Reload this Page >

California trip San Fran. and Santa Cruz

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 01:24 PM
tracya.

My family is taking an unexpected trip to California in 2 weeks. We will be staying a week in Santa Cruz with friends.
I'd love some suggestions on what to see in the Santa Cruz area. I'd love to see the redwoods. I'd also like some ideas for restaurants in the area.
In San Francisco I need ideas for restaurants and fun things for kids ages 10 and 8. Thank you.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Bob

If you have the time take the kids to Monterey to the world famous Monterey Bay Aquarium. They will enjoy that.

Felton California has train rides through the redwoods. Your friends will be familar with that.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 02:02 PM
J Correa

The weather in both places is pretty nice right now, hopefully it will hold up for your visit. The end of Oct is generally when it starts to rain, but even then, the rain shouldn't be really heavy.

For Redwoods, I suggest Big Basin or Henry Cowell State Park. Since you have kids, you should consider going to Roaring Camp - it's a place in Felton, just up the hill from SC and right next to Henry Cowell. You can tour the redwoods on a narrow guage steam train.

I think the Boardwalk is still open on weekends, so that is something you could check out. Ride the Giant Dipper and have a dipped cone.

Check out the surfers along East and West Cliff drives.

Capitola Village is a nice place to spend an afternoon.

Then there is always Monterey - the Aquarium, cruises out on the bay, Cannery Row, etc.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 02:04 PM
j

Santa Cruz is overrated. A dingy boardwalk and not many good restaurants. Go into Monterey and Carmel for a nicer atmosphere.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 02:22 PM
tracya

Thank you so far for the ideas.
J our friends just bought a new home In Santa Cruz so that's why we are staying with them. We visited them there 2 years ago and loved it. We enjoyed Santa Cruz's uniqueness (sp?) and it's beauty. We were only there last time for 2 days so we are looking forward some more time there. BTW we ate some great restaurants there too.
I think we will for sure do the train ride in the redwoods,right up my 8 year old alley!

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Susan

Tracy, your friends will probably have recommendations for you, but our favorite restaurant in Santa Cruz is El Palomar in downtown. Awesome Mexican food and a beautiful place!

Up the coast past Half Moon Bay, your kids might really enjoy the Fitzgerald Marine Reserve. Amazing tide pools. Be sure to check on when the tide is out.

In SF, the zoo has just been redone and is really nice, but bring jackets just in case. You can dine at the Beach Chalet across from the beach, near Golden Gate park, and be sure to check out the WPA murals downstairs painted in 1936.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 03:49 PM
David

I second J Correa's suggestion of Big Basin and Roaring Camp (www.roaringcamp.com). Your kids should also enjoy the Monterey Bay Aquarium (http://www.mbayaq.org/) About 30 miles from Santa Cruz, just over the "hill" in San Jose, the Tech Museum of Innovation (www.thetech.org) and the Children's Discovery Museum (www.cdm.org) are also great places to take the kids. Another great idea would be the Happy Hollow Park and Zoo (http://www.happyhollowparkandzoo.org) which is a petting zoo that also has rides for kids. It is located in Kelley Park south of Downtown.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 03:56 PM
J Correa

Santa Cruz, Monterey, and Carmel are all very different places and appeal to different people. I have noticed that in general, those who really like Carmel aren't impressed with Santa Cruz and visa versa. Both have their pluses and negatives.

I agree with the recommendation for El Palomar in downtown - very good food. Pacific Ave is an interesting place all on it's own. Lots of folks down there who haven't realized that it's no longer 1967.

My favorite restaurant on the SC wharf is Stagnaros. It's near the end, great views, tasty food. The Stagnaro family has been around the area for generations. They also own Gilda's, which is also on the wharf. It's more of a coffee shop style restaurant.

Another good restaurant in SC is the Hind Quarter on Soquel Ave - it's a carnivour's paradise.

If you take a trip down to Monterey, you should stop in Moss Landing at Phil's Fish Market for some good clam chowder. I have driven down from San Jose for no other purpose than to go to Phil's.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Kim

How'd they gets get out of school? I never got to take vacations during the school year

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 11:06 AM
tracya

Thanks again everyone.Californians sure are friendly! I think we may have eaten at the El Palomar last time we were there. Does it have a high tiled ceiling? The food there was great. I love Mexican food.
I don't usually take my kids out of school,but I think travel is a great learning experience and so do my childrens teachers. They will get work to do while we are gone and I'm going to have both of them do a report on what they learned on their trip to California. The Aquarium and the redwoods should provide them with some great learning opportunities. Thanks again!

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Rita

What is the weather like in Sonoma, SF and around Carmel in mid-Nov.
Thanx

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 06:10 PM
dg

Kim: My momma (a teacher) always said, "Don't let 'school' get in the way of 'education'... sometimes experiences are better than the classroom

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:39 AM
J Correa

The weather in along the Monterey Bay in mid November is pretty unpredictable. It could be raining, the sun could be shining, it could be foggy or windy, warm or chilly - or a little of everything. SF should be similar. Dress in layers.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 01:27 PM
bodi

I enjoy Pescadero,Duarte's for lunch, Norms market for hot bread and Straus milk & butter,the very old church and cemetery and the drive up the hill to the Memorial Redwood Park for a beautiful walk to the swimming hole and then drive by all those delightful flamingos,it always makes me laugh.