Search

California or Bust

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:29 PM
Harvey

California or Bust

Hi,
We (2 couples) have been working on fine turning the following itinerary for the last 2 or 3 months. Any positive/negative feedback is very appreciated. We plan on leaving from NY on Tuesday July 23 and arriving in LA about 10 am (LA time) This would give us 1/2 day discovering LA plus the next morning when we plan on leaving for San Luis Obispo...visiting that area and the HearstCastle. On Thursday we would complete the trek to SanFran visiting Carmel by the Sea on the way. Once in SF in plan onstay for 4 nights to discover Alcatraz, SF proper and wine country (Sonoma Valley and Napa Valley). On Mondaythe 29th we will leave bright and early (8 am) for Yosemite. Our research tells us this is a 4.5 hr drive. Our plan is to stay 2 nights and head for Sequoia Nat'l Park on Aug 1, find lodging in the area and leave for LA on Friday to catch our Saturday flight home . Is this nuts....we all enjoy driving and sightseeing. Anything we missed or really need to see? Are we too late for reservations in Yosemite? Any and all help is very much appreciated. Harvey, Rose, Beth, and Dick

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:55 PM
Susan

Harvey, lodging in Yosemite will be slim pickings at this late date, but give a try with yosemitepark.com.

Your itinerary sounds fine, quite a bit of driving but you say you'll enjoy it. Be sure to do the drive along the coast of Big Sur between San Luis Obispo and Carmel, a bit white knuckle but worth it for the passengers!

You'll be a bit lagged when you arrive in LA but drive south of LAX into Manhattan Beach for a fun walk along the strand (bike/walking path on the beach) and lots of great places to sit outside and people watch with a drink. On your way north the next morning try and stop at the farmer's market on the Third Street Promenade to stock up on road snacks. You could have lunch in Santa Barbara on your way to SLO.

If you don't have lodging yet for SF you could give priceline a try. Have a look at biddingfortravel.com for a list of hotels and good pointers. People are getting some great deals in SF right now. Napa is a bit of a trek for a day trip from the city but Sonoma is an easy two hour ride away.

You are wise to drive from SF to Yosemite on a Monday, shouldn't hit much traffic. Your longest day of driving will be getting from Sequoia to Los Angeles. There's just no good and quick way to go, so leave yourselves plenty of time and be prepared to hit hellish traffic when you get into LA for the evening rush hour. Good luck!!

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:56 PM
Susan

The farmer's market I mentioned is in Santa Monica.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:30 PM
Dee Dee

Just a clarification - Sonoma isn't two hours from San Francisco. It's an hour drive. And if you head to Sonoma (town) make sure to stop at Viansa Winery and Gloria Ferrer Champagne Cellars. Both have great views and Viansa has a wonderful Italian market. If you head into downtown Sonoma make sure to check out the Mission, General Vallejo's home and the Cheese Factory. If you're interested in seeing some other wineries in the area, I recommend Ravenswood - fabulous wines, Kenwood, Chateau St. Jean, and St. Francis. If you would like to go to Northern Sonoma County, then you can't miss Healdsburg and the following wineries: Kendall Jackson, Clos du Bois, Chateau Souverain, J, Rodney Strong and Ferrari Carrano. FC gardens are amazing and worth it if you can only go to one winery. If you would like to head to Western Sonoma county then don't miss Korbel and the Bodega Bay coastline. Beautiful and my favorites.

You have an ambitious schedule. But I understand your desire to see all of California in one trip. Just remember it really is a huge state. As for some of the other things you mentioned... Hearst Castle is great. I've done tour #1 - they probably still have 4 or 5 tours. Definitely do the audio tour on Alcatraz, it's good. Have some clam chowder in a sourdough bowl at Fisherman's Wharf. Also - don't forget to bring a jacket or sweater for SF - it can get chilly on even the nicest days. Oh - I prefer Sonoma over Napa for two reasons. 1) I'm from there and there is a huge rivalry between the two counties. And 2) Sonoma wineries don't charge for tastings and are not as crowded. Plus the wines are better. And... last (because I need to get back to work...) Yosemite is amazing. But you WILL have a hard time finding a place to stay even if you're willing to camp. But Yosemite is so beautiful. You can't miss it. Ok - one more thing... when you're in SF don't miss Sausalito, the Marin Headlands (the views are spectacular), and have a drink at the Top of the Mark (Mark Hopkins Hotel). You'll thank me later.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:35 PM
xx

I personally wouldn't go to both Yosemite and Sequoia but that is a person preference thing.

Sonoma wineries do charge a fee for tasting but the fee is credited to any purchase. Both Ravenswood ($4) and Chateau St. Jean ($5) do this. Ravenswood is a much better deal. Many outstanding wines. Chateau has only 5 marginal wines for tasting.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Kevin

Someone mentioned that Sequoia to LA is hellish. I'll be going in the opposite direction, leaving LA on a Saturday morning. Will that be just as hellish? My ultimate destination is Yosemite. Should I bother stopping at Sequoia NP or King's Canyon along the way, or will I see the same in Yosemite?

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Susan

Kevin, arriving in LA during evening rush hour is hellish. If you depart LA after the morning rush hour you should be fine. It's still a good 4-5 hours.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Dayle

Hi Foursome!

A couple hints:

Your drive between LA & San Luis Obispo will be a long one. You may not have time to see Hearst Castle that day. Maybe plan for the next morning?
Also, tours for the Castle sell out in advance, so go on line & get tickets for a time you know you will be able to make.

Kevin - driving up the coast highway through Big Sur is beautiful. However, summer months = frequent heavy fog along the coast. If it's fogged in it's definitely not worth doing. You won't see a thing & it's a long slow drive, so go inland.

Have fun!

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 08:26 AM
xxx

LA to San Luis Obispo is not a really long drive. I can normally make that trip in around 3 to 3-1/2 hours depending on the time of day I leave. If you leave LA in the early morning, you can easily make a late afternoon tour time at Hearst Castle. Follow up with a nice dinner in nearby Cambria.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 09:47 AM
janis

xxx: a BIG problem with you calculation - Harvey doesn't arrive at LAX until 10 AM so they can't "leave LA in the early morning". They will be lucky to have their rental car and be on their way before about 11AM. With 45 minutes or an hour for lunch enroute, they will not get to Cambria until 4 PM at the earliest.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Carrie

Any chance of extending your trip? of course you don't want to miss Santa Barbara, Carmel/Monterey etc. You didn't mention seeing anything South of LA?? What about Disneyland, Newport Beach (Orange County)or all that San Diego has to offer? Someone mentioned Manhattan Beach....it's a cute beach town, my daughter lives there and so do lots of athletes (you might see Shaq playing volleyball on the beach there as he often does). You'll love California...someday I'd love to live there.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 11:15 AM
John

Harvey, your schedule is fine but as someone said it's a lot of driving.

Spend your day in LA close to the beach - Manhattan etc. earlier, moving up the PCH to Santa Monica/Malibu by evening, and overnight somewhere near there, so that you can get an early jump northbound the next day. Try not to stay near the airport, and in fact you might consider finding a place in the San Fernando Valley for that night - not glam but you'll thank yourself in the morning as you head north.

If you're going to Hearst Castle, find a place to stay on the coast near it, and plan on a late tour of the castle the day you arrive - call 1-800-444-4445 for reservations. Late afternoon can be magical, with the sun setting over the Pacific. The next morning you'll continue up SR1 past Big Sur to Carmel and on to SF. In late July I expect the chances of "June gloom" fog on the road will be lessened, but still a possibility. Stop for coffee or an early lunch (or late breakfast) at Nepenthe in Big Sur. One couple has to pretend they're Orson Welles & Rita Hayworth, the other Dick & Liz. Sorry, but those are the rules.

Yosemite and Sequoia are different experiences. You better get booked for accommodation ASAP for Yosemite, as someone said. The drive from Sequoia to LA is instructional (Calif. Central Valley) if not especially scenic. It will be, however, almost certainly, HOT. Imagine you're a cotton ball.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Emily

Harvey:
I traveled the California coast last July. If you plan on doing an Alcatraz tour ON the island, I would suggest holding/purchasing tickets ahead of time. I wanted to see Alcatraz more than anything in San Fran (I feel different now that I've been there - there's so much more there) and when I went to purchase tickets, the ticket-seller told me the on-island tours have been sold out for AT LEAST the next two weeks - and this was in July! We ended up doing the audio tour (as DEE DEE had mentioned) which wasn't bad, but I wanted to go on the island!!! The only other thing I can suggest is make sure you plan your time at each stop wisely, because I thought I had, but after traffic and spending more time than planned at each stop, I was cramming in the end. Have fun - I'm going out there in May - can't wait!!!

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 05:25 PM
lmsa_mc

We took our 1st trip to California last June: SF, Napa, Yosemite, Sequoia, across and back up the coast. Beautiful!
Please do not miss Sequoia & Kings Canyon. My husband liked it even more than Yosemite. You expect to see gnomes and elves around every turn!
Have a great trip.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 09:22 AM
joesorce

I'd disagree with the plan to spend time at the L.A. beaches. You'll see plenty of nicer beaches on the drive north.
10a.m is a good time to arrive, morning traffic is dwindling. I'd head north on the 405 to Westwood/Beverly Hills/UCLA (our favorite is Holiday Inn Bel Air near the Getty Center). From here you can visit the incredible Getty Center and also it's an easy drive into Beverly Hills/Sunset Strip/Hollywood sites, etc. At night restaurant row (Beverly Drive) is close at hand - a group of four is perfect for sharing salads and entrees at The Cheesecake Factory- saving room for Cheesecake! Next morning you're right at the 405 freeway north taking you to the 101 Freeway northbound to Santa Barbara (my breakfast recommendation would be Summerland Beach Cafe at the Summerland exit about an hour from Los Angeles).
L.A. traffic on Wednesday morning shouldn't be TOO hellish in the direction that you're going, however if you want to be on the safe side leave before 7:30am or after 9:45am.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 08:13 PM
kevin

How will the traffic be on a Saturday in August, leaving LA to go north to Seqoia NP? I plan to take route 5 to 99 and to leave around 10:00 a.m. Is that a good route and time? Thanks

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Doris

I just came back from Yosemite and it was beautiful. We made the drive from San Jose to Yosemite in 3 hours

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 08:55 PM
Dayle

Hi Kevin!

Traffic getting out of LA on a Saturday morning shouldn't be bad.

Good luck!