: Florida. For sheer variety of activities and spectacular natural beauty of every kind, no question: California. But either way, you win!