California in August

Search

California in August

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2018, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California in August

We are excited about flying from Baltimore Maryland to San Diego in Aug and plan to drive around the state for 2 weeks in August. We want to hit Sequoia Nat Park and also possibly beaches on the West coast-WE also plan to drive as far North as San Francisco. Does anyone have any must see places? We like rustic, budget lodging or camping.WE love off the beaten path..And we like art and dance...and goat farms, nature, farm markets.. Any must see or do recommendations are highly recommended! Thank you so much!
Old May 26th, 2018, 04:03 PM

https://www.fodors.com/community/uni...ations-356478/

Stu Dudley
Old May 26th, 2018, 04:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Where are you flying home from, in other words do you need to return to SD?

Figure out your itinerary and make lodging reservations for the national parks and coastal towns ASAP. On the coast in particular, there is often/usually a two-night minimum stay required between Thursday and Sunday. If your two weeks bump up against Labor Day, availability will become more scarce. National park lodging is usually booked a year in advance. Even campgrounds.

I suggest you do some research on California. It's the size of some countries with more to see/do than you can accomplish in two weeks, and only you can make the hard choices esp. with regard to time in cities v. small towns. FWIW, I think some of your interests (goat farms, farm markets) point more toward central and northern California while others may be easier to satisfy in the L.A. area where some of the more significant art museums are located. There are numerous commercial galleries in both L.A. and S.F.
Old May 26th, 2018, 05:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>We like rustic, budget lodging
Old May 26th, 2018, 08:08 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
This is my favorite goat farm, about an hour south of San Francisco just inland from Pescadero State Beach a mile or so inland from Hwy 1, one of the most beautiful stretches of coastline in the state: Harley Farms Goat Dairy, Award Winning Goat Cheese, Farm Dinners & Goat Tours, Pescadero, CA

This is a visit with my granddaughters:
Coastal California: Three Girls Visit Harley Farms Goat Dairy | TravelGumbo
Old May 26th, 2018, 08:08 PM

Like Jean says- some places book up months in advance- ESPECIALLY camping. And you may be very surprised to find that even budget rustic places are not budget price wise!

My favorite area in california is gold country. I like the Columbia historic park and the caves. Forestiere underground garden may appeal to you- it’s really neat.

There are a number of interesting hostels in California and that may work out for you budget and availability wise. Look up hostellling International. The lighthouse hostels are the best, but really I liked all of them, and the one near yosemite often has space available this late.
Old May 26th, 2018, 08:13 PM

PS - There's camping very near Pescadero and the goat farm, campsites in a big grove of coast redwoods, bookable in advance:
https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=536
Old May 26th, 2018, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by MmePerdu
PS - There's camping very near Pescadero and the goat farm, campsites in a big grove of coast redwoods, bookable in advance:
https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=536
I got all excited, and then realized the reason I didn’t check Butano before was that it had no showers😢
Old May 26th, 2018, 08:20 PM

One more time . . . as marvelousmouse mentions above, there's also a lighthouse with a hostel, also near Pescadero (a bit farther than Butano SP). Book ASAP if it appeals. I stayed once and here we are there:

Hostel: Coastal California: The Pigeon Point Hostel | TravelGumbo
Lighthouse: Coastal California: Pigeon Point Lighthouse | TravelGumbo
Old May 26th, 2018, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by MmePerdu
This is my favorite goat farm, about an hour south of San Francisco just inland from Pescadero State Beach a mile or so inland from Hwy 1, one of the most beautiful stretches of coastline in the state: Harley Farms Goat Dairy, Award Winning Goat Cheese, Farm Dinners & Goat Tours, Pescadero, CA

This is a visit with my granddaughters:
Coastal California: Three Girls Visit Harley Farms Goat Dairy | TravelGumbo

Hey - this is new to me!!! We will have to pay it a visit. This is our kinda stuff!!

Stu Dudley
Old May 27th, 2018, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

This is excellent advice and thank you so much! We have to fly back from San Diego.
Old May 27th, 2018, 02:08 AM
Original Poster

Oh wow! I went to Harleys Goat farm last year and it was closed on the day we went! It looks amazing. Thank you very much!
Old May 27th, 2018, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

Your grand daughters are adorable and I cant wait to read the article about Harley Goat Farm! We will go for sure and i will share the article!
Old May 27th, 2018, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much! We will look into this area. I realize CA is expensive- our last trip was to Panama so we got spoiled with inexpensive lodging...
Old May 27th, 2018, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

I will definitely look into this. Thank you!
Old May 27th, 2018, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by StuDudley
Hey - this is new to me!!! We will have to pay it a visit. This is our kinda stuff!! Stu Dudley
Good heavens - new to Stu, must be some sort of award for that!
Old May 27th, 2018, 07:12 AM

This is what I like about living in the Bay Area. All kinds of new stuff to see. Last year I saved something you posted about Hakone Estate & Gardens. New to me also. If we ever get some good weather here so the flowering plants can bloom (our roses are lookin' lousy) - we'll pay it a visit.

Stu Dudley
Old May 27th, 2018, 07:52 AM

If you're coming to the Monterey Peninsula, there are two events that will affect hotel availability in August. The US Amateur Championship https://www.pebblebeach.com/events/2018-us-amateur/ and Car Week which starts right after the US Amateur. Car Week will have a bigger impact with motels in Monterey charging $400 and up toward the latter part of the week.
Old May 27th, 2018, 09:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have to return to San Diego to fly home, consider making your car rental one way and taking a flight back to SD. Overall, it will be more expensive, but trying to drive most of the length of California in two days will cost time. Money v. time. Your call.

If you're not seeing family or have some specific reason for flying in/out of SD, consider changing your flights to another city in California more central to where you want to explore.
Old May 27th, 2018, 10:49 AM

I agree with Jean. Why San Diego? August is the perfect time to be in Northern California so consider flying into San Jose or San Francisco.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -